RE: [NTB] Token definitions

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2003
      > Hi notetabclikz,
      >
      > At 03:49 PM 9/28/03 -0000, you wrote:
      > >I have searched the NoteTab help files but can't find any definition
      > >of a "token", only examples. Is there a formal definition somewhere,
      > >that lists all existing tokens and the rules how to write and use a
      > >token?
      >
      > If you go to the menu bar and select Help/Help Topics/Reference
      > Information/Dialog Boxes/Find and Replace Dialog Boxes, you will see just
      > over half way down the page:

      But these are probably all "examples" according to notetabclikz!

      Token, is this context, is not some weird "computerspeak" but is being used
      in conventional English.

      My dictionary says:

      A sign: a symbol

      and goes on with a number of other definitions.

      Where the Help file says:

      The Find and Replace dialog boxes accept tokens to represent special
      characters:

      that is because you can't use the real character there as it would not have
      the desired effect. You need to use a substitute, a symbol or a token to do
      the job.

      Larry's quote then goes on to provide the list you require.

      Greg