How to embed control codes

  • epement
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
      I have NoteTab Pro. I want to embed or insert control codes like Ctrl-
      F (0x06), Ctrl-\ (0x2C), DEL (0x7F), or high-bit characters like 0xFE
      into an otherwise standard ASCII textfile. This is sometimes called
      an "insert literal" function in other text editors. How can I do this
      with NoteTab? I've tried reading the help files and they seem
      ambiguous on this point.

      For example, in the Help file FAQ under "How do I set attributes for
      individual text elements?", it says, "Since NoteTab is a 'plain text'
      editor, it only saves documents as text without any control codes."
      Yet other questions show that NoteTab has an option to "filter binary
      codes" and that it can also handle EBCDIC files or other types
      (except that it uses a null to mark the end-of-file).

      I've tried holding down the ALT key and pressing the decimal values
      on the numeric keypad (then releasing the ALT key), with limited
      success on certain common characters, such as ALT-130 for an
      accented "e" as in fiancée or exposé, but I can't see the full
      range of characters for Ctrl-D, Ctrl-F, DEL, and so forth. Can anyone
      suggest a solution for NoteTab? Thanks in advance.

      --
      Eric Pement
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
        Hi epement,

        I believe you can only use the tokens for the following (other than doing Clips.

        The Find and Replace dialog boxes accept tokens to represent special characters:

        ^T = Tab ($09)
        ^B = Page break ($0C)
        ^P = Paragraph (carriage-return/line-feed pair)

        The following are not available in NoteTab Pro:

        ^C = Carriage-return ($0D)
        ^L = Line-feed ($0A)

        There are many more of the following functions. One or more
        should hopefully do what you need. You'll need to sign up for
        the Clips list to discuss them or get help with writing Clips.
        Please see my signature line to subscribe to it. TIA

        ^$CharToDec(Character)$ (added in v4.8)
        Returns the decimal value of Character. Example:
        ^$CharToDec(S)$ -> 83

        ^$DecToChar(Decimal)$ (added in v4.8)
        Returns the character corresponding to the decimal value. Example:
        ^$DecToChar(83)$ -> S
        Note that you should avoid converting the following decimal values 1, 4, 5, and 6 to characters as they have a special meaning for the Clip interpreter.

        ^$HexToInt(Value)$ (added in v4.52)
        Returns the specified hexadecimal value as an integer.

        ^$IntToHex(Value)$ (added in v4.52)
        Returns the specified integer value as an hexadecimal number. In version 4.8, also returns the ANSI hex code of single character if Char does not represent a number.

        >I have NoteTab Pro. I want to embed or insert control codes like Ctrl-
        >F (0x06), Ctrl-\ (0x2C), DEL (0x7F), or high-bit characters like 0xFE
        >into an otherwise standard ASCII textfile. This is sometimes called
        >an "insert literal" function in other text editors. How can I do this
        >with NoteTab? I've tried reading the help files and they seem
        >ambiguous on this point.

        Happy Clip'n!
        Jody

        http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
          Hi Jody,

          At 03:44 PM 10/1/03 -0500, you wrote:
          >Hi epement,
          >
          >I believe you can only use the tokens for the following (other than doing
          Clips.

          >The Find and Replace dialog boxes accept tokens to represent special
          characters:

          > ^T = Tab ($09)
          > ^B = Page break ($0C)
          > ^P = Paragraph (carriage-return/line-feed pair)

          You can enter many other codes by hoding down the alt key and typing in the
          decimal number and then releasing the alt key. There are two problems here
          though. You must use an extra zero for the first number for codes above
          127. Example is that Alt plust 130 and releasing Alt will not work. Alt
          and 0130 an releast Alt will work correctly. Also you cannot use this
          method on the control codes from 0 through 30.

          Regards,

          Larry
          lrt@... e¿ê
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
            Hi Larry,

            It's funny how we do something all the time and it just doesn't
            ring a bell when asked about it. ;) You can use the regular
            Windows Character Map (CharMap.exe) to get the keystroke. You
            can go to Start | Run and type in "charmap" without the quotes to
            run it. If it does not start you might need to load it from your
            Windows CD. Go to Add/Remove Programs | System Tools and check
            the box to add the Character Map tool. Please go to the Off
            Topic list if you need to discuss any of that that doesn't have
            anything to do with the basic use of NoteTab. Please see my
            signature line to subscribe to it. TIA

            >You can enter many other codes by hoding down the alt key and
            >typing in the decimal number and then releasing the alt key.
            >There are two problems here though. You must use an extra zero
            >for the first number for codes above 127. Example is that Alt
            >plust 130 and releasing Alt will not work. Alt and 0130 an
            >releast Alt will work correctly. Also you cannot use this method
            >on the control codes from 0 through 30.

            Happy Topics,
            Jody

            The NoteTab Off-Topic List
            Options for Off Topic List
            All Fookes Software YahooGroups lists:
            http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
          • epement
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 6, 2003
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jody <av1611@e...> wrote:

              > ring a bell when asked about it. ;) You can use the regular
              > Windows Character Map (CharMap.exe) to get the keystroke.

              and from Larry,

              > >You can enter many other codes by hoding down the alt key and
              > >typing in the decimal number and then releasing the alt key.
              > >There are two problems here though. You must use an extra zero
              > >for the first number for codes above 127. Example is that Alt
              > >plust 130 and releasing Alt will not work. Alt and 0130 an
              > >releast Alt will work correctly. Also you cannot use this method
              > >on the control codes from 0 through 30.

              Thanks so much for these direct and helpful replies. I appreciate
              your input and assistance!!

              --
              Eric Pement