Re: [NTB] New NoteTab site

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 1, 2003
      Hi Krzysztof,

      >Well basically, this page could rock if it was written 2 years ago.
      >The layout is done with tables, which is a legacy approach. However I
      >understand that this is because support for old and buggy browsers is
      >needed (having NN4.x and IE5.0 on my mind). Fair, but not really
      >educational.

      My approach in using tables is indeed to support the older browsers. My web
      sites are not designed for educational purposes, but to ensure that as many
      people as possible can access the resources I offer.

      >OTOH I'm a bit disappointed that the look is almost as it used to be
      >before. I thought you maybe did some more complete redesign.

      A complete redesign would take me too long. Don't forget that my primary
      business is software development, not Web site design.

      >To sum up, the new pages are fine, but could be better.

      Thanks for your comments.

      Regards,
      Eric G.V. Fookes
      Author of NoteTab, Mailbag Assistant, and Easy Imager

    • Horst Nogajski
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 2, 2003
        Hi Eric,
        (wow, I speak to the author of my standard-WinEditor himself, *g*)

        first a short OT-note: I like your NoteTab Pro very, very much =:)

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Eric G.V. Fookes" <egroups@f...> wrote:
        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I've recently rewritten both my www.notetab.com and www.fookes.com
        sites
        > using PHP, CSS, and Javascript. I'd be interested to know if the new
        pages
        > display alright in your browser (especially the order page) and how you
        > like it. I'm always happy to read your suggestions if you see ways to
        > improve the design.

        [...]

        I have only had a look to the notetab-site and klicked around for a
        short while:

        Have not found an error.

        Only some displaying diferences accordingly to the browser I've used:
        Using a Netscape 6.x or the (real) Mozilla 1.4 (latest stable Version)
        I get embedded the moz4.css instead of the main.css which I get with
        MS-IE.
        With Mozilla and moz4.css there are no lines in the head/logo part and
        also no dots in the background on the right site.

        This looks much better to me than the version with MS-IE.
        It's clearer, more quiet and points my eyes more to the content than
        to the dots ;-).

        Also the colors have changed a bit, if I remember allright the
        previous version.

        All used colors harmonize with each other without make the pages be a
        bore. The site make a fresh impression.

        It's quiet right to use tables to support older browsers and/or the
        exotic ones.

        Last but not least, all informations are clearly arranged, what is the
        first goal for the site.

        And even you have not changed the layout to much, so that my first
        impression was, (after visting the site the first time since one year):
        'Coming to someones (well known house) enjoyed recognizing that he has
        renovated it, but still knowning ones way around' =:)

        Best wishes,
        Horst Nogajski

        http://horst.nogajski.de
      • Eric G.V. Fookes
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 7, 2003
          Hello Horst,

          >(wow, I speak to the author of my standard-WinEditor himself, *g*)

          Hahaa. It's not like you're talking to Bill Gates <bg>.

          >first a short OT-note: I like your NoteTab Pro very, very much =:)

          Thanks!

          >I have only had a look to the notetab-site and klicked around for a
          >short while:
          >
          >Have not found an error.
          >
          >Only some displaying diferences accordingly to the browser I've used:
          >Using a Netscape 6.x or the (real) Mozilla 1.4 (latest stable Version)
          >I get embedded the moz4.css instead of the main.css which I get with
          >MS-IE.

          Oops, that was not supposed to happen. I have fixed this now.

          >With Mozilla and moz4.css there are no lines in the head/logo part and
          >also no dots in the background on the right site.

          Correct. I had to do that due to a bug in Netscape 4.x way of handling CSS
          files from subdirectories.

          >This looks much better to me than the version with MS-IE.
          >It's clearer, more quiet and points my eyes more to the content than
          >to the dots ;-).

          Fair enough.

          >All used colors harmonize with each other without make the pages be a
          >bore. The site make a fresh impression.

          I'm glad to hear that. I have to confess that I'm color blind to a certain
          degree so I'm never quite sure how others perceive my color combinations.

          >It's quiet right to use tables to support older browsers and/or the
          >exotic ones.

          That's the way I feel about it too.

          >Last but not least, all informations are clearly arranged, what is the
          >first goal for the site.

          Precisely :)

          >And even you have not changed the layout to much, so that my first
          >impression was, (after visting the site the first time since one year):
          >'Coming to someones (well known house) enjoyed recognizing that he has
          >renovated it, but still knowning ones way around' =:)

          Thanks. Your feedback is much appreciated.