Re: [NTB] How to replace a string containing quote characters

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 29, 2003
      Phil:

      > I am new to notetab, so forgive me for asking a question that may
      > have already been answered or may need to be sent to a different
      > group. Not sure if this is a clips question or not.

      Usually REGEXP including anything that can be done in the Find/Replace
      dialog is fair game for the basic forum (this one). When it gets more
      complicated it goes to clips list.

      <soapbox> :-)
      Look up regular expressions in NoteTab Help and then play around with it to
      discover the wonderful world of REGEXP. After a while when you come across a
      program that says it supports regexps you'll jump right in with enthusiasm
      rather than saying "too geeky - how can I find another way"
      </soapbox>

      > In the search and replace function I need to be able to replace
      > multiple different searches with one single replace.
      >
      > Example:
      >
      > Search for: example1, example2, example3,,etc
      > Replace with: new value1

      Check [Regular expressions used]

      either:
      Find=(example1)|(example2)|(example3)|( example4)
      Replace=new value1

      ie. enumerate all the possibilities and replace them all with EXACTLY the
      same thing

      or
      Find=example[0-9]
      Replace=newvalue1

      if what you are looking for is EXACTLY the word "example" followed by a
      single digit and all occurances are to be replaced by the same replacement

      or
      Find=example{[0-9]+}
      Replace=newvalue\1

      if the text "example" followed by an arbitrary length number is to replaced
      by "newvalue" without changing the number.

      Regards ... Alec