Re: [NTB] HTMlib

  • Erik Moeller
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 1998
      DaddyVL worte:

      > Failing that, does anybody have any tips about installing IE Explorer
      > without screwing up my computer ???

      Don't.
      --
      Journalist, Database Programmer, Humanist - Reichshof/Germany
      Phone: +49-2296-9179 - Web: http://www.excelsior.org/~erik

      ----
    • Jody Adair
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 1998
        Hi DaddyVL,

        >recover where I saw it (maybe one of Jody's files or emails?)

        This is from a "How-to.otl" I'm working on. Let me know how it
        worked for you please. Private e-mail preferred to spare the
        others. :)

        How to setup HTMLib.

        From Eric's help:

        "(* to create the shortcut: 1. open Explorer and select
        the HTMLib file; 2. press Ctrl+C to copy it to the
        Clipboard; 3. select the NoteTab directory and choose
        the command 'paste Shortcut' from the Edit menu. The menu
        command will be displayed in NoteTab after you restart it.)"

        The name of the shortcuts in the NoteTab folder are:

        For Version 3 HTMLib
        Htmlib95.hlp

        For Version 4 HTMLib
        HTMLib.exe

        That is the last window before selecting OK in the shortcut
        dialog and is also the name of the file that the shortcut
        must point to.

        For Version 3 HTMLib
        Target: C:\NTB450\HTMLib\Htmlib95.hlp
        Start in: C:\NTB450\HTMLib

        For Version 4 HTMLib
        Target: C:\Program Files\HTMLib.exe
        Start In: C:\Program Files\HTMLib

        At the time of this writing you could get HTMLib versions
        three or four at the following liks.

        Version three is faster loading and does not have all the
        bells and whistles than four does.

        Version 3: http://www.hooked.net/~tails/htmlib/

        Version four has the bells and whisltes in it and has some
        updating of HTML code, but not much.

        Version 4: http://hot.virtual-pc.com/htmlib/

        >Failing that, does anybody have any tips about installing IE
        >Explorer without screwing up my computer ???

        I believe that is a chance thing that depends on the computer
        itself. It just doesn't like to run on some. However, when I
        installed 4.04 I had no problems. Perhaps M$ fixed some bugs.

        c ya,
        Jody
        Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

        http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611

        ----
      • Len & Mary
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 1998
          Hi Clifford;

          I've been using IE 3 since it's release with no problems and
          only minor irritations and frustrations.
          If you are asking about IE 4, I will not use it.
          I tried the IE4 final beta, I disliked the way it was intergrated
          with so many functions that were not internet related and I had
          random problems with a number of programs that had previously
          operated correctly.
          I removed IE 4 but the problems continued. I finaly reformatted
          my main drive to get rid of all the left-over influences and
          totally reloaded windows 95 and my other programs.

          There have been a number of complaints from other users of IE 4.

          Good Luck, Len

          >Failing that, does anybody have any tips about installing IE Explorer
          >without screwing up my computer ???
          >Clifford in Houston

          Len & Mary <mjlohj@...>

          ----
        • Roger Williams
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 1998
            Erik Moeller wrote:

            > DaddyVL worte:
            >
            > > Failing that, does anybody have any tips about installing IE Explorer
            > > without screwing up my computer ???
            >
            > Don't.

            I endorse that. It cost me five hours on the phone to Gateway support,
            two reinstallations of Windows 95, and complete reinstallation of all my
            programs. Plus loss of a couple of working files that I created between
            backups. I have vowed never to allow Internet Explorer onto this
            computer again! If you MUST play with it, have nothing to do with the
            "run desktop like browser" (or something like that... I'm translating
            back from what the Japanese says).

            Whatever happens, you'll be glad that you don't have to wrestle with
            Japanese "help" files. <painful grin>

            Roger

            ----
          • Dr. Jai Maharaj
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 1998
              Aloha!

              On the other hand, installing Win95, IE Explorer,
              and later upgrading to Win98 was a breeze on my confuser. :)

              Jai Maharaj
              jai@...
              Om Shanti

              Roger Williams [mailto:roger@...] wrote:

              > Erik Moeller wrote:
              >
              >> DaddyVL worte:
              >>> Failing that, does anybody have any tips about installing IE Explorer
              >>> without screwing up my computer ???
              >>
              > > Don't.
              >
              > I endorse that. It cost me five hours on the phone to Gateway support,
              > two reinstallations of Windows 95, and complete reinstallation of all my
              > programs. Plus loss of a couple of working files that I created between
              > backups. I have vowed never to allow Internet Explorer . . .

              ----
            • David Martin
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 7, 1998
                DaddyVL said on 10:28 AM 8/1/98 -0500:
                >I would like to use the HTMlib recommended in the NoteTab help, but going to
                >the site it seems to say that I have to have IE Explorer to use it.
                >I thought I saw where an earlier version (3.X?) didn't need it, but I can't
                >recover where I saw it (maybe one of Jody's files or emails?)
                >
                >Failing that, does anybody have any tips about installing IE Explorer
                >without screwing up my computer ???

                Don''t install the Active Desktop" component they say....

                Regards,

                Dave
                David Martin
                mailto:dave@...
                RSA Key ID: 0x24DF806B *all other keys obsolete*
                DH/DSS Key ID: 0xE30D335A Check X-Headers for URL to get keys

                ----