Re: [NTB] Help with NoteTab on a network drive

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 23 9:58 AM
      At 09:17 AM 7/23/03 -0700, you wrote:
      >Hi, Larry;
      >
      >That is along the lines of what I was thinking. The problem is I don't
      have write rights to the network drive, so I cannot change the read-only
      status of the .fpr file. Is there anyway I can have NoteTab save this file
      to my local hard drive rather than to the network?

      >thanks for your help,
      >Jonathan

      Hi Jonathan,

      The easiest way would be to get the system administrator to change the
      read-only status of that file, unless he also has to change the folder as
      well which he might not want to do.

      Another possibility would be to create a custom ini file for yourself and a
      shortcut to NoteTab using it and then use this shortcut to start NoteTab.
      Then you can go to the Advanced tab of the options dialog and set the
      folder to and unprotected default folder of your own. The problem with
      this is that you will not have access then to any of the NoteTab support
      files. Of course, if they are only protected against being written to, you
      could copy all of them and the subfolders containing them over to your
      personal folder. The problem here is that your own personal folder will
      not be updated when the main folder is updated by the administrator. You
      could just copy these files over to yours periodically but that would
      overwrite your folders and files and lose your personal configurations. It
      could be that you will just have to periodically check in with your
      administrator on changes and create a list of the files he/she changes and
      copy those files to another temporary folder and try to synchronize them
      with your own same name files. This sounds clumsy and I think it is but I
      don't have an idea of what else to do.

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
    • Jonathan Parminter
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 23 10:57 AM
        thanks, Larry;

        Actually, after a lot of trial and error, here's what I did:

        Uninstalled Notetab, then re-installed it.
        set the NoteTab environment up the way I like it.
        Then, closed it and re-opened it.
        Then, set it to point to the Support Files Location. Now, I don't get any error when I close, and it remembers my settings.

        Thanks for your help,
        Jonathan

        >That is along the lines of what I was thinking. The problem is I don't
        have write rights to the network drive, so I cannot change the read-only
        status of the .fpr file. Is there anyway I can have NoteTab save this file
        to my local hard drive rather than to the network?

        >thanks for your help,
        >Jonathan

        Hi Jonathan,

        The easiest way would be to get the system administrator to change the
        read-only status of that file, unless he also has to change the folder as
        well which he might not want to do.

        Another possibility would be to create a custom ini file for yourself and a
        shortcut to NoteTab using it and then use this shortcut to start NoteTab.
        Then you can go to the Advanced tab of the options dialog and set the
        folder to and unprotected default folder of your own. The problem with
        this is that you will not have access then to any of the NoteTab support
        files. Of course, if they are only protected against being written to, you
        could copy all of them and the subfolders containing them over to your
        personal folder. The problem here is that your own personal folder will
        not be updated when the main folder is updated by the administrator. You
        could just copy these files over to yours periodically but that would
        overwrite your folders and files and lose your personal configurations. It
        could be that you will just have to periodically check in with your
        administrator on changes and create a list of the files he/she changes and
        copy those files to another temporary folder and try to synchronize them
        with your own same name files. This sounds clumsy and I think it is but I
        don't have an idea of what else to do.

        Regards,

        Larry
        lrt@... e¿ê