Re: [NTB] NOTETAB OUTLINE HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10, 2003
      R Shapp wrote:

      > = V4 Outline MultiLine NoSorting TabWidth=30
      >
      > About 80 more headers with associated text follow in the same
      format. I saved
      > all this as Foo.otl, but when I opened Foo.otl, all the info was
      associated
      > with the first header. IOW, my new outline has only one header,
      "Patches,
      > NASA Embroidered".
      >
      > Please tell me what will make my headers be recognized as such by NTP.
      >
      > Thanks for the help.
      >
      > Ray Shapp

      Ray,

      I took the text from your email, pasted into a test.otl and hit reload
      and it loaded as an otl with 2 headers, Patches,... and Flags,... just
      as below. I did drag one line down below the first header.

      Can't tell you anymore, I rarely use outlines.

      hrs

      = V4 Outline MultiLine NoSorting TabWidth=30

      H="Patches, NASA Embroidered"
      (I dragged this line down) The second line is blank. The third line is
      as follows:

      In the next lines following this, I have a few sentences about the topic
      followed by the next header as follows:

      H="Flags, Embroidered"

      About 80 more headers with associated text follow in the same format. I
      saved
      all this as Foo.otl, but when I opened Foo.otl, all the info was associated
      with the first header. IOW, my new outline has only one header, "Patches,
      NASA Embroidered".

      Please tell me what will make my headers be recognized as such by NTP.

      Thanks for the help.

      Ray Shapp
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 10, 2003
        At 06:36 AM 7/10/2003 -0500, you wrote:

        > = V4 Outline MultiLine NoSorting TabWidth=30
        >
        > About 80 more headers with associated text follow in the same
        format. I saved
        > all this as Foo.otl, but when I opened Foo.otl, all the info was
        associated
        > with the first header. IOW, my new outline has only one header,
        "Patches,
        > NASA Embroidered".
        >
        > Please tell me what will make my headers be recognized as such by NTP.
        >
        > Thanks for the help.
        >
        > Ray Shapp

        Ray,

        I took the text from your email, pasted into a test.otl and hit reload
        and it loaded as an otl with 2 headers, Patches,... and Flags,... just
        as it should have.

        What I suspect is that you might not have a blank line preceding some of your headers.

        This will cause the problem you have described.

        Regards,

        Jim
      • R Shapp
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 10, 2003
          HRS and Jim,

          Thank you both.

          As Jim indicated, most of my headers were MOT preceded by a blank line. I had
          overlooked this essential ingredient. After fixing that>>>

          Ctrl-N, paste my txt file into the new document and save that as an
          otl file, then reload.

          Problem solved! I now have a very handy compact searchable flat file
          database.

          My best regards and thanks.

          Ray Shapp

          ** Note: My new address is ras45@...
          ** My old address was rayshapp@...
          ** The old address will continue to work until the end of August.
          ** Please edit your address book. Thank you.
        • Dane Trethowan
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 10, 2003
            You showed more patience than I could, I too! had my collection listed in a
            Word document but it got so big I just decided to start collating the whole
            thing again by creating a new outline, adding headingsfor each new CD I
            added then pasting the appropriate information from my CDDB aware
            application to Notetab.

            Dane Trethowan
            "mailto:grtdane@..."
            mobile: 0425-777-508