Re: [NTB] Re: NTP keeping files open after closing

  • Robert Romberger
    Message 1 of 56 , Aug 20, 2003
      On 20 Aug 2003 at 18:29, Ganchrow Harris Peck wrote:

      > Thanks, Robert.
      >
      > This does of course beg the question of whether or not there's a way
      > to disable this feature ... ?

      Not that I have been able to find. I'm wondering if this is something to
      do with the file system type - i.e., NTFS - since I don't think FAT or
      FAT32 lock the file the same way NTFS does. It is a security feature that
      is very important to networked computers, NTFS is the file system for this
      under Windows, to keep files from being processed by more than one person
      at a time (and that includes more than one program).

      As a work-around, you can always use NoteTab to delete or move the file
      using the standard File -> Open dialog box (same way the MS Office programs
      work). Deleting the file this way bypasses the lock since it is the same
      program working on the file.

      --
      Robert

      Thought for the day: The only way to discover the limits of the possible
      is to go beyond them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke, Technology and
      the Future
    • Robert Romberger
      Message 56 of 56 , Aug 20, 2003
        On 20 Aug 2003 at 18:34, hsavage wrote:

        > My computer was put together by my local computer store, and apparently, if
        > FAT32 is a default they didn't chose it, NTFS is the way my drive is
        > formatted but that would have been my preference anyway, I understand it's a
        > superior format.

        Cool. You actually get more out of the drive by going with NTFS.

        > I have experienced file locking, at least, that's what I thought it
        > was. My file manager has viewing capabilities and if I view and try to
        > delete a file that's open in NTP I get the error (warning message), or if I
        > try to save or delete a file, through NTP that's being viewed in the file
        > manager, I get the error.

        I just did an experiment. I opened a test file, did some edits to throw
        in some text, then saved and closed it. I then went to windows explorer
        and deleted the file - something I didn't expect it to do, since the file
        was still being held with NTP. Going back to NTP and trying to reopen that
        file proved impossible since it had been deleted. Okay. I think we need
        to go back and look at the original post to see what the problem was. I've
        gotten myself confused because of the weird way things are working now.
        This is all under XP Pro with NTP 4.95.

        --
        Robert

        Thought for the day: The successful man is the one who finds out what is
        the matter with his business before his competitors do. Roy L. Smith