Preview in browser help

  • Pixie
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2003
      Hi all,

      I've been evaluating NTPro and I use Mozilla Firebird which is also
      set as my default browser.

      When I use the browser preview button/command from NoteTab the browser
      loads and then shows what seems to be a random url -- sometimes microsoft,
      sometimes yahoo, etc. I figure it only appears as random but I have not
      really examined the pattern for very long.

      This behavior occurs with or without the path/filename being
      specified in either primary or other browser setting. I'm guessing
      it's simply some incompatibility of how NT relays a url to a browser
      but figured I would see if anyone else is aware of the problem and
      knows of a fix.

      My email to Fookes hasn't been responded to so far -- seems to be
      widespread email problems on the net for the past few days.

      -- Pixie
    • Pixie
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
        ..just a side note, I can't see that it's relevant but it hard to tell
        the real software requirements anymore and MS IE among other MS apps
        seem to get more and more relied upon in peoples code..

        I run a minimal system in that I have been very selective on what I
        have added. FB was on the system before IE 5.01 +, under duress I had
        to install 5.5 for an app that I preferred to install.

        Running the last of the 95 shell, no active desktop or HTML binding
        to desktop, explorer, etc.

        Per the Fookes site I appear to be within the compatibility spread
        however I've yet to get details from them yet on the specifics. Site
        really doesn't elaborate on requirements any.

        However, I also have a 98 and 2K install that have this problem with
        NTB and FB..

        Ultimately I'll NEED IE on here unless I decide to part with a couple
        programs I like, or will have Opera as a backup Browser.

        I just fail to see how this should be any problem, after all I can 2-clik
        an HTML file and load FB -- what's the complexity getting an app to
        mimic the same.. :-)

        -- Pixie
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2003
          Hi Pixie,

          >My email to Fookes hasn't been responded to so far -- seems to be
          >widespread email problems on the net for the past few days.

          I believe I replied to your message the same day I received it if
          you are speaking of the "GIF License Status" for our freeware
          Easy Thumbnails. Anyway, here is some more information, but we do
          need to bring it over to either Album Express or Easy Imager lists
          if we want to discuss it more. http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

          It also pertains to Easy Imager and Album Express. I replied to
          your question with, "No, not yet [GIF support] because that is
          only one of the copyrights, but we should [may] be releasing a US
          version of our image software since the copyright has expired
          there." http://www.fookes.com/products.htm

          Eric "slam dunked" me on this earlier message:

          Subject: Re: GIF support

          Hi Jody,

          Just a couple of corrections for next time ;-) The GIF thing is
          not a copyright but a patent issue. Unix has nothing to do with
          it, but Unisys does. Furthermore, it's going to be a year still
          before I can distribute software on the Internet with GIF
          support. This was something I only discovered a few weeks ago.
          Here's what I wrote about it on my Web site:

          "The LZW compression algorithm used in Compuserve's GIF file
          format and in some TIFF files requires licensing from UniSys, as
          they have a patent on the algorithm. Unfortunately, the heavy
          licensing fee and restrictions on distribution currently force us
          to disable these file formats in Easy Imager. The U.S. LZW patent
          expired June 20, 2003, the counterpart Canadian patent expires
          July 7, 2004, the counterpart patents in the United Kingdom,
          France, Germany and Italy expire June 18, 2004, and the Japanese
          counterpart patents expire June 20, 2004. Easy Imager will
          support GIF and LZW TIFF files after the LZW patent expires in
          all countries (June 20, 2004)."

          --Eric

          Happy Pic'n!
          Jody Adair

          UnSubscribe, Options
          mailto:EzImager-UnSubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          Go here for useful Text and HTML products;
          try before buy shareware and no-nag freeware:
        • Pixie
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 5, 2003
            On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 19:49:13 -0500 GMT, Jody wrote:

            J> Hi Pixie,

            >>My email to Fookes hasn't been responded to so far -- seems to be
            >>widespread email problems on the net for the past few days.

            J> I believe I replied to your message the same day I received it if
            J> you are speaking of the "GIF License Status" for our freeware

            Nope, that was someone else. No harm done. I'll go ahead and resend
            my original message and see what happens. Hopefully the worms and so
            forth have eaten all they want for now.

            --
            Pixie
          • Pixie
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 5, 2003
              On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 19:49:13 -0500 GMT, Jody wrote:

              Hi Jody,

              Do you have the full thread of this message? Any suggestions on the
              browser problem?

              If you prefer I'll send the browser problem to the email address.. Either
              which way. It would be nice to get the problem resolved though if possible.

              --
              Pixie
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 5, 2003
                Hi Pixie,

                Ray brought it over to the HTML list since it really is more
                about testing html pages.

                Mine
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/notetab/message/15586
                Ray's
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-html/message/4032

                >Do you have the full thread of this message? Any suggestions on the
                >browser problem?
                >
                >If you prefer I'll send the browser problem to the email address.. Either
                >which way. It would be nice to get the problem resolved though if possible.

                Happy html'n!

                www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
              • Pixie
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 5, 2003
                  On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 06:21:59 -0500 GMT, Jody wrote:

                  J> Ray brought it over to the HTML list since it really is more
                  J> about testing html pages.

                  uh, ok.. Just trying to get it to pass any page. I wasn't aware
                  the message/topic moved -- not a member of the html group.

                  --
                  Pixie