New NoteTab site

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 27, 2003
      Hi everyone,

      I've recently rewritten both my www.notetab.com and www.fookes.com sites
      using PHP, CSS, and Javascript. I'd be interested to know if the new pages
      display alright in your browser (especially the order page) and how you
      like it. I'm always happy to read your suggestions if you see ways to
      improve the design.

      Have a nice weekend!

      Regards,
      Eric G.V. Fookes
      Author of NoteTab, Mailbag Assistant, and Easy Imager

    • Dennis Cummins
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 27, 2003
        Hi Eric,

        On Friday, June 27, 2003 at 18:36, Eric G.V. Fookes wrote:

        > I've recently rewritten both my www.notetab.com and www.fookes.com sites
        > using PHP, CSS, and Javascript. I'd be interested to know if the new pages
        > display alright in your browser (especially the order page) and how you
        > like it. I'm always happy to read your suggestions if you see ways to
        > improve the design.

        The page looks very nice Eric, I like it.

        I was wondering about the 'Free Software' button. It is not clickable like all
        the other buttons. Is that right?

        --
        Dennis
      • Diane Dahmen
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 27, 2003
          Only the top banner for either site displays in Netscape 4.78. Both are
          fine in Netscape 7.

          At 12:36 PM 6/27/2003, you wrote:
          >Hi everyone,
          >
          >I've recently rewritten both my www.notetab.com and www.fookes.com sites
          >using PHP, CSS, and Javascript. I'd be interested to know if the new pages
          >display alright in your browser (especially the order page) and how you
          >like it. I'm always happy to read your suggestions if you see ways to
          >improve the design.
          >
          >Have a nice weekend!
          >
          >Regards,
          >Eric G.V. Fookes
          >Author of NoteTab, Mailbag Assistant, and Easy Imager
          >http://www.fookes.com/ and http://www.notetab.com/

        • Carl Swann
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 27, 2003
            --- "Eric G.V. Fookes" <egroups@...> wrote:
            > Hi everyone,
            >
            > I've recently rewritten both my www.notetab.com

            Hi, Eric... the new sites look great in both Smart
            Explorer, a shell over MSIE 6... and Netscape
            Communicator 4.8.

            However, on Netscape, there are two small differences
            I note:
            1) the green background bar behind "Selection of
            Awards" and "News" is missing in Netscape.
            2) in Netscape, the beveled border is missing around
            the blue boxes that show the programs' names and
            Info/Buy/exe/zip buttons.

            Neither of these is "critical"... and the pages still
            look great in Netscape.

            But, hey - you asked :-) !!

            Carl Swann

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • Eric G.V. Fookes
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 28, 2003
              Hi Carl,

              >Hi, Eric... the new sites look great in both Smart
              >Explorer, a shell over MSIE 6... and Netscape
              >Communicator 4.8.

              Great!

              >However, on Netscape, there are two small differences
              >I note:
              >1) the green background bar behind "Selection of
              >Awards" and "News" is missing in Netscape.

              Netscape was not able to extend the background across the page, so I
              removed if from my CSS file.

              >2) in Netscape, the beveled border is missing around
              >the blue boxes that show the programs' names and
              >Info/Buy/exe/zip buttons.

              I coded it that way :)

              >Neither of these is "critical"... and the pages still
              >look great in Netscape.
              >
              >But, hey - you asked :-) !!

              Thanks for testing :)

              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 28, 2003
                Hi Dennis,

                >The page looks very nice Eric, I like it.

                Glad you like it!

                >I was wondering about the 'Free Software' button. It is not clickable
                >like all
                >the other buttons. Is that right?

                That button is the counterpart to the "buy it" buttons. Since you can't buy
                free software, there's nothing to click on <g>. Does it look wrong to you?

                Regards,
                Eric G.V. Fookes
                Author of NoteTab, Mailbag Assistant, and Easy Imager

              • Lloyd
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 28, 2003
                  >--- "Eric G.V. Fookes" <egroups@...> wrote:
                  > > Hi everyone,
                  > >
                  > > I've recently rewritten both my www.notetab.com

                  Hi Eric,

                  I like the looks of the new pages better than before. I think it is just
                  the proportions. I use Mozilla and 600 x 800. The buy pages have to scroll
                  to see all of the page. It has about 1/2 inch of white on the bottom scroll
                  bar. I imagine they would be reading the list of software on the left at
                  the same time they were filling out the order form.

                  Lloyd
                • Dennis
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 28, 2003
                    Hi Eric,

                    On Saturday, June 28, 2003 at 12:12, Eric G.V. Fookes wrote:

                    > >I was wondering about the 'Free Software' button. It is not clickable
                    > >like all the other buttons. Is that right?
                    >
                    > That button is the counterpart to the "buy it" buttons. Since you can't buy
                    > free software, there's nothing to click on <g>. Does it look wrong to you?

                    Yes it does. I think you explain to the right there that this is free software
                    so I see no need for the button.

                    --
                    Dennis
                  • hsavage
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 28, 2003
                      Lloyd wrote:

                      >> wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> Hi everyone,
                      >>>
                      >>> I've recently rewritten both my www.notetab.com
                      >

                      > Hi Eric,
                      >
                      > I like the looks of the new pages better than before. I think it is just
                      > the proportions. I use Mozilla and 600 x 800. The buy pages have to
                      scroll
                      > to see all of the page. It has about 1/2 inch of white on the bottom
                      scroll
                      > bar. I imagine they would be reading the list of software on the left at
                      > the same time they were filling out the order form.
                      >
                      > Lloyd

                      Eric, Lloyd,

                      I also use Mozilla, 1.5a the latest beta. I'm also set up for 600x800
                      and I don't have to scroll right on any of the new webpages. The most
                      scrollable space on my horizontal bar is around 1/4 inch and there is
                      nothing readable in that area..

                      This appears to be a function of the displayable font size. I have my
                      Wheel mouse set to decrease or increase font size by pressing Shift and
                      rolling the wheel in either direction.

                      One click roll on the wheel, in the increase direction does require me
                      to scroll slightly to the right.

                      I have been to sites that allow increases in font size without
                      increasing page width, up to a point, they do, however, spread in the
                      vertical plane but everything repositions nicely and still remains very
                      readable.

                      hrs
                    • Lloyd
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 28, 2003
                        At 11:58 AM 6/28/03, you wrote:
                        >Lloyd wrote:

                        > > Hi Eric,
                        > >
                        > > I like the looks of the new pages better than before. I think it is just
                        > > the proportions. I use Mozilla and 600 x 800. The buy pages have to
                        >scroll
                        > > to see all of the page. It has about 1/2 inch of white on the bottom
                        >scroll
                        > > bar. I imagine they would be reading the list of software on the left at
                        > > the same time they were filling out the order form.
                        > >
                        > > Lloyd
                        >
                        >Eric, Lloyd,
                        >
                        >I also use Mozilla, 1.5a the latest beta. I'm also set up for 600x800
                        >and I don't have to scroll right on any of the new webpages. The most
                        >scrollable space on my horizontal bar is around 1/4 inch and there is
                        >nothing readable in that area..

                        Mine is Mozilla 1.2.1. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

                        Lloyd
                      • loro
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 28, 2003
                          At 18:58 2003.06.28, hsavage wrote:
                          >Lloyd wrote:
                          >>The buy pages have to scroll
                          >>to see all of the page

                          >lso use Mozilla, 1.5a the latest beta. I'm also set up for 600x800
                          >and I don't have to scroll right on any of the new webpages.

                          You will if you increase the text size to more than 100%. Lloyd probably likes his text bigger than you do. It's the Products table, it seems. The text can't wrap when it gets larger so the table breaks and then it in its turn breaks the layout table and the ball is rolling.

                          Lotta
                        • Lloyd
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 28, 2003
                            At 01:34 PM 6/28/03, you wrote:
                            >At 18:58 2003.06.28, hsavage wrote:
                            > >Lloyd wrote:
                            > >>The buy pages have to scroll
                            > >>to see all of the page
                            >
                            > >lso use Mozilla, 1.5a the latest beta. I'm also set up for 600x800
                            > >and I don't have to scroll right on any of the new webpages.
                            >
                            >You will if you increase the text size to more than 100%. Lloyd probably
                            >likes his text bigger than you do. It's the Products table, it seems. The
                            >text can't wrap when it gets larger so the table breaks and then it in its
                            >turn breaks the layout table and the ball is rolling.
                            >

                            >Lotta

                            You don't think it might be because the eyes are quite a bit older do you?

                            Lloyd
                          • hsavage
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 28, 2003
                              Lloyd wrote:

                              > At 11:58 AM 6/28/03, you wrote:
                              >
                              >> Lloyd wrote:
                              >>

                              >> wrote:
                              >>> >
                              >> Hi everyone,
                              >>> >>
                              >> I've recently rewritten both my www.notetab.com
                              >>>

                              >> Hi Eric,
                              >>>
                              >> I like the looks of the new pages better than before. I think it is just
                              >> the proportions. I use Mozilla and 600 x 800. The buy pages have to
                              >>>
                              >> Lloyd
                              >>
                              >> Eric, Lloyd,
                              >>
                              >> I also use Mozilla, 1.5a the latest beta.
                              >

                              > Mine is Mozilla 1.2.1. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
                              >
                              > Lloyd

                              That is a very good possibility. I upgrade to the newest version at
                              least once a day and it would be difficult to remember any differences
                              between the current version and one that far back.

                              This is just a guess but I would estimate ver. 1.2.1 is 6 months(or
                              more) old. Even after having said that I can't verify any changes in
                              the rendering engine, which, I believe, is called Gecko.

                              hrs
                            • John Zeman
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 28, 2003
                                LOL Lloyd we old codgers gotta stick together! Just a few weeks ago
                                I switched to using a new laptop puter for doing everything as
                                opposed to splitting duties between a desktop and laptop. And this
                                new machine came with, and performs best with, a screen resolution of
                                1400x1050..

                                I was already sold on the concept of creating web pages with
                                changeable font sizes, but after seeing how pages look on this
                                machine I'm convinced adjustable font sizes are crucial. Some of the
                                pages I used to see just fine on my other computer I can barely read
                                on this new one.. But all in all this new one really out performs
                                what I've had up until now..

                                Eric your new site looks fine to me though, I just felt like rambling
                                on a bit here as some of us old dogs tend to do once in awhile.. :)

                                John

                                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Lloyd <lloyd2@m...> wrote:
                                > You don't think it might be because the eyes are quite a bit older
                                do you?

                                > Lloyd
                              • loro
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 29, 2003
                                  Lloyd wrote:
                                  >>You will if you increase the text size to more than 100%. Lloyd probably
                                  >>likes his text bigger than you do. It's the Products table, it seems. The
                                  >>text can't wrap when it gets larger so the table breaks and then it in its
                                  >>turn breaks the layout table and the ball is rolling.
                                  >
                                  >You don't think it might be because the eyes are quite a bit older do you?

                                  Hey Lloyd, that wasn't meant as criticism of your preferred text size. Far from. I'm all for resizeable text, me.
                                  My point was that the reason that page breaks at a smaller text size than the others is the Products table. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.

                                  Lotta
                                • Nicole Simon
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 29, 2003
                                    "John Zeman" <john041650@...> wrote:
                                    >machine I'm convinced adjustable font sizes are crucial. Some of the
                                    >pages I used to see just fine on my other computer I can barely read
                                    >on this new one..

                                    This is exaktly the reason why _you_ as the user choose the basic fontsize
                                    which is suitable for you on a page with non set font sizes.

                                    If you just take your new laptop and let the fontsize be as it is, it is of
                                    course too small.

                                    adjustable fonts are for people who want to show me on their website that
                                    they like this paragraph be 120% of my usual size. Not 16px or 20px because
                                    it looks good on their site.

                                    You choose which size is best readable for you and this can be much higher
                                    than someone who likes it small. If you then hit websites with fixed fonts,
                                    you are lost. If you hit websites who say things like 'make this 90% and
                                    this 130% of his choose' you can read them.

                                    Nicole

                                    --
                                    Nicole Simon · nisi@... · http://www.gnak.de/
                                    Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jun 29, 2003
                                      At 02:53 AM 6/29/2003 , you wrote:
                                      >Lloyd wrote:
                                      >>>You will if you increase the text size to more than 100%. Lloyd probably
                                      >>>likes his text bigger than you do. It's the Products table, it seems. The
                                      >>>text can't wrap when it gets larger so the table breaks and then it in its
                                      >>>turn breaks the layout table and the ball is rolling.
                                      >>
                                      >>You don't think it might be because the eyes are quite a bit older do you?
                                      >
                                      >Hey Lloyd, that wasn't meant as criticism of your preferred text size. Far
                                      from. I'm all for resizeable text, me.
                                      >My point was that the reason that page breaks at a smaller text size than the
                                      others is the Products table. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.

                                      >Lotta

                                      Hi Lotta,

                                      Not taken as criticism. No offense taken in any way. I know, every few years I
                                      seem to make the print bigger and bigger just to see it.

                                      Lloyd
                                    • Krzysztof Trybowski
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 29, 2003
                                        On Friday, June 27, 2003 you wrote:

                                        > I've recently rewritten both my www.notetab.com and www.fookes.com sites
                                        > using PHP, CSS, and Javascript. I'd be interested to know if the new pages
                                        > display alright in your browser (especially the order page) and how you
                                        > like it. I'm always happy to read your suggestions if you see ways to
                                        > improve the design.

                                        Well basically, this page could rock if it was written 2 years ago.
                                        The layout is done with tables, which is a legacy approach. However I
                                        understand that this is because support for old and buggy browsers is
                                        needed (having NN4.x and IE5.0 on my mind). Fair, but not really
                                        educational.

                                        OTOH I'm a bit disappointed that the look is almost as it used to be
                                        before. I thought you maybe did some more complete redesign.

                                        The good thing is, that new page is valid HTML according to W3C.

                                        To sum up, the new pages are fine, but could be better.

                                        --
                                        / Krzysztof Trybowski pgp 0xE0F7733B /--/ To get my pgp key, put /
                                        / www.thebat.i.krakow.pl uin 4350719 /--/ "send_key" in subject. /_
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jun 29, 2003
                                          Hi folks,

                                          Since this topic is definitely getting off topic, I'd recommend taking it
                                          to the off topic list @
                                          ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
                                          If you aren't subscribed to the list send an email to
                                          ntb-OffTopic-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                          thanks!
                                          Julie
                                        • Nicole Simon
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jun 30, 2003
                                            Krzysztof Trybowski <trybowski@...> wrote:
                                            >OTOH I'm a bit disappointed that the look is almost as it used to be
                                            >before. I thought you maybe did some more complete redesign.

                                            Have you seen any drastical changes at amazon or yahoo the last years? You
                                            haven't. But if you compare them to their look a few years ago, you'll see
                                            dramatical changes -but they where given step by step.

                                            Here's the first step for notetab ;o)

                                            Nicole

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jul 1, 2003
                                              Hi Krzysztof,

                                              >Well basically, this page could rock if it was written 2 years ago.
                                              >The layout is done with tables, which is a legacy approach. However I
                                              >understand that this is because support for old and buggy browsers is
                                              >needed (having NN4.x and IE5.0 on my mind). Fair, but not really
                                              >educational.

                                              My approach in using tables is indeed to support the older browsers. My web
                                              sites are not designed for educational purposes, but to ensure that as many
                                              people as possible can access the resources I offer.

                                              >OTOH I'm a bit disappointed that the look is almost as it used to be
                                              >before. I thought you maybe did some more complete redesign.

                                              A complete redesign would take me too long. Don't forget that my primary
                                              business is software development, not Web site design.

                                              >To sum up, the new pages are fine, but could be better.

                                              Thanks for your comments.

                                              Regards,
                                              Eric G.V. Fookes
                                              Author of NoteTab, Mailbag Assistant, and Easy Imager

                                            • Horst Nogajski
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jul 2, 2003
                                                Hi Eric,
                                                (wow, I speak to the author of my standard-WinEditor himself, *g*)

                                                first a short OT-note: I like your NoteTab Pro very, very much =:)

                                                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Eric G.V. Fookes" <egroups@f...> wrote:
                                                > Hi everyone,
                                                >
                                                > I've recently rewritten both my www.notetab.com and www.fookes.com
                                                sites
                                                > using PHP, CSS, and Javascript. I'd be interested to know if the new
                                                pages
                                                > display alright in your browser (especially the order page) and how you
                                                > like it. I'm always happy to read your suggestions if you see ways to
                                                > improve the design.

                                                [...]

                                                I have only had a look to the notetab-site and klicked around for a
                                                short while:

                                                Have not found an error.

                                                Only some displaying diferences accordingly to the browser I've used:
                                                Using a Netscape 6.x or the (real) Mozilla 1.4 (latest stable Version)
                                                I get embedded the moz4.css instead of the main.css which I get with
                                                MS-IE.
                                                With Mozilla and moz4.css there are no lines in the head/logo part and
                                                also no dots in the background on the right site.

                                                This looks much better to me than the version with MS-IE.
                                                It's clearer, more quiet and points my eyes more to the content than
                                                to the dots ;-).

                                                Also the colors have changed a bit, if I remember allright the
                                                previous version.

                                                All used colors harmonize with each other without make the pages be a
                                                bore. The site make a fresh impression.

                                                It's quiet right to use tables to support older browsers and/or the
                                                exotic ones.

                                                Last but not least, all informations are clearly arranged, what is the
                                                first goal for the site.

                                                And even you have not changed the layout to much, so that my first
                                                impression was, (after visting the site the first time since one year):
                                                'Coming to someones (well known house) enjoyed recognizing that he has
                                                renovated it, but still knowning ones way around' =:)

                                                Best wishes,
                                                Horst Nogajski

                                                http://horst.nogajski.de
                                              • Eric G.V. Fookes
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jul 7, 2003
                                                  Hello Horst,

                                                  >(wow, I speak to the author of my standard-WinEditor himself, *g*)

                                                  Hahaa. It's not like you're talking to Bill Gates <bg>.

                                                  >first a short OT-note: I like your NoteTab Pro very, very much =:)

                                                  Thanks!

                                                  >I have only had a look to the notetab-site and klicked around for a
                                                  >short while:
                                                  >
                                                  >Have not found an error.
                                                  >
                                                  >Only some displaying diferences accordingly to the browser I've used:
                                                  >Using a Netscape 6.x or the (real) Mozilla 1.4 (latest stable Version)
                                                  >I get embedded the moz4.css instead of the main.css which I get with
                                                  >MS-IE.

                                                  Oops, that was not supposed to happen. I have fixed this now.

                                                  >With Mozilla and moz4.css there are no lines in the head/logo part and
                                                  >also no dots in the background on the right site.

                                                  Correct. I had to do that due to a bug in Netscape 4.x way of handling CSS
                                                  files from subdirectories.

                                                  >This looks much better to me than the version with MS-IE.
                                                  >It's clearer, more quiet and points my eyes more to the content than
                                                  >to the dots ;-).

                                                  Fair enough.

                                                  >All used colors harmonize with each other without make the pages be a
                                                  >bore. The site make a fresh impression.

                                                  I'm glad to hear that. I have to confess that I'm color blind to a certain
                                                  degree so I'm never quite sure how others perceive my color combinations.

                                                  >It's quiet right to use tables to support older browsers and/or the
                                                  >exotic ones.

                                                  That's the way I feel about it too.

                                                  >Last but not least, all informations are clearly arranged, what is the
                                                  >first goal for the site.

                                                  Precisely :)

                                                  >And even you have not changed the layout to much, so that my first
                                                  >impression was, (after visting the site the first time since one year):
                                                  >'Coming to someones (well known house) enjoyed recognizing that he has
                                                  >renovated it, but still knowning ones way around' =:)

                                                  Thanks. Your feedback is much appreciated.