RE: [NTB] New NoteTab site

  • Ball, Dan
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 27 9:59 AM
      Hey Erik, it all looks good to me in IE6, Mozilla 1.3, Opera 6 & 7

      Whats the scoop on NoteTab 5 these days? It would be nice to get some news...

      Dan Ball - Retek Application Support
      Web Developer/NT System Administrator
      Phone - 612 587-2143
      Cell - 612 720-3409
      dan.ball@...

      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 27 11:01 AM
        Hi Eric,

        At 06:36 PM 6/27/03 +0200, you wrote:
        >Hi everyone,
        >
        >I've recently rewritten both my www.notetab.com and www.fookes.com sites
        >using PHP, CSS, and Javascript. I'd be interested to know if the new pages
        >display alright in your browser (especially the order page) and how you
        >like it. I'm always happy to read your suggestions if you see ways to
        >improve the design.

        Lucky me. I just upgraded to MSIE 6 due to a problem that I was having
        getting my new Hewlette-Packard 2175w All-In-One Printer/Scanner/Copier to
        scan documents into Easy Imager. Now I find that my favorite Netscape
        Communicator 4.51 will not visit the NoteTab or Fookes Software sites any
        more. It will access the mail list web sites but the NoteTab home page is
        off limits to this version of Netscape. When I try to go there, Netscape
        says that the program has performed and illegal action and terminates the
        program. I have switched to MSIE 6 as my default browser and got to the
        site easily.

        It looks fine Eric. I am not much of a connoisseur when it comes to new
        web page gadgetry but it does look a little better than before with the
        buttons arranged side by side like that. It is a much more compact
        presentation.

        I have preferred using Netscape due to having all of my bookmarks set up in
        it. I will most likely take the three hours or so download time to upgrade
        to version 7. Right now I have MSIE 6 as my current browser and I am
        looking at a function in it which appears to allow me to import my Netscape
        bookmarks into MSIE. I will probably try that first.

        Regards,

        Larry
        larryt@...
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 27 12:50 PM
          Larry Thomas wrote:

          > Hi Eric,
          >
          > At 06:36 PM 6/27/03 +0200, you wrote:
          >
          >> Hi everyone,
          >>
          >> I've recently rewritten both my www.notetab.com and www.fookes.com
          sites
          >> using PHP, CSS, and Javascript.
          >

          > Lucky me.
          >
          > It looks fine Eric.
          >
          > I have preferred using Netscape due to having all of my bookmarks set
          up in
          > it. I will most likely take the three hours or so download time to
          upgrade
          > to version 7.>
          > Regards,

          Larry,

          I'm using the latest Mozilla beta and I think you'll appreciate either
          Netscape 7 or Mozilla. A good thing about either is the bookmarks are
          still valid and will be adopted by a new install.

          The latest is quite a bit ahead of Netscape 7 and is very stable so
          far. The Mozilla I'm using is 1.5a and I downloaded it yesterday.

          hrs
        • Eric G.V. Fookes
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 27 3:57 PM
            Thanks Nicole, Larry, and Diane for mentioning the problems with Netscape
            4.x. I've now fixed the issue, though the result still isn't as nice as I'd
            like it to be. Oh well, at least Netscape 4.x users can access my sites now.

            Regards,
            Eric Fookes

            At 13:04 27/06/2003 -0400, you wrote:
            >Only the top banner for either site displays in Netscape 4.78. Both are
            >fine in Netscape 7.
            >
            >At 12:36 PM 6/27/2003, you wrote:
            > >Hi everyone,
            > >
            > >I've recently rewritten both my www.notetab.com and www.fookes.com sites
            > >using PHP, CSS, and Javascript. I'd be interested to know if the new pages
            > >display alright in your browser (especially the order page) and how you
            > >like it. I'm always happy to read your suggestions if you see ways to
            > >improve the design.
            > >
            > >Have a nice weekend!
            > >
            > >Regards,
            > >Eric G.V. Fookes
            > >Author of NoteTab, Mailbag Assistant, and Easy Imager
            > >http://www.fookes.com/ and http://www.notetab.com/

          • Larry Thomas
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 27 5:16 PM
              Hi Eric,

              I previously wrote:

              >I have preferred using Netscape due to having all of my bookmarks set up in
              >it. I will most likely take the three hours or so download time to upgrade
              >to version 7. Right now I have MSIE 6 as my current browser and I am
              >looking at a function in it which appears to allow me to import my Netscape
              >bookmarks into MSIE. I will probably try that first.

              Well, I have been experimenting with MSIE 6 and I have been sucessful in
              importing my Netscape bookmarks. So far, it looks like I might prefer MSIE
              over Netscape now that I can do this and have all of my old bookmarks. Now
              all I have to do is to go through and weed out all of the useless outdated
              ones. Thanks for the impetus for the switch over. Now my Easy Imager
              Albums look ok with out messing with them.

              Regards,

              Larry
              larryt@...
            • Don Passenger
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 27 5:54 PM
                Hi Eric,

                It is nice that you fixed the problems for NS 4.x people, but you might
                consider downloading a copy of the html fix it hit count script over at
                http://htmlfixit.com/free.php before spending too much time on one browser
                or another. The info you collect with that free script may help you in the
                design of your pages.

                We have been running a copy on our server/pages now for a bit and we have
                been able to confirm that we get almost zero ns 4.x visitors. It also tells
                us operating system and screen resolution of our visitors, which goes well
                beyond the things you might collect in your server logs, but are infinately
                helpful in designing pages to the proper standards for most of your viewers.
                You can view a demo (much lower counts than our real page counter):
                http://htmlfixit.com/demos2/index.php?page=cgi-bin/demos/fixit-counter.pl

                It might be nice if others hit it too so we can gather some more stats in
                the demo and if you find any problems write me direct. Portions of the
                scripting were done in notetab pro by the way.

                One problem I had initially with your new page setup was that my link to
                refer people to notetab light was broken because your old .htm page was
                renamed to a .php extension. It appears you now have that fixed (presumably
                by configuring your server) to get to the correct page up from the old link.

                I suspect we are wandering off topic, so replies (if any) to the off topic
                list would probably be best. I have copied that group.

                --

                Don Passenger

                If you need an html fix visit
                http://www.htmlfixit.com

                to fix your problems
                > Thanks Nicole, Larry, and Diane for mentioning the problems with Netscape
                > 4.x. I've now fixed the issue, though the result still isn't as nice as
                I'd
                > like it to be. Oh well, at least Netscape 4.x users can access my sites
                now.

                > Regards,
                > Eric Fookes
              • Eric G.V. Fookes
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 28 2:52 AM
                  Hi Don,

                  >It is nice that you fixed the problems for NS 4.x people, but you might
                  >consider downloading a copy of the html fix it hit count script over at
                  >http://htmlfixit.com/free.php before spending too much time on one browser
                  >or another. The info you collect with that free script may help you in the
                  >design of your pages.

                  Interesting tool :) I use WebLog Expert to analyze my logs and it really
                  gives me quite a good idea of what's going on. My fookes.com stats from
                  yesterday show that I have 4.76% visitors using Netscape 4.x and 3.09%
                  using Netscape 3.x. Those numbers are quite significant. As for screen
                  resolution, I've designed the pages to work under 800x600 based on a
                  maximized MSIE window. Obviously, there'll be less space in the window if
                  the user opens the Explorer Bar and horizontal scrolling will be necessary.

                  >We have been running a copy on our server/pages now for a bit and we have
                  >been able to confirm that we get almost zero ns 4.x visitors.

                  That's very odd.

                  >One problem I had initially with your new page setup was that my link to
                  >refer people to notetab light was broken because your old .htm page was
                  >renamed to a .php extension. It appears you now have that fixed (presumably
                  >by configuring your server) to get to the correct page up from the old link.

                  I don't understand how this could happen. The old .htm pages are still
                  there. However, I've set my server to redirect the main .htm pages to the
                  new .php pages. This should not cause any links to break.

                  Thanks for your comments.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 28 3:10 AM
                    Hi Dan,

                    >Hey Erik, it all looks good to me in IE6, Mozilla 1.3, Opera 6 & 7

                    Thanks for testing!

                    >Whats the scoop on NoteTab 5 these days? It would be nice to get some news...

                    I've done a lot of work on the code base for v5 while developing Easy
                    Imager. Since releasing all the updates, my priority was to improve my Web
                    sites, which is what I've done now. This is also useful for NoteTab 5.0 as
                    I've familiarized myself with PHP, CSS, and Javascript, which it will
                    support. I won't have much time for programming this summer as we're in the
                    process of moving our home and office to a new town in another Swiss canton
                    (like another state). There's a lot of time-consuming administrative
                    hassles to deal with. I probably won't be able to get back to some serious
                    coding until September.

                  • jorma.oksanen@aina.fi
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 28 6:57 AM
                      On 28 Jun 2003 at 10:30, "Eric G.V. Fookes" <egroups@...> wrote:

                      > I've recently rewritten both my www.notetab.com and www.fookes.com sites
                      > using PHP, CSS, and Javascript. I'd be interested to know if the new pages
                      > display alright in your browser (especially the order page) and how you
                      > like it. I'm always happy to read your suggestions if you see ways to
                      > improve the design.

                      Pages look fine with Opera 6/7 and Lynx. As there have been some blind
                      users in mailing lists, I'd advice adding 1x1 pixel transparent gif for
                      invisible link over page navigation:

                      [a href="#content"][img src="1x1.gif" alt="skip navigation"][/a]

                      That will make pages faster to use with text-based browser.

                      Jorma
                    • Jonathan Knight
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 28 9:36 AM
                        It looks great in Mozilla with 1024x768 resolution. However, you might
                        try dividing the large blue bar that is to the right of the main page
                        data so iti is on both the left and right sides.

                        Jonathan Knight

                        > using PHP, CSS, and Javascript. I'd be interested to know if the new
                        pages
                        > display alright in your browser (especially the order page) and how
                        you
                        > like it. I'm always happy to read your suggestions if you see ways to
                        > improve the design.

                        Pages look fine with Opera 6/7 and Lynx. As there have been some blind
                        users in mailing lists, I'd advice adding 1x1 pixel transparent gif for
                        invisible link over page navigation:

                        [a href="#content"][img src="1x1.gif" alt="skip navigation"][/a]

                        That will make pages faster to use with text-based browser.

                        Jorma

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                        007389:HM/A=1564415/R=0/SIG=11t6t7kdo/*http:/www.netflix.com/Default?mqs
                        o=60164784&partid=3170658>

                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
                        pmail/S=:HM/A=1564415/rand=745537127>

                      • Don Passenger
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 28 11:00 AM
                          Comments Inline - at the risk of be-laboring a point that might not be of
                          interest to all (or should this be moved to off topic or html in other words
                          :-)

                          > Interesting tool :) I use WebLog Expert to analyze my logs and it really
                          > gives me quite a good idea of what's going on. My fookes.com stats from
                          > yesterday show that I have 4.76% visitors using Netscape 4.x and 3.09%
                          > using Netscape 3.x. Those numbers are quite significant. As for screen
                          > resolution, I've designed the pages to work under 800x600 based on a
                          > maximized MSIE window. Obviously, there'll be less space in the window if
                          > the user opens the Explorer Bar and horizontal scrolling will be
                          necessary.

                          8% is significant! I suspect your stats are skewed by two things (and one
                          of the reason we wrote the "hit stat counter" at
                          http://htmlfixit.com/free.php is it corrects for one of these -- we wrote it
                          for ourselves and liked it enough to share):

                          1. if you log NS4 for example and one user wanders around, reloads, etc.
                          some logs will show that as mulitiple hits, vs our tool which logs them just
                          once per day and gives a better look at the percentage of users as opposed
                          to percentage of views (though either could be relevant). We count the hits
                          but not log the stats for repeaters.

                          2. you have "html writers" who like to bang on things with different
                          browsers; I expect many of the 4.x people who tested the new site to see
                          what it would do, don't actually surf that browser on a regular basis. I
                          always sought 100% compatibility with NS 4.x until about 6 months ago when
                          our stats show it to be under 1% of viewers and fading. Those numbers are
                          generally supported by the way as a GENERAL trend (particular sites may vary
                          greatly):
                          http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp - "global web
                          statistics"
                          but compare with their internal stats
                          http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_war.asp - "w3schools.com site"

                          Having said that, it should be accessible even if less than perfect, if
                          possible. But I would no longer tweak for ns3 or 4 browsers unless I in
                          fact had 8% of the people using it. I would be interested to know if the 8%
                          numbers hold up over a few months and/or if that discounts repeat traffic
                          from one user.

                          >However, I've set my server to redirect the main .htm pages to the
                          > new .php pages. This should not cause any links to break.

                          Configuring your server to redirect is a great way to handle that. Maybe I
                          hit a temporary out or caught is just as you were redoing it or something.
                          That day I went manually and learned that you had changed over to php. That
                          was several weeks ago I would guess. It is working fine now.

                          It is a nice upgrade to the pages. I do agree with those who think the free
                          software image should either be clickable or not like the clickable ones.
                          It is confusing as I would think it a broken link image.

                          It isn't said enough here, but I say: thanks for a great piece of software
                          at an affordable price. I sell it every chance I get to make other peoples
                          computing improve like mine has.

                          Don
                        • Nicole Simon
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 28 11:58 AM
                            [Eric, NS 4.78 looks okay now, I will test again against this very buggy
                            4.75 on monday.]

                            "Don Passenger" <dpasseng@...> wrote:
                            >8% is significant! I suspect your stats are skewed by two things (and one

                            I like those selfulfilling prophecies.

                            >1. if you log NS4 for example and one user wanders around, reloads, etc.
                            >some logs will show that as mulitiple hits, vs our tool which logs them just

                            8 percent of my logfile showing people wandering around on my site to
                            inform themselve is still significant. Cause there seems to be something
                            interessting on my site which makes 8 percent of my total traffic.

                            Your webpage is readable in NS 4,7x - but not looking very nice. Why should
                            I bother wanderin around exploring it? Obviously you don't want me. (Just
                            as a information - my company - several thousand employees - uses NS 4.75
                            and there is no way for the user changing it.)

                            And even if only 1% use it - 1% of how many visitors? 8% of the users on
                            Eric's page are probably more than 100% on your complete traffic.

                            You can't just look at the figures, you must know how to read them in the
                            context to the rest of it.

                            Notetab list have shown over all this years a very significant percentage
                            of users using older hardware, older software (i bet there are still win
                            3.1 users around) plus a very high percentage of blind users - there is no
                            other place in the web where I met so many of them. To be precise: I can't
                            remember one other list (and I have many of them) where I had at least one
                            member telling others that he is blind and using a product.

                            And even more important: They always where very thankful about Eric and his
                            way of supporting this. Thankful enough for example to give note on their
                            webpages about this great editor. To friends. And so on.

                            Clasical win-win. Eric understood this a long time ago,
                            and has shown this every since (with or without consciousness about it).
                            Would be nice if more people understood this.

                            Nicole

                            --
                            Nicole Simon · nisi@... · http://home.pages.de/~nisi/
                            Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 28 3:01 PM
                              Eric, Dennis

                              (*Free*)
                              I see what Dennis is getting at ...
                              The orange oval with bold type inside it everywhere else signals a link.

                              If you remove the oval and just leave the words "Free!" or "Free Software"
                              in bold in the same relative positions that the prices are in the paid
                              versions I think its clearer.

                              Regards ... Alec

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 30 9:39 AM
                                "Eric G.V. Fookes" <egroups@...> took the quill and wrote:

                                > I've recently rewritten both my www.notetab.com and www.fookes.com
                                > sites using PHP, CSS, and Javascript. I'd be interested to know if
                                > the new pages display alright in your browser (especially the
                                > order page) and how you like it. I'm always happy to read your
                                > suggestions if you see ways to improve the design.

                                Displays well in my IE6 as in everybody else's.

                                Another point: Did you simply forget the Version numbering of
                                NoteTab on the site or is it some kind of evil plan? :-)

                                Ralf
                              • Christopher Chaltain
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 30 6:57 PM
                                  I looked at the site quickly, using IE 6, Windows XP and JFW 4.5.1, and
                                  it looked accessible to those of us using screen reading software. Note
                                  that I just looked at it quickly, and just with the above configuration,
                                  so this doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't any accessibility
                                  issues at all. Good job!

                                  Christopher

                                  Christopher J Chaltain
                                  cchaltain@...

                                  "Eric G.V. Fookes" <egroups@...>
                                  06/27/2003 11:36 AM
                                  Please respond to notetab

                                  To: notetab@yahoogroups.com, ntb-html@yahoogroups.com
                                  cc:

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 1, 2003
                                    Hi Ralf,

                                    >Another point: Did you simply forget the Version numbering of
                                    >NoteTab on the site or is it some kind of evil plan? :-)

                                    The version number is mentioned in many places: download page, products
                                    page, order page, and upgrades page. It's hardly a secret. It's also on the
                                    front page under the news section, but I agree it could be indicated more
                                    clearly in the top part of the page. Thanks.

                                    Regards,
                                    Eric G.V. Fookes
                                    Author of NoteTab, Mailbag Assistant, and Easy Imager

                                  • Charles Sulka
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 3, 2003
                                      Eric:

                                      I thought I was running the current version of NTP. When
                                      I checked, it said it was V4.9/np (full version). I'm
                                      experiencing some problems (on minimize, sometimes the logo
                                      is in the tray, sometimes the program is minimized, and sometimes
                                      it just closes--it seems to be random). I went to Fookes
                                      software site and could not locate the upgrade page. I did
                                      see instructions to "Check for Updates" under HELP . . . but
                                      there is no such option in my program.

                                      Let's assume I need to upgrade to a newer build and the
                                      little quirks will be cleared up. Where does one find the
                                      upgrade page now? I'm running IE6 on WIN98SE if it matters.

                                      Thanks!

                                      Charles Sulka
                                    • hsavage
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 3, 2003
                                        Charles Sulka wrote:

                                        > Eric:
                                        >
                                        > I thought I was running the current version of NTP.

                                        > I went to Fookes software site and could not locate the
                                        > upgrade page. I did see instructions to "Check for Updates"
                                        > under HELP . . . but there is no such option in my program.
                                        >
                                        > Where does one find the upgrade page now?
                                        > I'm running IE6 on WIN98SE if it matters.
                                        >
                                        > Thanks!
                                        >
                                        > Charles Sulka

                                        Charles,

                                        The current version is 4.95. A link for Upgrades is in the left
                                        margin of notetab.com. This is a link for the upgrade page.

                                        http://notetab.com/upgrade.php

                                        "Check for Updates" was added in version 4.95.

                                        hrs
                                      • Charles Sulka
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jul 3, 2003
                                          Eric:

                                          A little while ago I inquired as to the update page. I
                                          found it, and discovered that somehow I wasn't running
                                          the current V4.95. Got it installed now. It all looks
                                          good.

                                          Thanks for a great product and fantastic support!

                                          Charles Sulka