Re: [NTB] NoteTabReference.OTL

  • R.S.
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1, 1998
      Hi Wayne:

      What you're trying to do is admirable, and I can hardly wait till tomorrow
      to download the file. I very much like this cross reference enterprise of
      yours.
      It is not something you can do in 24 hours, though. Too complex.
      Here are some omissions I found, and I probably omitted a lot too. Though
      it is not what you or I would prefer, we'll have to send you our new
      discoveries over time, so you can do the necessary updates.

      Here's my contribution for the time being, up to GetDocIndex:

      ;*********************************************************

      Dos
      [Dos] [Email] [GetDosOutput] [GetOutput] [GetScriptPath]
      [GetStdErrorName] [Run] [RunGawk] [RunPerl] [RunScript] [SetStdErrorName]
      [Sound] [StatusClose] [StatusShow]

      ADD:^$GetSysPath$
      ____________________
      Find
      [Find] [GetLine] [GetSelection] [Jump] [StrIndex] [StrPos] [StrReplace]

      ADD: GetWord, GetBlock, GetChar, GetField, Replace, Goto
      _________________
      GetAppPath
      [ActivateApp] [GetAppPath] [GetGawkExe] [GetLibraryPath] [GetPath]
      [GetPerlExe] [GetScriptPath] [GetSoundPath] [GetTemplatePath] [GetTempFile]
      [GetTmpPath] [GetWinPath] [GetWord] [Goto] [GotoBookmark] [IfPathExist]

      ADD:^$GetSysPath$
      _________________
      GetClipboard
      [CopyClip] [GetClipboard] [GetClipboardSize] [GetSelection]
      [IsPasteBoard] [SetClipboard]

      ADD: Select, Copy, Paste, OnClipboardChange, ^$GetPasteboardDivider$,
      ^$GetSelSize$

      _________________
      GetClipboardSize
      [GetClipboard] [GetClipboardSize] [SetClipboard]

      (Shouldn't have same entries (links) as GetClipboard
      __________________

      GetCol
      [GetChar] [GetCol] [GetDocCount] [GetRow] [Jump] [MoveCursor] [SetCursor]

      ADD:
      GetDocCount??? ---> ^$GetLineCount$, ^$GetLine(Index),
      ^$GetLine[({+/-}Index)]$, ^$GetLineSize(Index), ^$GetLineSize[({+/-}Index)]$

      __________________

      GetDocIndex
      [Document] [GetDocIndex] [GetLineCount] [GetTextSize] [GetTopicCount]
      [SetDocIndex]

      ADD:^$GetIndexDocName(Index), ^$GetDocCount$
      ;***************************************************************

      (to be continued...)

      At 10:07 PM 08/01/98 GMT, you wrote:
      >Wednesday, I wrote:
      >
      >>NoteTabReference.OTL
      >>
      >>is now available on my homepage, or directly from:
      >>
      >>http://www2.localaccess.com/waynemv/ntr45fb1.zip
      >>
      >>It includes a revised version of whatsnew.otl, updated based on
      >>Eric's ClipSyntax.txt. It also includes my rework of the printable
      >>page of keyboard shortcuts. It also integrates Eric's "ReadMe.otl".
      >>
      >>Basically, I tried to include all the useful helps into a single
      >>package, and see that they were updated for NoteTab 4.5 Final Beta #1.
      >>
      >>There may still be some mistakes. I also am getting ready to add
      >>cross-references between the clip commands. For example, the explanation
      >>of the [ActivateApp] command will contain a link to [MinimizeApp].
      >
      >At the end of this post is a tentative cross-reference list. Please
      >give me your comments NOW, as it will be more easier for me to make
      >changes now, rather than after the cross-references are broken up
      >and added to each relevant outline topic.
      >
      >I will remove the self-references later.
      >
      >Let me know if any important cross-references are missing. Also, I
      >tried to error on the side of giving too many cross-references for
      >a topic, rather than miss any. Let me know if you think any of my
      >choices are senseless - e.g. there may be some cross-references that
      >should be removed from the list. Or I just could have made an error
      >cutting and pasting.
      >
      >If all goes well, I will incorporate these into the outline document
      >tomorrow.
      >
      > <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
      >
      >ActivateApp
      > [ActivateApp] [FocusDoc] [MinimizeApp] [Refresh] [ShowClipbook]
      [StatusClose] [StatusShow]

      >AddHeading
      > [AddHeading] [GetIndexDocName] [GetIndexTopicName] [GetTopicCount]
      [GetTopicIndex] [GetTopicName] [IsOutlineDoc] [LoadLibrary] [SetTopicIndex]

      Regards,

      RS

      ----
    • Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 1, 1998
        Thank you R.C. Your help is very valuable to this project. I am
        replying mainly not because the list needs to know the corrections,
        but because I want to discuss (in brief) a few theoretical issues.
        I think the decisions about to include and not to include are somewhat
        interpretive and subjective. It is clear-cut that Find should
        cross-reference Replace. Some of the other decisions are more
        difficult. Since I volunteered to do the editing, and have already
        put 5-6 hours into this - I am appointing myself as a final judge
        in the matter. ;-)

        R.C. wrote:

        >Hi Wayne:
        >
        >What you're trying to do is admirable, and I can hardly wait till tomorrow
        >to download the file. I very much like this cross reference enterprise of
        >yours.
        >It is not something you can do in 24 hours, though. Too complex.
        >Here are some omissions I found, and I probably omitted a lot too. Though
        >it is not what you or I would prefer, we'll have to send you our new
        >discoveries over time, so you can do the necessary updates.

        Okay, you are probably right. But I want to get the initial batch of
        obvious errors fixed before moving on to the next stage.

        >Dos
        > [Dos] [Email] [GetDosOutput] [GetOutput] [GetScriptPath]
        >[GetStdErrorName] [Run] [RunGawk] [RunPerl] [RunScript] [SetStdErrorName]
        >[Sound] [StatusClose] [StatusShow]
        >
        >ADD:^$GetSysPath$

        Good catch. Added.

        >Find
        > [Find] [GetLine] [GetSelection] [Jump] [StrIndex] [StrPos] [StrReplace]
        >
        >ADD: GetWord, GetBlock, GetChar, GetField, Replace, Goto

        Uh stab!!! How could I have missed [Replace]??? Find and replace
        are like brothers. Thank you for noticing this MAJOR oversight.

        GetWord, GetBlock, GetChar I think not to be close enough related to
        find. Goto absolutely should not be linked to from Find.

        >GetAppPath
        > [ActivateApp] [GetAppPath] [GetGawkExe] [GetLibraryPath] [GetPath]
        >[GetPerlExe] [GetScriptPath] [GetSoundPath] [GetTemplatePath] [GetTempFile]
        >[GetTmpPath] [GetWinPath] [GetWord] [Goto] [GotoBookmark] [IfPathExist]
        >
        >ADD:^$GetSysPath$

        Added. Thank you.

        >GetClipboard
        > [CopyClip] [GetClipboard] [GetClipboardSize] [GetSelection]
        >[IsPasteBoard] [SetClipboard]
        >
        >ADD: Select, Copy, Paste, OnClipboardChange, ^$GetPasteboardDivider$,
        >^$GetSelSize$

        Here, I already included IsPasteBoard. As the clipboard and pasteboard
        are only indirectly related - I felt it best to only include one
        representative of its group of commands. Same with GetSelSize - it
        just doesn't come close enough to being relevant to GetClipboard.

        And an important comment: There is no clipbook command,
        "OnClipboardChange", and therefore the current outline has no heading
        for it. Nevertheless the information about it needs a home in the
        outline. For now, I am marking such items with **,
        e.g. [**OnClipboardChange]. I will later add headings for these
        "stragglers."

        Also feel free to suggest links to Outline topics, such as
        [Outline Documents] or [Hyperlinks]

        You should have downloaded the current NoteTabReference.OTL file from
        my page, so you know what headings exist and what headings need added.

        Thanks.

        >GetCol
        > [GetChar] [GetCol] [GetDocCount] [GetRow] [Jump] [MoveCursor] [SetCursor]
        >
        >ADD:
        >GetDocCount??? ---> ^$GetLineCount$, ^$GetLine(Index),
        >^$GetLine[({+/-}Index)]$, ^$GetLineSize(Index), ^$GetLineSize[({+/-}Index)]$

        You are correct that I should NOT have originally included GetDocCount.
        I have deleted it from GetCol's links. GetLine will not be included.

        >GetDocIndex
        > [Document] [GetDocIndex] [GetLineCount] [GetTextSize] [GetTopicCount]
        >[SetDocIndex]
        >
        >ADD:^$GetIndexDocName(Index), ^$GetDocCount$

        Umph! Another major oversight on my part.

        I still feel relieved that I got past the initial stage of listing
        cross-references. I expected it to take on hour, not a tedious six
        hours. Oh, how naive I was.
        --
        Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen ICQ: 15117288

        Find out about the BEST Text/HTML editor for Windows!
        My Homepage: http://www2.localaccess.com/waynemv

        Libertarians for Privacy RC5-64 Cracking Team
        http://homepages.together.net/~hardy/VTLP/rc5.html

        ----
      • R.S.
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 1, 1998
          Hi Wayne:

          >>Find
          >> [Find] [GetLine] [GetSelection] [Jump] [StrIndex] [StrPos] [StrReplace]
          >>
          >>ADD: GetWord, GetBlock, GetChar, GetField, Replace, Goto

          >GetWord, GetBlock, GetChar I think not to be close enough related to
          >find.

          I'd agree, but since you inserted [GetLine] [GetSelection]...

          >Goto absolutely should not be linked to from Find.

          Agreed too. My mistake.

          __________

          >GetClipboard
          > [CopyClip] [GetClipboard] [GetClipboardSize] [GetSelection]
          >[IsPasteBoard] [SetClipboard]

          Just Noticed now, don't you see some recursion here (GetClipboard -
          [GetClipboard]) ? -:)

          >>ADD: Select, Copy, Paste, OnClipboardChange, ^$GetPasteboardDivider$,
          >>^$GetSelSize$

          >Here, I already included IsPasteBoard. As the clipboard and pasteboard
          >are only indirectly related - I felt it best to only include one
          >representative of its group of commands. Same with GetSelSize - it
          >just doesn't come close enough to being relevant to GetClipboard.

          Good point.

          >And an important comment: There is no clipbook command,
          >"OnClipboardChange", and therefore the current outline has no heading
          >for it. Nevertheless the information about it needs a home in the
          >outline. For now, I am marking such items with **,
          >e.g. [**OnClipboardChange]. I will later add headings for these
          >"stragglers."

          But it's so pertinent it has to be referenced here.
          __________

          >>GetCol
          >> [GetChar] [GetCol] [GetDocCount] [GetRow] [Jump] [MoveCursor] [SetCursor]
          >>
          >>ADD:
          >>GetDocCount??? ---> ^$GetLineCount$, ^$GetLine(Index),
          >>^$GetLine[({+/-}Index)]$, ^$GetLineSize(Index), ^$GetLineSize[({+/-}Index)]$

          >You are correct that I should NOT have originally included GetDocCount.
          >I have deleted it from GetCol's links. GetLine will not be included.

          That was a confusion of mine.

          __________

          >>GetDocIndex
          >> [Document] [GetDocIndex] [GetLineCount] [GetTextSize] [GetTopicCount]
          >>[SetDocIndex]
          >>
          >>ADD:^$GetIndexDocName(Index), ^$GetDocCount$
          >
          >Umph! Another major oversight on my part.
          >
          >I still feel relieved that I got past the initial stage of listing
          >cross-references. I expected it to take on hour, not a tedious six
          >hours. Oh, how naive I was.

          You've done a remarkable job. If you had known before hand perhaps you
          wouldn't have started it. Now it's up to all of us to help you editing!

          Regards,

          RS

          ----
        • Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 1, 1998
            R.S. wrote:

            >Hi Wayne:

            >>GetClipboard
            >> [CopyClip] [GetClipboard] [GetClipboardSize] [GetSelection]
            >>[IsPasteBoard] [SetClipboard]
            >

            >Just Noticed now, don't you see some recursion here (GetClipboard -
            >[GetClipboard]) ? -:)

            Yes. I mentioned "self-references" in my original post. It was
            easier to include the self-references when I compiled the list.
            Then if when doing a later command, I realized it would be very
            similar to an earlier command; I could copy the whole list, and not
            have to fill in the missing item.

            >>And an important comment: There is no clipbook command,
            >>"OnClipboardChange", and therefore the current outline has no heading
            >>for it. Nevertheless the information about it needs a home in the
            >>outline. For now, I am marking such items with **,
            >>e.g. [**OnClipboardChange]. I will later add headings for these
            >>"stragglers."
            >
            >But it's so pertinent it has to be referenced here.

            Which is what I meant. [**OnClipBoardChange] will be a link, even
            if it a dead link until a header is created for it. The ** give
            me something to search for in finding all such links.

            >>I still feel relieved that I got past the initial stage of listing
            >>cross-references. I expected it to take on hour, not a tedious six
            >>hours. Oh, how naive I was.
            >
            >You've done a remarkable job. If you had known before hand perhaps you
            >wouldn't have started it. Now it's up to all of us to help you editing!

            Than you so very much.

            --
            Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen ICQ: 15117288

            Find out about the BEST Text/HTML editor for Windows!
            My Homepage: http://www2.localaccess.com/waynemv

            Libertarians for Privacy RC5-64 Cracking Team
            http://homepages.together.net/~hardy/VTLP/rc5.html

            ----
          • Nicole Simon
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 3, 1998
              Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen wrote:
              > Let me know if any important cross-references are missing.

              Wow. Great job Wayne, thanks!

              > Also, I
              > tried to error on the side of giving too many cross-references for
              > a topic, rather than miss any.

              One thing I really love about windows help files: the 'look also here'
              thing. Sometimes I just remember 'hmmm... was something like XYZ'. I don't
              my brain for learning the commands but try to get reference links to one
              another.

              With Clipsyntax I sometimes have a problem because I don't understand why
              Eric has put this here and not there. This crossreference will be a real
              timesaver and a good help.

              Nicole
              --
              Money is a powerful aphrodisiac, but flowers work almost as well.
              Robert A. Heinlein

              ----
            • Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 3, 1998
                A new version of NoteTabRef.OTL is now on my page. This version includes
                the cross-references. There may likely still be some mistakes.

                A few links are preceded by **. Topics for them do not yet exist
                Expect to get an error if you click on any of them. ;-)

                http://www2.localaccess.com/waynemv

                or http://www2.localaccess.com/waynemv/ntr45fb1.zip

                (But if you use the first option, you'll hit my web counter,
                and I like to know when I have visitors. ;-) )

                nisi@... (Nicole Simon) wrote:
                >Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen wrote:
                >> Let me know if any important cross-references are missing.
                >
                >Wow. Great job Wayne, thanks!

                Thank you.

                >> Also, I tried to error on the side of giving too many
                >> cross-references for a topic, rather than miss any.

                How much I went by this philosophy may have varied with how tired
                I was at the time. ;-) Some topics have a wider variety of links
                than do other topics. But I didn't want to overload either, as
                spurious cross-references would weaken the value of having any
                cross-references at all.

                >One thing I really love about windows help files: the 'look also here'
                >thing. Sometimes I just remember 'hmmm... was something like XYZ'. I don't
                >my brain for learning the commands but try to get reference links to one
                >another.

                My mind was going a bit crazy when I was making the cross-references. At
                one point I was _honestly_ thinking, "Ya, know, if Eric's document had
                cross-references it would make this task of mine easier, maybe I should
                suggest it to him." -- Honestly, took me a few seconds to realize my
                thinking was circular, I was making the cross-references myself!

                {Huh, I thought it was funny. You all think I am weird, now, don't you?}

                >With Clipsyntax I sometimes have a problem because I don't understand why
                >Eric has put this here and not there. This crossreference will be a real
                >timesaver and a good help.

                Thanks again. It is nice to know this work was appreciated.

                --
                Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen ICQ: 15117288

                Find out about the BEST Text/HTML editor for Windows!
                My Homepage: http://www2.localaccess.com/waynemv

                Libertarians for Privacy RC5-64 Cracking Team
                http://homepages.together.net/~hardy/VTLP/rc5.html

                ----
              • Glenn Dixon
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 3, 1998
                  Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen wrote:

                  <snip>

                  "You all think I am weird, now, don't you?"

                  um, Wayne..........key word here is "now".....I already new you were
                  weird from quite awhile ago *hehe*

                  --
                  Glenn Dixon---ICQ # 392271
                  webwide@...---http://home1.gte.net/webwide