Re: [NTB] newbie looking for tutorial

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 18 1:55 AM
      At 09:41 AM 8/18/03 -0700, you wrote:
      >Hi
      >
      >Anybody got a small tutorial that I can use to get the notetab basics?
      >
      >Thanks
      >Wayne

      Hi Wayne,

      You can download Clipclass.zip which contains a tutorial in outline form
      and a clipbook library to use it to get you started. The link for this is:

      http://www.notetab.net/zip/clipclass.zip

      First of all, the best way to learn the basics of the program is simply to
      go to the menu bar and select Help/Help Topics. Then go down the list on
      the left and read the topics in the list on the right side. You can find
      information on all aspects of these programs arranged in a very functional
      way by the author, Eric Fookes. He put in a great deal of hard work on
      this and you should really try it. It is much faster than going back and
      forth on this list for the basics of the whole program. You can also go to
      the menu bar and select View/Options and on the View tab check the box to
      "Show Tip-of-Day and click ok. This will display tips about how to use the
      program everytime you start the program. You can remove this option after
      you become familiar enough with the program to not need it any more.

      When you are using the Help files, if you should come to a point that you
      just don't understand, then you should post to the list and a lot of
      friendly people will try to help explain it to you.

      Once you get past the basic features of the program and get into writing
      clips, you can go to the menu bar and select Help/Help on Clip Programming
      and you will get a different help file that covers clip programming with a
      help index that has all of the clip commands, functions, and variables
      listed in alphabetical order to help you write clips.

      Finally, you can join the Clips-Class list to download various outlines and
      other files and work along with other list members to learn about witting
      clips. And there is also a special NoteTab Clips list for new users and
      more advanced users to ask questions about special problems they are having
      and to show clips that they wish to share with other members for comments.

      You can subscribe or unsubscribe at this website:

      I hope this helps.

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 18 2:05 AM
        I went to the site and I see that there is no box for subscribing to the
        clipsclass list. Jody will need to fix that. Further down on that page
        though there is a reference to it which I have copied below:

        The NoteTab ClipsClass List.......... ntb-ClipClass-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Just send the empty post to the address on the right side of the line above.

        Regards,

        Larry
        lrt@... e¿ê
      • Robin Chapple
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 18 2:22 AM
          I'm very new to this. I downloaded the ZIP filer and it unpacked to a CLB
          and an OTL file which are unknown to me. How do i use them?

          Thanks,

          Robin

          At 18/08/2003 06:55 PM, you wrote:

          >Hi Wayne,
          >
          >You can download Clipclass.zip which contains a tutorial in outline form
          >and a clipbook library to use it to get you started. The link for this is:
          >
          ><http://www.notetab.net/zip/clipclass.zip>http://www.notetab.net/zip/clipclass.<http://www.notetab.net/zip/clipclass.zip>zip

        • Larry Thomas
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 18 4:29 AM
            At 07:22 PM 8/18/03 +1000, you wrote:
            >I'm very new to this. I downloaded the ZIP filer and it unpacked to a CLB
            >and an OTL file which are unknown to me. How do i use them?
            >
            >Thanks,
            >
            >Robin

            Go to Windows Explorer and browse to the folder where you unzipped the two
            files.
            Select/Highlight the two files and click on the cut button in Explorer.
            Browse to the NoteTab home folder and then to the libraries folder and
            click paste.
            Now start NoteTab and you should see a new clipbook library button at the
            bottom of the NoteTab window labeled "ClipClass?. Click on this tab or
            button and the clipbook window/panel will open on the left side of the
            window with the name "ClipClass" appearing in the drop down list at the top
            and a list of clips below it. Double click on the first clip to run it and
            follow the instructions that you see. Each of the succeding clips will
            activate some kind of context sensitive help, or demonstrate a programming
            featur.

            You should first open a new document before you run some of these clips as
            they will make changes to open documents. If they require a text doc to be
            modified, you can use the copy/paste options to add text to the new doc for
            your purposes to run these clips on. Others will need for you to be
            on-line before you use them and will give a message to you about this if
            you are not. One of the clips opens the outline file which you can read
            for more information.

            You can open the Clip Editor by pressing Ctrl+Shift+E and then clicking on
            the clip you want to view or edit. Or you can click your right mouse
            button over the clip you want to view or edit and select "Edit Clip" and
            you will see the clip in the window.

            This should get you started. For the purposes of this discussion, please
            join the clipsclass list and take your questions over there. Jody wants to
            keep the basic list just for basic questions. I have gotten you started on
            this but from here forward it should go to the clipsclass list where you
            will find most of the answers you want.

            You can subscribe by posting to the address on the right end below:

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 18 5:26 AM
              At 07:22 PM 8/18/03 +1000, you wrote:
              >I'm very new to this. I downloaded the ZIP filer and it unpacked to a CLB
              >and an OTL file which are unknown to me. How do i use them?

              Hi Robin,

              I missed a couple of things. A file with a .clb extension is a NoteTab
              CLipBook library file and contains the clips which are programs or macros
              that NoteTab uses to give the user extensive control over manipulating,
              printing, etc text and script or HTML documents. If you place a clipbook
              library into NoteTab's Library folder, then NoteTab displays it on the
              library button bar and you can access it from ther to run the clips in it.

              A file with an .otl extension is an outline file. This is a text file that
              is displayed in a special outline format with topic headings listed in a
              panel on the left and the topic text for each individual topic shown on the
              right. You move from topic to topic by going donw the list of topic names
              on the left and clicking on the one you want to read and then read it on
              the right.

              One thing to know is that NoteTab Light (the freeware version) can display
              outline files but it cannot directly edit them. NoteTab Std and Pro can
              directly edit these files.

              Regards,

              Larry
              lrt@... e¿ê