Re: [NTB] my eyes - I see ads!

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
      I've heard others, on other lists say this kind of thing can take a
      substantial period of time to propogate to all the servers. I don't know
      whether that's just baffle-gab or a real explanation. FWIW: it hasn't ever
      happened to me. I've set every list I've joined to NOT convert text to HTML
      and only those that use HTML originated by the sender deliberately ever show
      the "spinning wheels" etc.

      Funny how Yahoo-groups makes converting text to html sound like a good
      thing:-)

      FWIW - I've never seen my settings get automagically changed.

      Regards ... Alec

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
        >I've heard others, on other lists say this kind of thing can take a
        >substantial period of time to propogate to all the servers.

        That's encouraging. >:-(
        Thanks, now I know it's just me.

        >FWIW - I've never seen my settings get automagically changed.

        I'm not sure. It might have happened with other settings earlier but my memory isn't totally clear. I never go there if I can help it so I'm not likely to screw things up by mistake. Last time was 2-3 weeks ago when I changed email address for these lists and was extra careful with the options. So whatever changed it since then it wasn't me.

        P.S. They aren't banners anymore, they are #@%$ skyscrapers!

        Lotta
      • Mike Hopkins
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
          Of course you are special!
          That doesn't have anything to do with spinning wheels or banner ads, though.
          You are special everytime you answer someone's question on the lists.

          Mike
          ironmike@...

          > I see spinning ads and html formatting in the posts. It started earlier
          today. I logged in to yahoogroups and my prefs were changed to HTML. Pffft!
          I changed them back. I still get ads, about 15 hours later. Does this happen
          to everyone or am I special?

          > Lotta

        • Larry Thomas
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
            Hi Lotto,

            At 01:29 PM 9/1/03 +0200, you wrote:

            >>I've heard others, on other lists say this kind of thing can take a
            >>substantial period of time to propogate to all the servers.
            >
            >That's encouraging. >:-(
            >Thanks, now I know it's just me.
            >
            >>FWIW - I've never seen my settings get automagically changed.
            >
            >I'm not sure. It might have happened with other settings earlier but my
            memory isn't totally clear. I never go there if I can help it so I'm not
            likely to screw things up by mistake. Last time was 2-3 weeks ago when I
            changed email address for these lists and was extra careful with the
            options. So whatever changed it since then it wasn't me.

            >P.S. They aren't banners anymore, they are #@%$ skyscrapers!

            I am wondering just how much longer we have. The spammers and worm mongers
            are taking over it appears. They are now out vandalizing/changing websites
            without the users permission and these email delay's suggest that the
            excessive unwanted email is starting to plug up the system like an
            overflowing toilet. I wish that I knew what the answer is but I fear that
            if this is to continue we will eventually lose what we have.

            I suspect that a hacker/vandal has gotten into these websites and is
            experimenting with changing them.
            I would now suggest that we move on to other topics. Anyway, I have no
            more to say on this.

            Regards,

            Larry
            lrt@... e¿ê
          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
              Lotta:

              > P.S. They aren't banners anymore, they are #@%$ skyscrapers!

              This wanders perilously close to being off-topic (forgive me this once
              Jody), but if the skyscrapers you're talking about are the banners on the
              Yahoo-groups web-site pages as opposed to the ones at the bottom of HTML
              format email FROM yahoo-groups, you should definitely consider Proxomitron.
              They've got some filters specifically designed to tame the Yahoo-groups
              websites so that they are actually quite pleasant to visit :-)

              Regards ... Alec

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 3, 2003
                  Hi Lotta and Others,

                  It happens to us all sooner or later especially for frequent
                  posters. I've been getting so bombarded with worms, way too many
                  messages, etc. It is hard just trying to keep up with the daily
                  routine. Gee, do the lists come with a frequent poster plan like
                  frequent flyers. ;) OffTopic mailto: link in my sig-line to
                  subscribe.

                  Lotta wrote:
                  >It was off topic to begin with. My apologies to everyone.

                  Happy Topics,
                  Jody

                  The NoteTab Off-Topic List
                  All Fookes Software YahooGroups lists: