winsock2 problem

  • Katy Hestand
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2003
      Hi everybody,
      I wrote the other day about problem I was having with computer acting like
      it was looking at C: drive. As it turns out this was a problem that prodigy
      had never even heard of and they were wanting to re-install .cab files and
      all sorts of things. I finally got mad this morning and went to google on
      another computer and typed in res/c:\\... and it brought up exactly what was
      happening to me res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm and
      finally after some reading I found "W2fix" which fixed the computer in
      about 3 min. flat. I must have spent a solid hour trying to figure it out
      with my ISP. I don't know if this is caused by NoteTab, the forums didn't
      mention this program by name. What it did mention was spyware, none of
      which I have knowly downloaded and removing games from the computer, which I
      have not done. It also mentioned that it could be a heavy duty hacker, but
      I have had this computer less than a week and don't know who would want to
      hack me. Further, the computer I have used for the last 6 mo. isn't having
      this problem.

      Have any of you ever experienced this problem before? Just curious, it
      sure is annoying, thou now that I know how to fix it, won't worry about it
      so much.

      Thanks for the suggestions you all gave me while I couldn't get online to do
      anything about it.

      Katy