Re: [NTB] Beta Question

  • Kay Roath
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 1998
      02.08.1998 3:55 AM djust@... wrote

      > "^!Run CommandLine
      > This command is provided for backward compatibility. It can be
      > used to launch other programs. The ^!Wait command does not
      > work with programs launched this way."
      > How does one do the same thing, with ^!Wait, as in 4.011? Or, in
      > other words, how does one run a Windows program from NTP
      > 4.5, with ^!Wait?

      Have you tried it with !Dos? I think !Run was changed to allow
      access to some problem programs that won't load with !Dos &
      because of the way Eric had to do it, !Wait can't be active.
      That's just my impression - could be way off.

      I know !Wait works with any Window programs that you execute with
      ^!c:\Dir\FileName but that's all I've used it with.

      --- Grandma Kay - NoteTab Tips & Clips weekly Newsletter
      notetab-tips-subscribe@...
      **new subscribers** - Important info & past issues
      http://www.bigfoot.com/~freedom9

      ----
    • djust@netvision.net.il
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 1998
        > > "^!Run CommandLine
        > > This command is provided for backward compatibility. It can be
        > > used to launch other programs. The ^!Wait command does not
        > > work with programs launched this way."
        > > How does one do the same thing, with ^!Wait, as in 4.011? Or, in
        > > other words, how does one run a Windows program from NTP
        > > 4.5, with ^!Wait?
        >
        > Have you tried it with !Dos? I think !Run was changed to allow
        > access to some problem programs that won't load with !Dos &
        > because of the way Eric had to do it, !Wait can't be active.
        > That's just my impression - could be way off.
        Can't understand why this old clip DOES work!:
        H="Reinstall MTRC"
        ^!RUN:C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM /C DELTREE /Y
        C:\MTR
        ^!WAIT
        ^!C:\Progra~1\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE -e
        c:\zipstorage\mtrc\mtrc001.zip c:\
        ^!WAIT
        ^!C:\Progra~1\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE -e
        c:\zipstorage\mtrc\mtrc002.zip c:\
        ^!WAIT
        ^!C:\Progra~1\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE -e
        c:\zipstorage\mtrc\mtrc003.zip c:\
        ^!WAIT
        ^!C:\Progra~1\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE -e
        c:\zipstorage\mtrc\mtrc004.zip c:\
        ^!WAIT
        ^!C:\Progra~1\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE -e
        c:\zipstorage\mtrc\mtrc005.zip c:\
        ^!WAIT
        ^!C:\Progra~1\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE -e
        c:\zipstorage\mtrc\mtrc006.zip c:\
        ^!WAIT
        ^!C:\Progra~1\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE -e
        c:\zipstorage\mtrc\mtrc007.zip c:\
        ^!WAIT
        ^!C:\Progra~1\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE -e
        c:\zipstorage\mtrc\mtrc008.zip c:\
        ^!WAIT
        ^!PROMPT:MTRC now installed in c:\mtr.
        When the DOS window is up in the first line, I get a notice from
        NTP4.5b which makes it sound like it's executing the ^!Wait. In
        addition, it looks to me like ^!Wait must be working, since
        a) MTRC is very temperamental about its install sequence, and it
        seems to be working fine, and
        b) by common sense, if NTP doesn't execute the wait before
        continuing to the next line, it should be UNinstalling part of the
        MTRC which it just installed.
        Please try ^!Wait with a ^!Run on your system, preferably a
        deltree, to confirm that it DOESN'T work.

        Thanks,
        David.

        ----
      • Eric G.V. Fookes
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 1998
          Hi David,

          >"^!Run CommandLine
          >This command is provided for backward compatibility. It can be
          >used to launch other programs. The ^!Wait command does not
          >work with programs launched this way."
          >How does one do the same thing, with ^!Wait, as in 4.011?

          Just remove the Run command name.

          Best regards,
          Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
          Author of the award-winning NoteTab text editors for Windows
          and also the 1998 "People's Choice" award!

          ----
        • Eric G.V. Fookes
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 1998
            Hi David,

            >H="Reinstall MTRC"
            >^!RUN:C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM /C DELTREE /Y C:\MTR

            I remommend that you change the above to:
            ^!DOS:DELTREE /Y C:\MTR