Re: [NTB] New NoteTab site

  • Lloyd
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 28, 2003
      At 11:58 AM 6/28/03, you wrote:
      >Lloyd wrote:

      > > Hi Eric,
      > >
      > > I like the looks of the new pages better than before. I think it is just
      > > the proportions. I use Mozilla and 600 x 800. The buy pages have to
      >scroll
      > > to see all of the page. It has about 1/2 inch of white on the bottom
      >scroll
      > > bar. I imagine they would be reading the list of software on the left at
      > > the same time they were filling out the order form.
      > >
      > > Lloyd
      >
      >Eric, Lloyd,
      >
      >I also use Mozilla, 1.5a the latest beta. I'm also set up for 600x800
      >and I don't have to scroll right on any of the new webpages. The most
      >scrollable space on my horizontal bar is around 1/4 inch and there is
      >nothing readable in that area..

      Mine is Mozilla 1.2.1. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

      Lloyd
    • loro
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 28, 2003
        At 18:58 2003.06.28, hsavage wrote:
        >Lloyd wrote:
        >>The buy pages have to scroll
        >>to see all of the page

        >lso use Mozilla, 1.5a the latest beta. I'm also set up for 600x800
        >and I don't have to scroll right on any of the new webpages.

        You will if you increase the text size to more than 100%. Lloyd probably likes his text bigger than you do. It's the Products table, it seems. The text can't wrap when it gets larger so the table breaks and then it in its turn breaks the layout table and the ball is rolling.

        Lotta
      • Lloyd
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 28, 2003
          At 01:34 PM 6/28/03, you wrote:
          >At 18:58 2003.06.28, hsavage wrote:
          > >Lloyd wrote:
          > >>The buy pages have to scroll
          > >>to see all of the page
          >
          > >lso use Mozilla, 1.5a the latest beta. I'm also set up for 600x800
          > >and I don't have to scroll right on any of the new webpages.
          >
          >You will if you increase the text size to more than 100%. Lloyd probably
          >likes his text bigger than you do. It's the Products table, it seems. The
          >text can't wrap when it gets larger so the table breaks and then it in its
          >turn breaks the layout table and the ball is rolling.
          >

          >Lotta

          You don't think it might be because the eyes are quite a bit older do you?

          Lloyd
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 28, 2003
            Lloyd wrote:

            > At 11:58 AM 6/28/03, you wrote:
            >
            >> Lloyd wrote:
            >>

            >> wrote:
            >>> >
            >> Hi everyone,
            >>> >>
            >> I've recently rewritten both my www.notetab.com
            >>>

            >> Hi Eric,
            >>>
            >> I like the looks of the new pages better than before. I think it is just
            >> the proportions. I use Mozilla and 600 x 800. The buy pages have to
            >>>
            >> Lloyd
            >>
            >> Eric, Lloyd,
            >>
            >> I also use Mozilla, 1.5a the latest beta.
            >

            > Mine is Mozilla 1.2.1. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
            >
            > Lloyd

            That is a very good possibility. I upgrade to the newest version at
            least once a day and it would be difficult to remember any differences
            between the current version and one that far back.

            This is just a guess but I would estimate ver. 1.2.1 is 6 months(or
            more) old. Even after having said that I can't verify any changes in
            the rendering engine, which, I believe, is called Gecko.

            hrs
          • John Zeman
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 28, 2003
              LOL Lloyd we old codgers gotta stick together! Just a few weeks ago
              I switched to using a new laptop puter for doing everything as
              opposed to splitting duties between a desktop and laptop. And this
              new machine came with, and performs best with, a screen resolution of
              1400x1050..

              I was already sold on the concept of creating web pages with
              changeable font sizes, but after seeing how pages look on this
              machine I'm convinced adjustable font sizes are crucial. Some of the
              pages I used to see just fine on my other computer I can barely read
              on this new one.. But all in all this new one really out performs
              what I've had up until now..

              Eric your new site looks fine to me though, I just felt like rambling
              on a bit here as some of us old dogs tend to do once in awhile.. :)

              John

              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Lloyd <lloyd2@m...> wrote:
              > You don't think it might be because the eyes are quite a bit older
              do you?

              > Lloyd
            • loro
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 29, 2003
                Lloyd wrote:
                >>You will if you increase the text size to more than 100%. Lloyd probably
                >>likes his text bigger than you do. It's the Products table, it seems. The
                >>text can't wrap when it gets larger so the table breaks and then it in its
                >>turn breaks the layout table and the ball is rolling.
                >
                >You don't think it might be because the eyes are quite a bit older do you?

                Hey Lloyd, that wasn't meant as criticism of your preferred text size. Far from. I'm all for resizeable text, me.
                My point was that the reason that page breaks at a smaller text size than the others is the Products table. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.

                Lotta
              • Nicole Simon
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 29, 2003
                  "John Zeman" <john041650@...> wrote:
                  >machine I'm convinced adjustable font sizes are crucial. Some of the
                  >pages I used to see just fine on my other computer I can barely read
                  >on this new one..

                  This is exaktly the reason why _you_ as the user choose the basic fontsize
                  which is suitable for you on a page with non set font sizes.

                  If you just take your new laptop and let the fontsize be as it is, it is of
                  course too small.

                  adjustable fonts are for people who want to show me on their website that
                  they like this paragraph be 120% of my usual size. Not 16px or 20px because
                  it looks good on their site.

                  You choose which size is best readable for you and this can be much higher
                  than someone who likes it small. If you then hit websites with fixed fonts,
                  you are lost. If you hit websites who say things like 'make this 90% and
                  this 130% of his choose' you can read them.

                  Nicole

                  --
                  Nicole Simon · nisi@... · http://www.gnak.de/
                  Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 29, 2003
                    At 02:53 AM 6/29/2003 , you wrote:
                    >Lloyd wrote:
                    >>>You will if you increase the text size to more than 100%. Lloyd probably
                    >>>likes his text bigger than you do. It's the Products table, it seems. The
                    >>>text can't wrap when it gets larger so the table breaks and then it in its
                    >>>turn breaks the layout table and the ball is rolling.
                    >>
                    >>You don't think it might be because the eyes are quite a bit older do you?
                    >
                    >Hey Lloyd, that wasn't meant as criticism of your preferred text size. Far
                    from. I'm all for resizeable text, me.
                    >My point was that the reason that page breaks at a smaller text size than the
                    others is the Products table. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.

                    >Lotta

                    Hi Lotta,

                    Not taken as criticism. No offense taken in any way. I know, every few years I
                    seem to make the print bigger and bigger just to see it.

                    Lloyd
                  • Krzysztof Trybowski
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 29, 2003
                      On Friday, June 27, 2003 you wrote:

                      > I've recently rewritten both my www.notetab.com and www.fookes.com sites
                      > using PHP, CSS, and Javascript. I'd be interested to know if the new pages
                      > display alright in your browser (especially the order page) and how you
                      > like it. I'm always happy to read your suggestions if you see ways to
                      > improve the design.

                      Well basically, this page could rock if it was written 2 years ago.
                      The layout is done with tables, which is a legacy approach. However I
                      understand that this is because support for old and buggy browsers is
                      needed (having NN4.x and IE5.0 on my mind). Fair, but not really
                      educational.

                      OTOH I'm a bit disappointed that the look is almost as it used to be
                      before. I thought you maybe did some more complete redesign.

                      The good thing is, that new page is valid HTML according to W3C.

                      To sum up, the new pages are fine, but could be better.

                      --
                      / Krzysztof Trybowski pgp 0xE0F7733B /--/ To get my pgp key, put /
                      / www.thebat.i.krakow.pl uin 4350719 /--/ "send_key" in subject. /_
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 29, 2003
                        Hi folks,

                        Since this topic is definitely getting off topic, I'd recommend taking it
                        to the off topic list @
                        ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
                        If you aren't subscribed to the list send an email to
                        ntb-OffTopic-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                        thanks!
                        Julie
                      • Nicole Simon
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 30, 2003
                          Krzysztof Trybowski <trybowski@...> wrote:
                          >OTOH I'm a bit disappointed that the look is almost as it used to be
                          >before. I thought you maybe did some more complete redesign.

                          Have you seen any drastical changes at amazon or yahoo the last years? You
                          haven't. But if you compare them to their look a few years ago, you'll see
                          dramatical changes -but they where given step by step.

                          Here's the first step for notetab ;o)

                          Nicole

                          --
                          Nicole Simon · nisi@... · http://www.gnak.de/
                          Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.
                        • Eric G.V. Fookes
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 1, 2003
                            Hi Krzysztof,

                            >Well basically, this page could rock if it was written 2 years ago.
                            >The layout is done with tables, which is a legacy approach. However I
                            >understand that this is because support for old and buggy browsers is
                            >needed (having NN4.x and IE5.0 on my mind). Fair, but not really
                            >educational.

                            My approach in using tables is indeed to support the older browsers. My web
                            sites are not designed for educational purposes, but to ensure that as many
                            people as possible can access the resources I offer.

                            >OTOH I'm a bit disappointed that the look is almost as it used to be
                            >before. I thought you maybe did some more complete redesign.

                            A complete redesign would take me too long. Don't forget that my primary
                            business is software development, not Web site design.

                            >To sum up, the new pages are fine, but could be better.

                            Thanks for your comments.

                            Regards,
                            Eric G.V. Fookes
                            Author of NoteTab, Mailbag Assistant, and Easy Imager

                          • Horst Nogajski
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 2, 2003
                              Hi Eric,
                              (wow, I speak to the author of my standard-WinEditor himself, *g*)

                              first a short OT-note: I like your NoteTab Pro very, very much =:)

                              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Eric G.V. Fookes" <egroups@f...> wrote:
                              > Hi everyone,
                              >
                              > I've recently rewritten both my www.notetab.com and www.fookes.com
                              sites
                              > using PHP, CSS, and Javascript. I'd be interested to know if the new
                              pages
                              > display alright in your browser (especially the order page) and how you
                              > like it. I'm always happy to read your suggestions if you see ways to
                              > improve the design.

                              [...]

                              I have only had a look to the notetab-site and klicked around for a
                              short while:

                              Have not found an error.

                              Only some displaying diferences accordingly to the browser I've used:
                              Using a Netscape 6.x or the (real) Mozilla 1.4 (latest stable Version)
                              I get embedded the moz4.css instead of the main.css which I get with
                              MS-IE.
                              With Mozilla and moz4.css there are no lines in the head/logo part and
                              also no dots in the background on the right site.

                              This looks much better to me than the version with MS-IE.
                              It's clearer, more quiet and points my eyes more to the content than
                              to the dots ;-).

                              Also the colors have changed a bit, if I remember allright the
                              previous version.

                              All used colors harmonize with each other without make the pages be a
                              bore. The site make a fresh impression.

                              It's quiet right to use tables to support older browsers and/or the
                              exotic ones.

                              Last but not least, all informations are clearly arranged, what is the
                              first goal for the site.

                              And even you have not changed the layout to much, so that my first
                              impression was, (after visting the site the first time since one year):
                              'Coming to someones (well known house) enjoyed recognizing that he has
                              renovated it, but still knowning ones way around' =:)

                              Best wishes,
                              Horst Nogajski

                              http://horst.nogajski.de
                            • Eric G.V. Fookes
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 7, 2003
                                Hello Horst,

                                >(wow, I speak to the author of my standard-WinEditor himself, *g*)

                                Hahaa. It's not like you're talking to Bill Gates <bg>.

                                >first a short OT-note: I like your NoteTab Pro very, very much =:)

                                Thanks!

                                >I have only had a look to the notetab-site and klicked around for a
                                >short while:
                                >
                                >Have not found an error.
                                >
                                >Only some displaying diferences accordingly to the browser I've used:
                                >Using a Netscape 6.x or the (real) Mozilla 1.4 (latest stable Version)
                                >I get embedded the moz4.css instead of the main.css which I get with
                                >MS-IE.

                                Oops, that was not supposed to happen. I have fixed this now.

                                >With Mozilla and moz4.css there are no lines in the head/logo part and
                                >also no dots in the background on the right site.

                                Correct. I had to do that due to a bug in Netscape 4.x way of handling CSS
                                files from subdirectories.

                                >This looks much better to me than the version with MS-IE.
                                >It's clearer, more quiet and points my eyes more to the content than
                                >to the dots ;-).

                                Fair enough.

                                >All used colors harmonize with each other without make the pages be a
                                >bore. The site make a fresh impression.

                                I'm glad to hear that. I have to confess that I'm color blind to a certain
                                degree so I'm never quite sure how others perceive my color combinations.

                                >It's quiet right to use tables to support older browsers and/or the
                                >exotic ones.

                                That's the way I feel about it too.

                                >Last but not least, all informations are clearly arranged, what is the
                                >first goal for the site.

                                Precisely :)

                                >And even you have not changed the layout to much, so that my first
                                >impression was, (after visting the site the first time since one year):
                                >'Coming to someones (well known house) enjoyed recognizing that he has
                                >renovated it, but still knowning ones way around' =:)

                                Thanks. Your feedback is much appreciated.