How to replace a string containing quote characters

  • notetabclikz
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 28, 2003
      I want to write a clip that search and replace a text string that
      contains double quote characters. How can I do that?

      Search for: this is "example" 1
      Change to: this is example 1

      I tried with these clips:
      ^!Replace 'this is "example" 1' >> 'this is example 1'
      ^!Replace "this is ""example"" 1" >> "this is example 1"
      but they don't work.
    • Julie
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 28, 2003
        Hi,

        Since your question is related to clip writing, you may want to join the
        Clips list @
        Ntb-Clips-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        and meet the very helpful folks there :-).

        Here are some other helpful addresses for the Clips list for subscription
        management...

        Send mail to the list: Ntb-Clips@yahoogroups.com
        Switch to digest: Ntb-Clips-digest@yahoogroups.com
        Swich to Nomail: Ntb-Clips-nomail@yahoogroups.com
        Switch to normal mail: Ntb-Clips-normal@yahoogroups.com
        Subscribe: Ntb-Clips-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Julie

        >I want to write a clip that search and replace a text string that
        >contains double quote characters. How can I do that?
        >
        >Search for: this is "example" 1
        >Change to: this is example 1
        >
        >I tried with these clips:
        >^!Replace 'this is "example" 1' >> 'this is example 1'
        >^!Replace "this is ""example"" 1" >> "this is example 1"
        >but they don't work.
      • Edmondson, Phil J [ITS]
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 29, 2003
          I am new to notetab, so forgive me for asking a question that may have already been answered or may need to be sent to a different group. Not sure if this is a clips question or not.

          In the search and replace function I need to be able to replace multiple different searches with one single replace.

          Example:

          Search for: example1, example2, example3, example4,etc
          Replace with: new value1

          Is this possible ?

          Thanks
        • Don Passenger
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 29, 2003
            I think the answer is clips in nature and should be asked on that list.

            If you want to look for each instance of either:
            example 1
            or
            example 2
            or
            example 3
            or
            example 4

            and there is a common theme like example # and you want all of them replaced
            with the same value, then a regex (regular expression) entered in the normal
            search and replace box may suffice. Again however, the clips people will be
            right on something like that.

            --

            Don Passenger

            If you need an html fix visit
            http://www.htmlfixit.com

            to fix your problems
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 29, 2003
              Hi all!

              I was wondering if anyone kept the digests?

              I have had a very weird "bug" happen. I choose the word "bug" carefully,
              since no one, anywhere, has ever heard of this. Even I would tell you it's
              your imagination. Uninstalling software seems to delete my profile, which
              contains Outlook and Outlook Express, mail files, Favorites, Temporary
              Internet Files, settings for FTP programs, NT Back-up catalogues, and many
              more important items.

              So I lost that. I rebuilt from back-up and was working on my computer
              again. Evidently, since I mapped the drives to the back-ups, the next time
              I uninstalled something -- 2 weeks later -- it searched through all my
              drives and deleted my back-ups. My tale of woe. I find myself strangely
              grieving!

              My 5 year calendar, contacts, receipts, registrations, invoices, genealogy
              contacts, etc., are gone. Ironically, I have become a back-up fanatic.
              I've been backing up daily, refreshing every hour if I'm working. I just
              had to reboot because of stupid satellite issues, and an uninstall deleted
              the profile again. At least I have the last 3 days' work in back-up! I'm
              losing my mind on this one. But that's another rant. (Any suggestions or
              ideas?)

              Anyway, I'm looking for my lists' digests back to August 2 of 2002. If you
              happen to be an anal collector as I am, please email me privately?
              Christine@....

              I appreciate anyone's time and help. Thank you in advance!

              Christine
            • Christine

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 29, 2003
                  Phil:

                  > I am new to notetab, so forgive me for asking a question that may
                  > have already been answered or may need to be sent to a different
                  > group. Not sure if this is a clips question or not.

                  Usually REGEXP including anything that can be done in the Find/Replace
                  dialog is fair game for the basic forum (this one). When it gets more
                  complicated it goes to clips list.

                  <soapbox> :-)
                  Look up regular expressions in NoteTab Help and then play around with it to
                  discover the wonderful world of REGEXP. After a while when you come across a
                  program that says it supports regexps you'll jump right in with enthusiasm
                  rather than saying "too geeky - how can I find another way"
                  </soapbox>

                  > In the search and replace function I need to be able to replace
                  > multiple different searches with one single replace.
                  >
                  > Example:
                  >
                  > Search for: example1, example2, example3,,etc
                  > Replace with: new value1

                  Check [Regular expressions used]

                  either:
                  Find=(example1)|(example2)|(example3)|( example4)
                  Replace=new value1

                  ie. enumerate all the possibilities and replace them all with EXACTLY the
                  same thing

                  or
                  Find=example[0-9]
                  Replace=newvalue1

                  if what you are looking for is EXACTLY the word "example" followed by a
                  single digit and all occurances are to be replaced by the same replacement

                  or
                  Find=example{[0-9]+}
                  Replace=newvalue\1

                  if the text "example" followed by an arbitrary length number is to replaced
                  by "newvalue" without changing the number.

                  Regards ... Alec