Re: [NTB] Re: Word Wrap

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 5, 2003
      undo the word wrap at "zero", set it at 70.
      --

      ~~~

      Jeff Scism, <a href="http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/">International
      Blacksheep Society of Genealogists</A><BR>

      AKA in Geocaching circles "GeoCan"

      Geography, genealogy, geocaching, geology, I am stuck in the Gs.
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 5, 2003
        At 01:12 PM 8/5/03 -0700, you wrote:
        >RE: My impotent Word Wrap button
        >Submissions:
        >Ironically, I just got a response from the author of the "clipsIuse"
        >library. I wrote to him because his search clip overwrote each line
        >of my search terms (instead of just finding them). At his letter's
        >end, he assured me, "I doubt if your NoteTab is corrupted. It is one
        >of the sturdiest applications I've seen and just does not seem to be
        >able to be corrupted."
        >
        >Well, I give up. I'm going to have to resort to composing text in
        >my trial version of "The Bat!" email client, which wraps on the fly.
        >Or Notepad. :-( Thanks again, and be grateful that your version works!

        It does not happen often but NoteTab in all of its versions can get
        corrupted. Try fixing it by closing the program and going to Windows
        Explorer. Rename NoteTab.ini to another name (NoteTab2.ini for example)
        then run NoteTab again. It should start up as if you have just installed
        it with the splash screen and everything like that. See if the word wrap
        feature works correctly now. If it does, then your old ini file was
        corrupted somehow. You will have to redo the settings you had in the old
        ini but dump the old ini if it turns out to be bad.

        Regards,

        Larry
        lrt@... e¿ê
      • Robert J. Emery
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 27, 2004
          Word Wrap is suppose to toggle with CTRL-W, but a long line in the
          NoteTab window refuses to wrap. How can I make CTRL-W work?

          --
          RJ Emery
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 27, 2004
            Hi Robert,

            >Word Wrap is suppose to toggle with CTRL-W, but a long line in the
            >NoteTab window refuses to wrap. How can I make CTRL-W work?

            Maybe you have Wrap to Column set to a very long length. Click on
            Document | Properties and uncheck Wrap to Column if it is
            checked. Other than that I cannot think of anything off hand.

            bcnu,
            jody

            I can only please one person a day.
            Today is obviously not your day.
            Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8D
            http://www.clean-funnies.com
            http://www.notetab.net
          • rjemery7
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 27, 2004
              Document > Properties was a good clue. "Wrap to Column" was set to
              70, which I don't consider to be a very high value. However, I still
              don't understand the logic behind the "Word Wrap" and "Wrap to Column"
              options.

              How can I make use of the CTRL-W toggle but still have the wrap
              limited to a certain column less than the width of the window space?
              Or is that not possible?

              --
              RJ Emery

              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:

              > Maybe you have Wrap to Column set to a very long length. Click on
              > Document | Properties and uncheck Wrap to Column if it is
              > checked. Other than that I cannot think of anything off hand.
            • Don - htmlfixit.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 27, 2004
                rjemery7 wrote:

                > Document > Properties was a good clue. "Wrap to Column" was set to
                > 70, which I don't consider to be a very high value. However, I still
                > don't understand the logic behind the "Word Wrap" and "Wrap to Column"
                > options.

                I believe one of them is a display only thing (word wrap) but there are
                no actual returns/line feeds inserted in your file. The other actually
                ads line feeds.

                One other issue, the whole concept is we are a community, each helping
                the other ... so taking only answers and never giving answers ... might
                be offensive to some :-) You never know when you can contribute.
              • Jason Waugh
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 27, 2004
                  rjemery7 wrote:
                  > Document > Properties was a good clue. "Wrap to Column" was set to
                  > 70, which I don't consider to be a very high value. However, I still
                  > don't understand the logic behind the "Word Wrap" and "Wrap to Column"
                  > options.
                  >
                  > How can I make use of the CTRL-W toggle but still have the wrap
                  > limited to a certain column less than the width of the window space?
                  > Or is that not possible?

                  To restate your problem in much simpler terms: you don't like NoteTab
                  wrapping based on a certain column, you want it to wrap to whatever the
                  width of the window is.

                  Stated like this, the only answer is... uncheck "wrap to column" because
                  that's not what you want.

                  From the very excellent help file that comes with NoteTab, you can
                  learn what those two options are: "Word Wrap" check box turns word wrap
                  on or off (CTRL-W is similar to checking/unchecking this box). "Wrap to
                  Column" check box changes the behaviour of word wrap when it is on (it
                  either wraps to the column specified, or if unchecked wraps at the
                  window edge, or as you would normally expect)

                  Jason W.
                • rjemery7
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 28, 2004
                    Don,

                    I think I am a long way off before I would be knowledgeable enough to
                    contribute anything of substance.

                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@h...> wrote:

                    > One other issue, the whole concept is we are a community, each helping
                    > the other ... so taking only answers and never giving answers ... might
                    > be offensive to some :-) You never know when you can contribute.
                  • Ed Brown
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 28, 2004
                      It is your questions that are valuable to all of us newbies. The answers you get are the answers many of us may need. So you can contribute just by asking questions and getting the answers.
                      Ed
                      I think I am a long way off before I would be knowledgeable enough to
                      contribute anything of substance.

                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@h...> wrote:

                      > One other issue, the whole concept is we are a community, each helping
                      > the other ... so taking only answers and never giving answers ... might
                      > be offensive to some :-) You never know when you can contribute.

                      ---

                    • Brian May
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 18, 2004
                        First post ladies and gents.

                        I've had Note Tab for several years but never joined any group. I've
                        decided to try and persevere with it, but what has ALWAYS put me off is word
                        wrap.

                        If I open a new document - habitually and email written off line to be
                        pasted in the email client. When I type in, the line just seems to go on
                        and on, despite me having selected Word Wrap.

                        My only way to format the text seems to be when I've finished, I highlight
                        ALL the text then go to Modify, Lines , Reformat lines.

                        There's probably an answer EVERYBODY but me knows, but what is it? There
                        must be and easy way.

                        Thanks

                        Brian

                        http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
                      • David Smart
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 18, 2004
                          You don't say whether Pro or Light. In Light, it's in view/options in the documents tab.

                          Dave S

                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 18, 2004
                            My apologies, I should know better. I'm using Note Tab Std and in
                            essence a programme like Wordpad wraps to the screen without user
                            intervention.

                            I'm trying to achieve the same effect in Notepad. ie,I start typing
                            my message and the text wraps in the window. At present it doesn't
                            and never has in all 'Std' versions that I use - which is the single
                            reason I stopped using it.

                            I have found the 'wordwrap' option and the Reformat lines etc etc, but
                            despite ALL my best efforts, these can only be applied in retrospect
                            which potentially leaves me with (undoctored) a paragraph that could
                            be several thousand characters long - all on one line.

                            Looking in the help file it alludes (in my understanding) to saying
                            that you can only have a (functioning) wordwrap in Pro version.

                            Surely this can't be right, but I JUST CAN'T MAKE IT WORK. I might
                            (must) be doing something wrong but I've used text editors and word
                            processors for 20 years - this just beats me (and I don't like that).

                            Any help will be most gratefully received, as (years ago) I put my
                            hand in my pocket and paid for this and (probably due to my
                            incompetence) it doesn't do what I need.

                            Thanks, Brian

                            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "David Smart" <smartware@o...> wrote:
                            > You don't say whether Pro or Light. In Light, it's in view/options
                            in the documents tab.

                            > Dave S

                          • alice ttlg
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 18, 2004
                              On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 05:49:53 -0000, dengue_dude <brianwmay@...> wrote:
                              > My apologies, I should know better. I'm using Note Tab Std and in
                              [...]
                              > I'm trying to achieve the same effect in Notepad. ie,I start typing
                              > my message and the text wraps in the window. At present it doesn't

                              View > Options > Document tab > Word Wrap, check the box and click OK.

                              iirc, the big blue W is on the default toolbars, it toggles Word Wrap
                              on an off. If it's not there, you can add it, View > Options >
                              Toolbar tab, find the Word Wrap and check the box and click OK.

                              As you open documents you've saved, if they aren't wrapped, simply
                              click on the W icon and when you save it after editing, it'll save the
                              wrap setting as well and next time you open it, it'll be wrapped.

                              > I have found the 'wordwrap' option and the Reformat lines etc etc, but
                              > despite ALL my best efforts, these can only be applied in retrospect

                              If you set the default Word Wrap option on the Document tab to
                              checked, then new documents will be wrapped.

                              > Looking in the help file it alludes (in my understanding) to saying
                              > that you can only have a (functioning) wordwrap in Pro version.

                              I have both Std and Pro versions installed, it works the same in both
                              of them. To make sure there weren't any differences, while writing
                              the above instructions, I opened the Std version to verify them.
                              Nothing varied from how it works in the Pro version (which is what I
                              normally use).

                              --
                              alice ttlg

                              Me, Blog/LJ, Links, Whatever:
                              http://alice.ttlg.net/

                              It's off in the distance.
                              It came into the room.
                              It's here in the circle.
                            • David Smart
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 19, 2004
                                I've not checked recently, but I'm pretty sure that word-wrap is only a display mode for the screen. The file will still have long lines if you don't put returns in.

                                I actually find this preferable. I use OE and Outlook for mail and these happily do the same sort of word-wrapping. This means that you see it fine on the screen and the mail system puts in the proper word-wrapping as it sends the mail.

                                If you have returns inserted inside paragraphs, the mail system will insert more returns if you've gone a bit wider than it likes, leaving you with orphan words at the beginning of lines.

                                Dave S

                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 19, 2004
                                  Thanks for the reply David, even with the advice here, I'm still only
                                  able to word wrap afterwards. I sustain what you say about being
                                  preferable because OE would then add more carriage returns.

                                  This has just proven to me that, sadly, this is Not the software for
                                  me. I've actually been experimenting with WordPad which, now I've got
                                  the default file type sorted, is working beautifully, wrapping to the
                                  screen without CRs and therefore displaying correctly in my email
                                  client (Eudora - although I use a Web based software to send when I'm
                                  away, I'm in Kuwait now but work out of Dhaka, Bangladesh).

                                  Can I just offer my thanks for the response and the realisation that
                                  (for me) this piece of software just does not do it.

                                  Take care

                                  Regards

                                • loro
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 19, 2004
                                    dengue_dude wrote:
                                    >Thanks for the reply David, even with the advice here, I'm still only
                                    >able to word wrap afterwards.

                                    I'm a little confused about if you want hard line breaks or not but anyhow,
                                    I wonder if you perhaps have Wrap to Column checked? Standard doesn't do
                                    this in real time, Pro does. With Standard you have to either close and
                                    reopen the document or use Edit -> Reload. It does wrap to the window in
                                    real time though (i.e. Wrap should be checked but not Wrap to Column).

                                    If you really do want CR/LF inserted though you have to use Split Lines.

                                    Lotta
                                  • dengue_dude
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 21, 2004
                                      Lotta

                                      Yes, Wrap to Column was ticked as since word wrap didn't seem to work
                                      I was trying anything.

                                      All I wanted to do, is type in the window and the text to wrap to the
                                      window such that I can see it.

                                      This text would then be copied and pasted into my email client.

                                      I could only ever get the text to wrap if I highlighted it then went
                                      through the Modify, Lines routing afterwards.

                                      Thanks anyway. I've gone back to Microsoft's built in WordPad because
                                      it actually does it.

                                      Take care

                                      Brian

                                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@t...> wrote:
                                      > dengue_dude wrote:
                                      > >Thanks for the reply David, even with the advice here, I'm still only
                                      > >able to word wrap afterwards.
                                      >
                                      > I'm a little confused about if you want hard line breaks or not but
                                      anyhow,
                                      > I wonder if you perhaps have Wrap to Column checked? Standard
                                      doesn't do
                                      > this in real time, Pro does. With Standard you have to either close and
                                      > reopen the document or use Edit -> Reload. It does wrap to the
                                      window in
                                      > real time though (i.e. Wrap should be checked but not Wrap to Column).
                                      >
                                      > If you really do want CR/LF inserted though you have to use Split Lines.
                                      >
                                      > Lotta
                                    • dengue_dude
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 21, 2004
                                        Lotta

                                        Just before I gave up, I did what you suggested un-ticked the Wrap to
                                        Column and hit the V key which ran 'v's to the end of the line and
                                        wrapped in the window. Just like I've been trying to do.

                                        I did say on the first post that it might be a setting I'd got wrong.

                                        It was. So thank you big time. Note Tab's dictionar and thesaurus
                                        are what attracted me to the program and now I can use it again as
                                        it's now doing what I wanted.

                                        Brilliant result and thanks - I didn't dream of turning that selection
                                        off, as it seemed to be the only thing that was offering me close to
                                        what I wanted.