[NTB] Correcti0n: was: The NoteTab Advanced List

  • Lawrence R. Thomas
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 1998
      At 10:55 PM 8/1/98 -0500, Jody wrote:
      >Let's don't start posting to NoteTab Advanced until
      >around Monday say at 8:00 AM, EST. (That's the eastern
      >area of the USA which is 3:00 AM GMT if I understand that
      >correctly.) This will allow most everybody some time to
      >sign up without missing anything.

      I have a program called Geoclock which displays the time in a map display
      format with various maps for regions, countries, and globally including
      views that appear as if seen from space. It shows a limited selection of
      cities and times. It also shows daylight, night, and the terminator
      (Sunrise/Sunset information included) along with Sun and Moom positions.
      Jody, Greenwich Mean Time is five hours ahead of Eastern (US) time. 8:00
      AM Eastern time is 2:00 PM GMT.

      WRONG!! I used central time :( 8:00 AM Eastern time is 1:00 PM GMT.

      Larry Thomas
      larryt@...

      ----
    • Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 1998
        Lawrence R. Thomas wrote:

        >I have a program called Geoclock which displays the time in a map display
        >format with various maps for regions, countries, and globally including
        >views that appear as if seen from space. It shows a limited selection of
        >cities and times. It also shows daylight, night, and the terminator
        >(Sunrise/Sunset information included) along with Sun and Moom positions.
        >Jody, Greenwich Mean Time is five hours ahead of Eastern (US) time. 8:00
        >AM Eastern time is 2:00 PM GMT.
        >
        >WRONG!! I used central time :( 8:00 AM Eastern time is 1:00 PM GMT.

        +00:00 GMT Greenwich Mean
        +00:00 UT Universal
        +00:00 UTC Universal Co-ordinated
        +00:00 WET Western European
        +01:00 WAT West Africa
        +02:00 AT Azores
        +03:00 ADT !Atlantic Daylight
        +03:30 NST Canada/Newfoundland Standard
        +02:30 NDT !Canada/Newfoundland Daylight
        +04:00 AST Atlantic Standard
        +04:00 EDT !Eastern Daylight
        +05:00 CDT !Central Daylight
        +05:00 EST Eastern Standard
        +06:00 CST Central Standard
        +06:00 MDT !Mountain Daylight
        +07:00 MST Mountain Standard
        +07:00 PDT !Pacific Daylight
        +08:00 PST Pacific Standard
        +08:00 YDT !Yukon Daylight
        +09:00 HDT !Hawaii Daylight
        +09:00 YST Yukon Standard
        +10:00 CAT Central Alaska
        +10:00 HST Hawaii Standard
        +10:00 AHST Alaska-Hawaii Standard
        +11:00 NT Nome
        +12:00 IDLW International Date Line West
        -13:00 NZDT !New Zealand Daylight
        -11:00 NZT New Zealand
        -11:00 NZST New Zealand Standard
        -11:00 IDLE International Date Line East
        -11:00 EADT !Eastern Australian Daylight
        -10:00 GST Guam Standard, USSR Zone 9
        -09:30 NADT !North Australian Daylight
        -10:00 EAST East Australian Standard
        -09:30 NAST North Australian Standard
        -09:00 JST Japan Standard, USSR Zone 8
        -08:00 WADT !West Australian Daylight
        -08:00 CCT China Coast, USSR Zone 7
        -07:00 WAST West Australian Standard
        -06:00 ZP6 USSR Zone 5
        -05:00 ZP5 USSR Zone 4
        -04:00 ZP4 USSR Zone 3
        -03:00 BT Baghdad, USSR Zone 2
        -02:00 SST !Swedish Summer
        -02:00 MESZ !Middle European Summer
        -02:00 MEST !Middle European Summer
        -02:00 FST !French Summer
        -02:00 EET Eastern European, USSR Zone 1
        -01:00 SWT Swedish Winter
        -01:00 MEWT Middle European Winter
        -01:00 MET Middle European
        -01:00 FWT French Winter
        -01:00 CET Central European
        -01:00 BST !British Summer

        --
        Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen ICQ: 15117288

        Find out about the BEST Text/HTML editor for Windows!
        My Homepage: http://www2.localaccess.com/waynemv

        Libertarians for Privacy RC5-64 Cracking Team
        http://homepages.together.net/~hardy/VTLP/rc5.html

        ----
      • Seak, Teng-Fong
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 1998
          > +00:00 GMT Greenwich Mean
          > +00:00 UT Universal
          > +00:00 UTC Universal Co-ordinated
          > +00:00 WET Western European
          > [snipped]
          > -02:00 SST !Swedish Summer
          > -02:00 MESZ !Middle European Summer
          > -02:00 MEST !Middle European Summer
          > -02:00 FST !French Summer
          > -02:00 EET Eastern European, USSR Zone 1
          > -01:00 SWT Swedish Winter
          > -01:00 MEWT Middle European Winter
          > -01:00 MET Middle European
          > -01:00 FWT French Winter
          > -01:00 CET Central European
          > -01:00 BST !British Summer

          In the fourth line it's written Western European. Usually it means
          Spain, France, Germany, etc, right? If yes, I think this table is
          wrong. France is GMT +1 instead of GMT +0.

        • Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 1998
            On Sun, 02 Aug 1998 13:55:35 +0200, you wrote:

            >> +00:00 GMT Greenwich Mean
            >> +00:00 UT Universal
            >> +00:00 UTC Universal Co-ordinated
            >> +00:00 WET Western European
            >> [snipped]
            >> -02:00 SST !Swedish Summer
            >> -02:00 MESZ !Middle European Summer
            >> -02:00 MEST !Middle European Summer
            >> -02:00 FST !French Summer
            >> -02:00 EET Eastern European, USSR Zone 1
            >> -01:00 SWT Swedish Winter
            >> -01:00 MEWT Middle European Winter
            >> -01:00 MET Middle European
            >> -01:00 FWT French Winter
            >> -01:00 CET Central European
            >> -01:00 BST !British Summer
            >
            > In the fourth line it's written Western European. Usually it means
            >Spain, France, Germany, etc, right? If yes, I think this table is
            >wrong. France is GMT +1 instead of GMT +0.

            Hmm. Your email headers place you at:

            > -01:00 MET Middle European

            The +/- feels backwards to me on my list, but that is how they
            were when I found them. -1:00 means an hour AHEAD of GMT.

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 1998
              Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen wrote:

              > Hmm. Your email headers place you at:
              >
              > > -01:00 MET Middle European
              >
              > The +/- feels backwards to me on my list, but that is how they
              > were when I found them. -1:00 means an hour AHEAD of GMT.

              Something is wrong there with you. I checked my own mail sent from
              the mailing list, and it's written :

              [209.185.96.137]) by nenuphar.saclay.cea.fr (8.8.8/CEAnet-relay-4.1.1)
              with SMTP id NAA00061 for <seak@...>; Sun, 2 Aug 1998
              13:56:56 +0200 (MET DST)

              Everywhere is +0200 (MET DST) , which stands for Middle European
              Time, Daylight Saving Time. So in normal time (ie winter time), it
              should be +0100 MET. (By the way, now I understand that Western Europe
              in our current language has nothing to do when dealing with time) When
              I look back at your table, it's written -01:00. This is wrong.

              When person A is AHEAD of person B, that means A is in a timezone
              EAST of that of person B, so the time of A is + with respect to the time
              of B. Take a example: suppose I'm in California and it's 8 am. If you
              are in New York, you are EAST of me, and you are +3 of me. So it's 8 +
              3 = 11 am for you. Do you agree?

              Moreover, the Daylight saving time in your table is showing the
              opposite.

              > -02:00 MESZ !Middle European Summer
              > -01:00 MEWT Middle European Winter

              Middle European Winter should be +1 while Middle European Summer
              should be +2. The same for the other time zone. I have a feeling that
              your table reverses all + and -.

            • Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 1998
                Seak, Teng-Fong wrote:

                >Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen wrote:
                >>
                >> Hmm. Your email headers place you at:
                >>
                >> > -01:00 MET Middle European
                >>
                >> The +/- feels backwards to me on my list, but that is how they
                >> were when I found them. -1:00 means an hour AHEAD of GMT.

                I downloaded two lists from the internet and combined them. One didn't
                use any + or -, the other had the values listed here. Seems we both
                agree that my source was backwards.

                > Something is wrong there with you. I checked my own mail sent from
                >the mailing list, and it's written :
                > Everywhere is +0200 (MET DST) , which stands for Middle European
                >Time, Daylight Saving Time. So in normal time (ie winter time), it
                >should be +0100 MET. (By the way, now I understand that Western Europe
                >in our current language has nothing to do when dealing with time) When
                >I look back at your table, it's written -01:00. This is wrong.
                >> -02:00 MESZ !Middle European Summer
                >> -01:00 MEWT Middle European Winter
                >
                > Middle European Winter should be +1 while Middle European Summer
                >should be +2. The same for the other time zone. I have a feeling that
                >your table reverses all + and -.

                I am going to change the table to fix the +/-

                I have no idea how reliable my sources were. I don't know if all
                the three letter abbreviations it lists are even in actual use. And
                the table may be missing some time zones.

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 2, 1998
                  Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen wrote:
                  > I downloaded two lists from the internet and combined them. One
                  > didn't use any + or -, the other had the values listed here. Seems we
                  > both agree that my source was backwards.

                  Maybe it comes from an anti-earth in an anti-universe ;)

                  > I am going to change the table to fix the +/-
                  >
                  > I have no idea how reliable my sources were. I don't know if all
                  > the three letter abbreviations it lists are even in actual use. And
                  > the table may be missing some time zones.

                  I didn't follow from the beginning to the end of this thread, I
                  don't know what you are doing exactly with the list. However, here are
                  two tips:

                  1) From the clock properties of Win95 (double clicks on the time in the
                  system tray) you could get a simple list of cities in different Time
                  Zone.

                  2) From Linux Clock mini-howto I've found this URL:
                  http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/
                  which leads to this URL about International Standard Date and Time
                  Notation:
                  http://www.ft.uni-erlangen.de/~mskuhn/iso-time.html