Re: [NTB] Open multiple files in same instance

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 6, 2003
      At 06:25 AM 7/6/03 -0000, you wrote:
      >I'm experiencing an odd behavior (bug?) in NoteTab lite 4.95.
      >
      >Is there a restriction on opening multiple files in the same instance
      >predicated upon:
      >
      >1. Files exceeding a maximun name length?
      >
      >2. The order in which the files are opened?
      >
      >Thx
      >
      >- J -

      There is a limit of twenty files if you use the Explorer Send To option on
      the right-click menu. That is when you place a shortcut to NoteTab in the
      C:\Windows\Send To folder. If you just select items in Explorer and try to
      open them, then there does not appear to be a limit. You might not be able
      to see your document if you opean a large number and have the tabs stacked
      but I am not sure that there is a limit. Could be that when you open
      enough files with the tabs stacked and it totally obscures the editing
      window, it might not have anymore room to display tabs and quit loading. I
      have never tried this although I have heard of Jody opening over a thousand
      documents at one time.

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 6, 2003
        Hi Larry & J,

        Larry, I think it was over 1500 files (open,edit,save,close, next file...)

        - J -, In my DirStuff there are two Clips to reopen alphabetically;
        by path and by filename plus a whole lot of other stuff at no extra
        charge. :)

        http://www.notetab.net/zip/dirstuff.zip

        >> I'm experiencing an odd behavior (bug?) in NoteTab lite 4.95.
        >>
        >> Is there a restriction on opening multiple files in the same
        >> instance predicated upon:
        >> 1. Files exceeding a maximun name length?
        >> 2. The order in which the files are opened?
        >
        >There is a limit of twenty files if you use the Explorer Send To
        >option on the right-click menu. That is when you place a
        >shortcut to NoteTab in the C:\Windows\Send To folder. If you
        >just select items in Explorer and try to open them, then there
        >does not appear to be a limit. You might not be able to see your
        >document if you opean a large number and have the tabs stacked
        >but I am not sure that there is a limit. Could be that when you
        >open enough files with the tabs stacked and it totally obscures
        >the editing window, it might not have anymore room to display
        >tabs and quit loading. I have never tried this although I have
        >heard of Jody opening over a thousand documents at one time.
        >
        >Regards,
        >
        >Larry
        >lrt@... e¿ê

        See ya in the funnies,
        Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15

        http://www.clean-funnies.com
      • mapsonx
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 6, 2003
          Greetings Jody & Larry,

          My inquiry has nothing to do with the amount of files opened.

          Sorry, but apparently I didn't supply sufficient details.

          I was hoping someone would recognize the problem & save you & me a
          long winded explanation.

          So, here's the tedious account I was trying to avoid.

          This issue directly relates to the number of "file name characters",
          & the order in which files of varying name lengths are opened in the
          same instance of NoteTab Lite

          There seems to be a cut off point, based upon number of characters in
          a file name, when one in unable to open files with names over a
          certain pre-determined character limit in the same instance of NT.

          I haven't determined the exact number, but it's around 37 or 38 name
          characters.

          I don't want to presume that it's a bug, but the way it manifests
          itself dosen't look like a planned action.

          Here's why.

          Example #1: I open a file with a name length of 60 characters. I
          then attempt to double click on a file with 39 name characters. I am
          then brought back to the opened instance of NT, where I would now
          expect to see tabs for both files, but the second file is not present.

          Leaving the initial instance of 60 name characters open, I then
          attempt to open a file with 36 name characters. It opens, alongside
          the tab for the 60 character file, no problem.

          Furthrmore, there is no problem opening a multiple of other files in
          this same instance, whether tabs are stacked or not, as long as they
          have around 36 name characters or less.

          Example #2: I open a file with 14 name characters. I then try open
          the same 60 name character file I worked with previously. It does
          not open. I then try the 36 name character file, & it opens.

          Therefore, a given long name length file must be opened first if it
          is to be opened in the same instance as other files, whose name
          lengths must then be around 36 characters or less.

          Another little bug that accompanies such examples occurs when inside
          the NT active instance & trying to select the toolbar button created
          by the opened folder that contains the currently open file. A normal
          left click on the button has no effect. Only a right click will
          bring you back to the folder.

          PLEASE NOTE: All that said, these examples only apply to files
          outside the active instance. Regardless of name length or order in
          which they are opened, there does not seem to be a problem opening
          multiple files in the same instance from "Reopen" in the File menu.

          If I recall correctly, the previous version also had the problem, but
          at the time I didn't make the connection & attribute it to name
          length.

          I'm a litte surprised nobody else has noticed something so obvious,
          but maybe I'm alone?

          Anyhow, maybe you could check it out for yourselves & report back.

          Much appreciated,

          - J -
        • Don Passenger
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 7, 2003
            Not sure I understand fully what you are doing. I can say that in NT Pro
            (which is what I use, having donated to the author ;-) I currently have
            three files open with 45 character names or so. I don't double click to
            open them however. I open them by using file, open and selecting from the
            browse files dialog box that appears. Have you tried different ways of
            opening them? Have you had this experience with more than one long named
            file? Maybe it is a funny or corrupt file?

            --

            Don Passenger

            If you need an html fix visit
            http://www.htmlfixit.com

            to fix your problems
            > My inquiry has nothing to do with the amount of files opened.
            >
            > Sorry, but apparently I didn't supply sufficient details.
            >
            > I was hoping someone would recognize the problem & save you & me a
            > long winded explanation.
            >
            > So, here's the tedious account I was trying to avoid.
            >
            > This issue directly relates to the number of "file name characters",
            > & the order in which files of varying name lengths are opened in the
            > same instance of NoteTab Lite
            >
            > There seems to be a cut off point, based upon number of characters in
            > a file name, when one in unable to open files with names over a
            > certain pre-determined character limit in the same instance of NT.
            >
            > I haven't determined the exact number, but it's around 37 or 38 name
            > characters.
            >
            > I don't want to presume that it's a bug, but the way it manifests
            > itself dosen't look like a planned action.
            >
            > Here's why.
            >
            > Example #1: I open a file with a name length of 60 characters. I
            > then attempt to double click on a file with 39 name characters. I am
            > then brought back to the opened instance of NT, where I would now
            > expect to see tabs for both files, but the second file is not present.
            >
            > Leaving the initial instance of 60 name characters open, I then
            > attempt to open a file with 36 name characters. It opens, alongside
            > the tab for the 60 character file, no problem.
            >
            > Furthrmore, there is no problem opening a multiple of other files in
            > this same instance, whether tabs are stacked or not, as long as they
            > have around 36 name characters or less.
            >
            > Example #2: I open a file with 14 name characters. I then try open
            > the same 60 name character file I worked with previously. It does
            > not open. I then try the 36 name character file, & it opens.
            >
            > Therefore, a given long name length file must be opened first if it
            > is to be opened in the same instance as other files, whose name
            > lengths must then be around 36 characters or less.
            >
            > Another little bug that accompanies such examples occurs when inside
            > the NT active instance & trying to select the toolbar button created
            > by the opened folder that contains the currently open file. A normal
            > left click on the button has no effect. Only a right click will
            > bring you back to the folder.
            >
            > PLEASE NOTE: All that said, these examples only apply to files
            > outside the active instance. Regardless of name length or order in
            > which they are opened, there does not seem to be a problem opening
            > multiple files in the same instance from "Reopen" in the File menu.
            >
            > If I recall correctly, the previous version also had the problem, but
            > at the time I didn't make the connection & attribute it to name
            > length.

          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 7, 2003
              Don Passenger wrote:

              > Not sure I understand fully what you are doing. I can say that in NT Pro
              > (which is what I use, having donated to the author ;-) I currently have
              > three files open with 45 character names or so. I don't double click to
              > open them however. I open them by using file, open and selecting
              from the
              > browse files dialog box that appears. Have you tried different ways of
              > opening them? Have you had this experience with more than one long named
              > file? Maybe it is a funny or corrupt file?
              >
              > Don Passenger

              mapsonx, Don,

              I had decided not to reply since I, also, use Pro. I convinced myself
              the file opening mechanism shouldn't be that different between the 2
              programs so here goes.

              I created 2 files with filename length of 75 characters, alphabetic and
              numeric, including spaces, not including the length of the extension.
              Each file is 16kb and these are the filenames;

              1234567890 abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz 1234567890
              abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.txt

              abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz 1234567890 abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
              1234567890.txt

              I have not discovered a method or sequence of loading that does not
              work. I can doubleclick, use the file menu or drag&drop, everything
              works with or without other, shorter name, files loaded.

              I hate to venture a guess but I would rename NoteTab.ini and create a
              new one to see if that makes a difference.

              hrs
            • mapsonx
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 7, 2003
                Hi hsavage

                > I had decided not to reply

                I'm glad you did. You clearly understand what I was explaining.

                Since your reply, I found it was a combination of long file name
                length and long path name length.

                I created 2 files using your filenames & placed them on my desktop.
                As you said, they opened o.k. in the same instance.

                I then went to the sub-folder where my original long name files
                reside, but they would not open in the active instance with the files
                from the desktop.

                So I moved those original long name files to my desktop, & guess
                what? From the desktop they operate normally; opening as they should
                alongside the the other files in the active instance.

                Please try this.

                Create the following path: C:\My Documents\This is test folder
                number one\This is test folder number two

                Place the long name files in "This is test folder number two".

                Try to open those files in the same instance.

                Thanks,

                - J -
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 7, 2003
                  mapsonx wrote:

                  > Hi hsavage
                  >
                  > Since your reply, I found it was a combination of long file name
                  > length and long path name length.
                  >
                  > I created 2 files using your filenames & placed them on my desktop.
                  > As you said, they opened o.k. in the same instance.
                  >
                  > I then went to the sub-folder where my original long name files
                  > reside,
                  >
                  > So I moved those original long name files to my desktop, & guess
                  > what?
                  >
                  > Create the following path: C:\My Documents\This is test folder number
                  one\This is test folder number two

                  > Place the long name files in "This is test folder number two".
                  >
                  > Try to open those files in the same instance.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > - J -

                  J,

                  I did as you suggested, and, you're right, the problem is a function of
                  the path/filename length. After creating the folders I could not load
                  them by double clicking the files in the file manager.

                  I experimented, and started removing the spaces between the words in the
                  pathname. It appears, for NoteTab, a combined path/filename length of
                  150 characters will work, a length of 151 won't work. The path/filename
                  below is 150 characters long and it works without trouble.

                  C:\My Documents\Thisistestfoldernumberone\This is
                  testfoldernumbertwo\1234567890 abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz 1234567890
                  abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.txt

                  Using the full length, spaces in place, path and renaming 1 of the files
                  to a doc extension making the path/filename length 158 characters loaded
                  fine in Word.

                  I will have to say this is an extreme case but the is a small
                  discrepancy with very long path/filenames.

                  hrs
                • mapsonx
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 7, 2003
                    hrs,

                    > It appears, for NoteTab, a combined path/filename length of
                    > 150 characters will work, a length of 151 won't work.

                    > Using the full length, spaces in place, path and renaming 1 of the
                    > files to a doc extension making the path/filename length 158
                    > characters loaded fine in Word.

                    I'm not sure what your point was in the .doc example. Are you saying
                    that you can you open multiple files with over 150 characters in the
                    same instance of Word?

                    I don't see any NoteTab restriction in opening single files with
                    path/name combinations of well over 150 characters, or opening
                    multiple files, each with well over 150 characters, if you
                    activate "Multiple Instances" from the "View" menu.

                    Apparently, the character limit in NoteTab only applies with multiple
                    files in the same instance.

                    Not trying to be a nag. I don't want to belabor the point since it
                    looks like nothing can be done about it, & I really dont't wish this
                    to appear like I'm criticizing you or a fine free app like NoteTab
                    (never look a gift horse in the mouth, lol) --- just thought it might
                    be helpful to mention it.

                    Thx for the assistance,

                    - J -
                  • mapsonx
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 29, 2003
                      I'm wondering if this issue will be addressed in the next version?

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 30, 2003
                        Hi mapsonx,

                        >I'm wondering if this issue will be addressed in the next version?

                        I'll let Eric know to add the problem to check it in a future release.

                        >> I did as you suggested, and, you're right, the problem is a
                        >> function of the path/filename length. After creating the
                        >> folders I could not load them by double clicking the files in
                        >> the file manager.
                        >>
                        >> I experimented, and started removing the spaces between the
                        >> words in the pathname. It appears, for NoteTab, a combined
                        >> path/filename length of 150 characters will work, a length of
                        >> 151 won't work. The path/filename below is 150 characters long
                        >> and it works without trouble.
                        >>
                        >> C:\My Documents\Thisistestfoldernumberone\This is
                        >> testfoldernumbertwo\1234567890 abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
                        >> 1234567890 abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.txt
                        >>
                        >> Using the full length, spaces in place, path and renaming 1 of
                        >> the files to a doc extension making the path/filename length
                        >> 158 characters loaded fine in Word.
                        >>
                        >> I will have to say this is an extreme case but the is a small
                        >> discrepancy with very long path/filenames.

                        Happy Tab'n,
                        Jody Adair

                        NoteTabbers Assistant Page Clean-Funnies dot com
                        http://www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
                      • mapsonx
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 30, 2003
                          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
                          > I'll let Eric know to add the problem to check it in a future
                          > release.

                          I would prefer using only NoteTab. Unfortunately, this behavior all
                          to often forces me to use a secondary text editor (the only
                          alternative of course being to move the given file to an area where
                          it's below the NoteTab path/filename length limit. Very
                          inconvenient)

                          Hope it works out. Thanks for listening.

                          - J -
                        • neveroutoftune
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 1, 2003
                            I, too, experienced this problem although I never thought about
                            experimenting with path/filename length. Looking forward to a
                            solution.