[NTB] First question on 4.5 beta.

  • djust@netvision.net.il
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1 4:51 PM
      I finally broke down and downloaded the beta, and will probably
      now be asking a lot of questions which have already been
      answered.
      No. 1. I tried to use the View in Browser function from the toolbar,
      and got a box saying "Could not execute c:\program
      files\Opera\Opera.exe". What's wrong?

      Thanks,
      David.

      ----
    • Kay Roath
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1 5:10 PM
        01.08.1998 6:51 PM djust@... wrote

        > No. 1. I tried to use the View in Browser function from the toolbar,
        > and got a box saying "Could not execute c:\program
        > files\Opera\Opera.exe". What's wrong?

        Put it in as your Main Browser - Options|Internet & it works
        great. I find that I have to close the Opera window that has my
        view when I haven't saved the doc yet & use reload in Opera when
        I've changed & saved a doc to get the next view to use my changes.

        How are your 4.0 Clipbooks doing with the beta?

        --- Grandma Kay - NoteTab Tips & Clips weekly Newsletter
        notetab-tips-subscribe@...
        **new subscribers** - Important info & past issues
        http://www.bigfoot.com/~freedom9

        ----
      • djust@netvision.net.il
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1 5:11 PM
          Question no. 2:
          I have several clips of the general form:
          H="Back up index.html"
          ^!COPYFILE:C:\WINDOWS\ùåìçï òáåãä\site2d\index.html
          c:\program files\super
          notetab\bookfiles\ind^[mmddhhnnss^].html
          in one of my clip libraries. (Don't worry about the gibberish in the
          middle: it reads just fine on my Hebrew windows). On my 4.011 in
          c:\program files\NoteTab Pro they work just fine. In the beta,
          sitting in c:\unzipped\notetabb1, I get a message from Windows
          (in Hebrew, of course) telling me that "the file name
          ind0802030844 is too long or illegal". What happened here
          between 4.011 and 4.5?

          Thanks,
          David.

          ----
        • Jody Adair
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1 5:28 PM
            Hi David,

            >^!COPYFILE:C:\WINDOWS\ùåìçï òáåãä\site2d\index.html
            >c:\program files\super
            >notetab\bookfiles\ind^[mmddhhnnss^].html

            What happened here
            >between 4.011 and 4.5?

            Try:

            ^!COPYFILE "C:\WINDOWS\ùåìçï òáåãä\site2d\index.html"
            "c:\program files\super notetab\bookfiles\ind^[mmddhhnnss^].html"

            Also, you had a tab between the copy from/to paths. Might not be
            in the clip, but make sure it is a space anyway.

            c ya,
            Jody
            Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

            http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611

            ----
          • djust@netvision.net.il
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1 6:16 PM
              > >^!COPYFILE:C:\WINDOWS\ùåìçï òáåãä\site2d\index.html
              > >c:\program files\super
              > >notetab\bookfiles\ind^[mmddhhnnss^].html
              >
              > What happened here
              > >between 4.011 and 4.5?
              >
              > Try:
              >
              > ^!COPYFILE "C:\WINDOWS\ùåìçï òáåãä\site2d\index.html"
              > "c:\program files\super notetab\bookfiles\ind^[mmddhhnnss^].html"
              >
              > Also, you had a tab between the copy from/to paths. Might not be
              > in the clip, but make sure it is a space anyway.

              Thanks, Joseph. Works now. I've found a few other changes I'm
              going to have to make before the upgrade, too.

              Grandma, What's the URL of your latest help file?

              Thanks,
              David.

              ----
            • Kay Roath
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 1 11:18 PM
                01.08.1998 8:16 PM djust@... wrote

                > Grandma, What's the URL of your latest help file?

                The WhatsNew.otl is at
                http://freedom.n-i.com/notetab/whatsnew.zip
                This has sections for all of the changes between 4.0 & 4.5.

                An outline form of the ClipSyntax.txt file that comes with the
                beta is at http://freedom.n-i.com/clipsyntax.otl

                They basically contain the same info with WhatsNew being
                alphabetical & ClipSyntax organized by type.

                Wayne's Reference otl is an enhanced combo of both types.
                http://www2.localaccess.com/waynemv/ntr45fb1.zip

                There's also a link on my main notetab page for a zip of the help
                file in otl format. (bigfoot link in sig)

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 1 11:46 PM
                  > An outline form of the ClipSyntax.txt file that comes with the
                  > beta is at http://freedom.n-i.com/clipsyntax.otl
                  Returned a 404.

                  Thanks,
                  David.

                  ----
                • Kay Roath
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 2 12:18 AM
                    02.08.1998 1:46 AM djust@... wrote

                    >> An outline form of the ClipSyntax.txt file that comes with the
                    >> beta is at http://freedom.n-i.com/clipsyntax.otl
                    > Returned a 404.

                    Sorry - left out the /notetab part :(
                    http://freedom.n-i.com/notetab/clipsyntax.otl
                    I need to put those links on the page & stick with
                    http://www.bigfoot.com/~freedom9 which I tend to mess up less
                    frequently than when trying to send invididual file links.

                    --- Grandma Kay - NoteTab Tips & Clips weekly Newsletter
                    notetab-tips-subscribe@...
                    **new subscribers** - Important info & past issues
                    http://www.bigfoot.com/~freedom9

                    ----
                  • Eric G.V. Fookes
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 2 10:38 AM
                      Hi David,

                      >1. I have NTP 4.011/iw. When the 4.5 release version comes out,
                      >I would like to first install it in a separate directory to see if I like
                      it,
                      >and then, if I do like it, install a second copy over my old
                      >c:\program files\NoteTab Pro (and erase the first copy of 4.5).
                      >Will this be possible, or will the upgrade only be willing to install
                      >itself directly over 4.011?

                      You will be able to install it anywhere you like.

                      >2. Will 4.5 be fully back-compatible with 4.011? In plain English,
                      >will my 4.011 clbs run without change in 4.5?

                      Yes, with some rare exceptions due to changes I made fogetting to keep
                      backward compatibility. Please tell me if you discover such problems.

                      Best regards,
                      Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
                      Author of the award-winning NoteTab text editors for Windows
                      and also the 1998 "People's Choice" award!

                      ----
                    • Eric G.V. Fookes
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 2 10:41 AM
                        Hi David,

                        >Question no. 2:
                        >I have several clips of the general form:
                        >H="Back up index.html"
                        >^!COPYFILE:C:\WINDOWS\ùåìçï òáåãä\site2d\index.html
                        >c:\program files\super
                        >notetab\bookfiles\ind^[mmddhhnnss^].html
                        >in one of my clip libraries. (Don't worry about the gibberish in the
                        >middle: it reads just fine on my Hebrew windows). On my 4.011 in
                        >c:\program files\NoteTab Pro they work just fine. In the beta,
                        >sitting in c:\unzipped\notetabb1, I get a message from Windows
                        >(in Hebrew, of course) telling me that "the file name
                        >ind0802030844 is too long or illegal". What happened here
                        >between 4.011 and 4.5?

                        Do you have a tab character between the two parameters? With the new syntax
                        you should put double-quotes around the criteria (as they contain spaces)
                        and use a space as a parameter separator. For example: