Re: [NTB] Joining lines - bug or feature ?

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
      Hi John,

      I think what is happening is Eric attempts to keep links and clip
      code together (no spaces added) which is good. However, it
      appears, he did not consider when a url ends and begins treating
      it all as part of a link. (I have seen some javascript that has
      two "http://..." in the script, FWIW.) I don't know if it is a
      bug or oversight, but we know there needs to be a space in
      between two links.

      >When I go Modify - lines - join lines the results seem
      >inconsistent. For example, suppose I start with ;
      >
      >tom
      >dick
      >harry
      >
      >Doing the above results in ;
      >
      >tom dick harry
      >
      >Okay, the line returns have been replaced with a space.
      >
      >Now suppose I start with
      >
      ><http://www.eclipse.org/>http://www.eclipse.org/
      >http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php
      >
      >Doing the above results in ;
      >
      ><http://www.eclipse.org/http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php>http://www.eclipse.org/http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php
      >
      >Okay, the line return has NOT been replaced with a space.
      >Is that a bug or a feature ?
      >When are spaces inserted and when aren't they ?

      Happy Tab'n,
      Jody Adair

      NoteTabbers Assistant Page Clean-Funnies dot com
      http://www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com

    • Eric G.V. Fookes
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
        Hi everyone,

        It's a feature. If a line ends with "/" or "-", then NoteTab won't add a
        blank space after it. I included "/" so that the join line feature can be
        used to easily unwrap long URLs. However, as you've noticed, the feature
        doesn't check what kind of data you're joining. As a result, it is not
        smart enough to check is a URL should be joined or not.

        Regards,
        --Eric

        At 03:12 04/09/2003 -0500, you wrote:
        >Hi John,
        >
        >I think what is happening is Eric attempts to keep links and clip
        >code together (no spaces added) which is good. However, it
        >appears, he did not consider when a url ends and begins treating
        >it all as part of a link. (I have seen some javascript that has
        >two "http://..." in the script, FWIW.) I don't know if it is a
        >bug or oversight, but we know there needs to be a space in
        >between two links.
        >
        > >When I go Modify - lines - join lines the results seem
        > >inconsistent. For example, suppose I start with ;
        > >
        > >tom
        > >dick
        > >harry
        > >
        > >Doing the above results in ;
        > >
        > >tom dick harry
        > >
        > >Okay, the line returns have been replaced with a space.
        > >
        > >Now suppose I start with
        > >
        > ><http://www.eclipse.org/>http://www.eclipse.org/
        > >http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php
        > >
        > >Doing the above results in ;
        > >
        > ><http://www.eclipse.org/http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php>http:/
        > /www.eclipse.org/http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php
        > >
        > >Okay, the line return has NOT been replaced with a space.
        > >Is that a bug or a feature ?
        > >When are spaces inserted and when aren't they ?

        Regards,
        Eric G.V. Fookes
        Author of NoteTab, Mailbag Assistant, and Easy Imager