Joining lines - bug or feature ?

  • John Fitzsimons
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 21, 2003
      Hi,

      When I go Modify - lines - join lines the results seem inconsistent.
      For example, suppose I start with ;

      tom
      dick
      harry

      Doing the above results in ;

      tom dick harry

      Okay, the line returns have been replaced with a space.

      Now suppose I start with

      http://www.eclipse.org/
      http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php

      Doing the above results in ;

      http://www.eclipse.org/http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php

      Okay, the line return has NOT been replaced with a space.

      Is that a bug or a feature ?

      When are spaces inserted and when aren't they ?

      Comments anyone please ?

      Regards, John.
    • loro
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 21, 2003
        John Fitzsimons wrote:
        >When I go Modify - lines - join lines the results seem inconsistent.
        >For example, suppose I start with ;
        >
        >tom
        >dick
        >harry
        >
        >Doing the above results in ;
        >
        >tom dick harry
        >
        >Okay, the line returns have been replaced with a space.
        >
        >Now suppose I start with
        >
        >http://www.eclipse.org/
        >http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php
        >
        >Doing the above results in ;
        >
        >http://www.eclipse.org/http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php
        >
        >Okay, the line return has NOT been replaced with a space.
        >
        >Is that a bug or a feature ?

        Don't know but I hope it's a bug. I just noticed this the other day. It happens with slashes and hyphens but not with backslashes, underscores, @ and so on.

        Lotta
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 22, 2003
          NoteTab/Wordweb users,

          For those interested, and who use it, there is an updated version of the
          FREE WordWeb(v 2.2).

          I don't know if there are any major changes, just installed yesterday,
          but the old version I had was v1.62 so here's hoping it is an improvement.

          I installed the New over Old and it still works with the hotkey(F12).
          If you might want to upgrade here's the link;

          http://wordweb.info/free/

          hrs
        • Larry Thomas
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 22, 2003
            Hi John,

            At 10:18 AM 8/22/03 +1000, you wrote:

            >Hi,
            >
            >When I go Modify - lines - join lines the results seem inconsistent.
            >For example, suppose I start with ;
            >
            >tom
            >dick
            >harry
            >
            >Doing the above results in ;
            >
            >tom dick harry
            >
            >Okay, the line returns have been replaced with a space.
            >
            >Now suppose I start with
            >
            >http://www.eclipse.org/
            >http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php
            >
            >Doing the above results in ;
            >
            >http://www.eclipse.org/http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php
            >
            >Okay, the line return has NOT been replaced with a space.
            >
            >Is that a bug or a feature ?
            >
            >When are spaces inserted and when aren't they ?
            >
            >Comments anyone please ?

            It could be a bug or not but I believe that it is the way that the feature
            normally should work. Basically, the Join Lines and Break Lines feature
            tries to follow rules for normal text precessing for messages and common
            sentence and paragraph handling. Things like NoteTab clips and Perl
            scripts and some html links do not follow the normal sentence rules when it
            comes to hyphens and several forms of punctuation. That is one of the
            reasons that some of the efforts to restore long lines that have been
            wrapped and divided up into several shorter lines sometimes fail to restore
            back to the form intended by the original clip author. The "join lines"
            feature will treat the clip code as a regular sentence and add or remove a
            space at a crucial point, causing the restored clip to fail. That is why I
            like UUEncode so well because it seems to be pretty much immune to this
            problem. The only problem with UUEncode is that the people who copy it
            from the web get it garbled by Yahoogroups in some way. If you receive it
            in regular email, then it works just fine.

            Regards,

            Larry
            lrt@... e¿ê
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
              Hi John,

              I think what is happening is Eric attempts to keep links and clip
              code together (no spaces added) which is good. However, it
              appears, he did not consider when a url ends and begins treating
              it all as part of a link. (I have seen some javascript that has
              two "http://..." in the script, FWIW.) I don't know if it is a
              bug or oversight, but we know there needs to be a space in
              between two links.

              >When I go Modify - lines - join lines the results seem
              >inconsistent. For example, suppose I start with ;
              >
              >tom
              >dick
              >harry
              >
              >Doing the above results in ;
              >
              >tom dick harry
              >
              >Okay, the line returns have been replaced with a space.
              >
              >Now suppose I start with
              >
              ><http://www.eclipse.org/>http://www.eclipse.org/
              >http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php
              >
              >Doing the above results in ;
              >
              ><http://www.eclipse.org/http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php>http://www.eclipse.org/http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php
              >
              >Okay, the line return has NOT been replaced with a space.
              >Is that a bug or a feature ?
              >When are spaces inserted and when aren't they ?

              Happy Tab'n,
              Jody Adair

              NoteTabbers Assistant Page Clean-Funnies dot com
              http://www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com

            • Eric G.V. Fookes
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
                Hi everyone,

                It's a feature. If a line ends with "/" or "-", then NoteTab won't add a
                blank space after it. I included "/" so that the join line feature can be
                used to easily unwrap long URLs. However, as you've noticed, the feature
                doesn't check what kind of data you're joining. As a result, it is not
                smart enough to check is a URL should be joined or not.

                Regards,
                --Eric

                At 03:12 04/09/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                >Hi John,
                >
                >I think what is happening is Eric attempts to keep links and clip
                >code together (no spaces added) which is good. However, it
                >appears, he did not consider when a url ends and begins treating
                >it all as part of a link. (I have seen some javascript that has
                >two "http://..." in the script, FWIW.) I don't know if it is a
                >bug or oversight, but we know there needs to be a space in
                >between two links.
                >
                > >When I go Modify - lines - join lines the results seem
                > >inconsistent. For example, suppose I start with ;
                > >
                > >tom
                > >dick
                > >harry
                > >
                > >Doing the above results in ;
                > >
                > >tom dick harry
                > >
                > >Okay, the line returns have been replaced with a space.
                > >
                > >Now suppose I start with
                > >
                > ><http://www.eclipse.org/>http://www.eclipse.org/
                > >http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php
                > >
                > >Doing the above results in ;
                > >
                > ><http://www.eclipse.org/http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php>http:/
                > /www.eclipse.org/http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php
                > >
                > >Okay, the line return has NOT been replaced with a space.
                > >Is that a bug or a feature ?
                > >When are spaces inserted and when aren't they ?

                Regards,
                Eric G.V. Fookes
                Author of NoteTab, Mailbag Assistant, and Easy Imager