Search Disk & Outlines

  • Julie
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2003
      Hi,

      In using the search disk function with text files, the file opens at the
      point of the first occurrence of the search term in the file. It doesn't
      work this way with outline files... the outline opens at the beginning of
      the file. Is it not possible for the outline file to open at the first
      occurrence because of the file format?

      Julie
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2003
        Hi Julie,

        I don't know if it is because of the format, but that is the way it
        works. <g> Outlines do not remember cursor position when reopened,
        nor do they remember bookmarks when switching topics. As far as your
        situation goes, I'd copy the search criteria and then paste it in the
        Find dialog once it opens. I think that is about the best you are
        going to get unless you build a Clip to do it. (We do not have a Search
        Disk Clip command, but you can use the Keyboard command.)

        >In using the search disk function with text files, the file opens
        >at the point of the first occurrence of the search term in the
        >file. It doesn't work this way with outline files... the
        >outline opens at the beginning of the file. Is it not possible
        >for the outline file to open at the first occurrence because of
        >the file format?

        Happy Tab'n,
        Jody Adair

        NoteTabbers Assistant Page Clean-Funnies dot com
        http://www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
      • Julie
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 8, 2003
          Hi Jody,

          >I don't know if it is because of the format, but that is the way it
          >works. <g> Outlines do not remember cursor position when reopened,
          >nor do they remember bookmarks when switching topics. As far as your
          >situation goes, I'd copy the search criteria and then paste it in the
          >Find dialog once it opens. I think that is about the best you are
          >going to get unless you build a Clip to do it. (We do not have a Search
          >Disk Clip command, but you can use the Keyboard command.)

          Yeah, that's the way I've been doing it. I've been playing around with
          archiving the Y! ntb-clips messages in an outline format. One of the best
          ways to understanding syntax and usage of the Clip language for me has been
          using disk search in the Libraries directory. I was hoping to do the same
          with the outlines. I was hoping it was a fluke, but, as you said, a clip
          can take care it.

          Julie