Re: [NTB] NoteTabReference.OTL

  • R.S.
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1, 1998
      Hi Wayne:

      >>Find
      >> [Find] [GetLine] [GetSelection] [Jump] [StrIndex] [StrPos] [StrReplace]
      >>
      >>ADD: GetWord, GetBlock, GetChar, GetField, Replace, Goto

      >GetWord, GetBlock, GetChar I think not to be close enough related to
      >find.

      I'd agree, but since you inserted [GetLine] [GetSelection]...

      >Goto absolutely should not be linked to from Find.

      Agreed too. My mistake.

      __________

      >GetClipboard
      > [CopyClip] [GetClipboard] [GetClipboardSize] [GetSelection]
      >[IsPasteBoard] [SetClipboard]

      Just Noticed now, don't you see some recursion here (GetClipboard -
      [GetClipboard]) ? -:)

      >>ADD: Select, Copy, Paste, OnClipboardChange, ^$GetPasteboardDivider$,
      >>^$GetSelSize$

      >Here, I already included IsPasteBoard. As the clipboard and pasteboard
      >are only indirectly related - I felt it best to only include one
      >representative of its group of commands. Same with GetSelSize - it
      >just doesn't come close enough to being relevant to GetClipboard.

      Good point.

      >And an important comment: There is no clipbook command,
      >"OnClipboardChange", and therefore the current outline has no heading
      >for it. Nevertheless the information about it needs a home in the
      >outline. For now, I am marking such items with **,
      >e.g. [**OnClipboardChange]. I will later add headings for these
      >"stragglers."

      But it's so pertinent it has to be referenced here.
      __________

      >>GetCol
      >> [GetChar] [GetCol] [GetDocCount] [GetRow] [Jump] [MoveCursor] [SetCursor]
      >>
      >>ADD:
      >>GetDocCount??? ---> ^$GetLineCount$, ^$GetLine(Index),
      >>^$GetLine[({+/-}Index)]$, ^$GetLineSize(Index), ^$GetLineSize[({+/-}Index)]$

      >You are correct that I should NOT have originally included GetDocCount.
      >I have deleted it from GetCol's links. GetLine will not be included.

      That was a confusion of mine.

      __________

      >>GetDocIndex
      >> [Document] [GetDocIndex] [GetLineCount] [GetTextSize] [GetTopicCount]
      >>[SetDocIndex]
      >>
      >>ADD:^$GetIndexDocName(Index), ^$GetDocCount$
      >
      >Umph! Another major oversight on my part.
      >
      >I still feel relieved that I got past the initial stage of listing
      >cross-references. I expected it to take on hour, not a tedious six
      >hours. Oh, how naive I was.

      You've done a remarkable job. If you had known before hand perhaps you
      wouldn't have started it. Now it's up to all of us to help you editing!

      Regards,

      RS

      ----
    • Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 1, 1998
        R.S. wrote:

        >Hi Wayne:

        >>GetClipboard
        >> [CopyClip] [GetClipboard] [GetClipboardSize] [GetSelection]
        >>[IsPasteBoard] [SetClipboard]
        >

        >Just Noticed now, don't you see some recursion here (GetClipboard -
        >[GetClipboard]) ? -:)

        Yes. I mentioned "self-references" in my original post. It was
        easier to include the self-references when I compiled the list.
        Then if when doing a later command, I realized it would be very
        similar to an earlier command; I could copy the whole list, and not
        have to fill in the missing item.

        >>And an important comment: There is no clipbook command,
        >>"OnClipboardChange", and therefore the current outline has no heading
        >>for it. Nevertheless the information about it needs a home in the
        >>outline. For now, I am marking such items with **,
        >>e.g. [**OnClipboardChange]. I will later add headings for these
        >>"stragglers."
        >
        >But it's so pertinent it has to be referenced here.

        Which is what I meant. [**OnClipBoardChange] will be a link, even
        if it a dead link until a header is created for it. The ** give
        me something to search for in finding all such links.

        >>I still feel relieved that I got past the initial stage of listing
        >>cross-references. I expected it to take on hour, not a tedious six
        >>hours. Oh, how naive I was.
        >
        >You've done a remarkable job. If you had known before hand perhaps you
        >wouldn't have started it. Now it's up to all of us to help you editing!

        Than you so very much.

        --
        Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen ICQ: 15117288

        Find out about the BEST Text/HTML editor for Windows!
        My Homepage: http://www2.localaccess.com/waynemv

        Libertarians for Privacy RC5-64 Cracking Team
        http://homepages.together.net/~hardy/VTLP/rc5.html

        ----
      • Nicole Simon
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 3, 1998
          Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen wrote:
          > Let me know if any important cross-references are missing.

          Wow. Great job Wayne, thanks!

          > Also, I
          > tried to error on the side of giving too many cross-references for
          > a topic, rather than miss any.

          One thing I really love about windows help files: the 'look also here'
          thing. Sometimes I just remember 'hmmm... was something like XYZ'. I don't
          my brain for learning the commands but try to get reference links to one
          another.

          With Clipsyntax I sometimes have a problem because I don't understand why
          Eric has put this here and not there. This crossreference will be a real
          timesaver and a good help.

          Nicole
          --
          Money is a powerful aphrodisiac, but flowers work almost as well.
          Robert A. Heinlein

          ----
        • Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 3, 1998
            A new version of NoteTabRef.OTL is now on my page. This version includes
            the cross-references. There may likely still be some mistakes.

            A few links are preceded by **. Topics for them do not yet exist
            Expect to get an error if you click on any of them. ;-)

            http://www2.localaccess.com/waynemv

            or http://www2.localaccess.com/waynemv/ntr45fb1.zip

            (But if you use the first option, you'll hit my web counter,
            and I like to know when I have visitors. ;-) )

            nisi@... (Nicole Simon) wrote:
            >Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen wrote:
            >> Let me know if any important cross-references are missing.
            >
            >Wow. Great job Wayne, thanks!

            Thank you.

            >> Also, I tried to error on the side of giving too many
            >> cross-references for a topic, rather than miss any.

            How much I went by this philosophy may have varied with how tired
            I was at the time. ;-) Some topics have a wider variety of links
            than do other topics. But I didn't want to overload either, as
            spurious cross-references would weaken the value of having any
            cross-references at all.

            >One thing I really love about windows help files: the 'look also here'
            >thing. Sometimes I just remember 'hmmm... was something like XYZ'. I don't
            >my brain for learning the commands but try to get reference links to one
            >another.

            My mind was going a bit crazy when I was making the cross-references. At
            one point I was _honestly_ thinking, "Ya, know, if Eric's document had
            cross-references it would make this task of mine easier, maybe I should
            suggest it to him." -- Honestly, took me a few seconds to realize my
            thinking was circular, I was making the cross-references myself!

            {Huh, I thought it was funny. You all think I am weird, now, don't you?}

            >With Clipsyntax I sometimes have a problem because I don't understand why
            >Eric has put this here and not there. This crossreference will be a real
            >timesaver and a good help.

            Thanks again. It is nice to know this work was appreciated.

            --
            Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen ICQ: 15117288

            Find out about the BEST Text/HTML editor for Windows!
            My Homepage: http://www2.localaccess.com/waynemv

            Libertarians for Privacy RC5-64 Cracking Team
            http://homepages.together.net/~hardy/VTLP/rc5.html

            ----
          • Glenn Dixon
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 3, 1998
              Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen wrote:

              <snip>

              "You all think I am weird, now, don't you?"

              um, Wayne..........key word here is "now".....I already new you were
              weird from quite awhile ago *hehe*

              --
              Glenn Dixon---ICQ # 392271
              webwide@...---http://home1.gte.net/webwide