[NTB] Getting ready for 4.5 release.

  • djust@netvision.net.il
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 1998
      1. I have NTP 4.011/iw. When the 4.5 release version comes out,
      I would like to first install it in a separate directory to see if I like it,
      and then, if I do like it, install a second copy over my old
      c:\program files\NoteTab Pro (and erase the first copy of 4.5).
      Will this be possible, or will the upgrade only be willing to install
      itself directly over 4.011?
      2. Will 4.5 be fully back-compatible with 4.011? In plain English,
      will my 4.011 clbs run without change in 4.5?

      Thanks,
      David.

      ----
    • Kay Roath
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 1998
        01.08.1998 3:42 PM djust@... wrote

        > 1. I have NTP 4.011/iw. When the 4.5 release version comes out,
        > I would like to first install it in a separate directory to see if I like it,
        > and then, if I do like it, install a second copy over my old
        > c:\program files\NoteTab Pro (and erase the first copy of 4.5).
        > Will this be possible, or will the upgrade only be willing to install
        > itself directly over 4.011?
        > 2. Will 4.5 be fully back-compatible with 4.011? In plain English,
        > will my 4.011 clbs run without change in 4.5?

        There were some syntax changes but there's backward compatibility
        for some things. Your best bet is to get the beta from
        http://www.notetab.com/beta.htm & install the zip into a
        different directory. Change the Application Directory in
        Options|Tools to your 4.0 dir so it will use the Clipbooks there
        & then test them.

        When 4.5 is released, there's a good chance it may need to be
        installed into your 4.0 dir to get registration info. That's
        ONLY a guess.

        --- Grandma Kay - NoteTab Tips & Clips weekly Newsletter
        notetab-tips-subscribe@...
        **new subscribers** - Important info & past issues
        http://www.bigfoot.com/~freedom9

        ----
      • djust@netvision.net.il
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 1998
          I finally broke down and downloaded the beta, and will probably
          now be asking a lot of questions which have already been
          answered.
          No. 1. I tried to use the View in Browser function from the toolbar,
          and got a box saying "Could not execute c:\program
          files\Opera\Opera.exe". What's wrong?

          Thanks,
          David.

          ----
        • Kay Roath
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 1998
            01.08.1998 6:51 PM djust@... wrote

            > No. 1. I tried to use the View in Browser function from the toolbar,
            > and got a box saying "Could not execute c:\program
            > files\Opera\Opera.exe". What's wrong?

            Put it in as your Main Browser - Options|Internet & it works
            great. I find that I have to close the Opera window that has my
            view when I haven't saved the doc yet & use reload in Opera when
            I've changed & saved a doc to get the next view to use my changes.

            How are your 4.0 Clipbooks doing with the beta?

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1, 1998
              Question no. 2:
              I have several clips of the general form:
              H="Back up index.html"
              ^!COPYFILE:C:\WINDOWS\ùåìçï òáåãä\site2d\index.html
              c:\program files\super
              notetab\bookfiles\ind^[mmddhhnnss^].html
              in one of my clip libraries. (Don't worry about the gibberish in the
              middle: it reads just fine on my Hebrew windows). On my 4.011 in
              c:\program files\NoteTab Pro they work just fine. In the beta,
              sitting in c:\unzipped\notetabb1, I get a message from Windows
              (in Hebrew, of course) telling me that "the file name
              ind0802030844 is too long or illegal". What happened here
              between 4.011 and 4.5?

              Thanks,
              David.

              ----
            • Jody Adair
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 1, 1998
                Hi David,

                >^!COPYFILE:C:\WINDOWS\ùåìçï òáåãä\site2d\index.html
                >c:\program files\super
                >notetab\bookfiles\ind^[mmddhhnnss^].html

                What happened here
                >between 4.011 and 4.5?

                Try:

                ^!COPYFILE "C:\WINDOWS\ùåìçï òáåãä\site2d\index.html"
                "c:\program files\super notetab\bookfiles\ind^[mmddhhnnss^].html"

                Also, you had a tab between the copy from/to paths. Might not be
                in the clip, but make sure it is a space anyway.

                c ya,
                Jody
                Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611

                ----
              • djust@netvision.net.il
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 1, 1998
                  > >^!COPYFILE:C:\WINDOWS\ùåìçï òáåãä\site2d\index.html
                  > >c:\program files\super
                  > >notetab\bookfiles\ind^[mmddhhnnss^].html
                  >
                  > What happened here
                  > >between 4.011 and 4.5?
                  >
                  > Try:
                  >
                  > ^!COPYFILE "C:\WINDOWS\ùåìçï òáåãä\site2d\index.html"
                  > "c:\program files\super notetab\bookfiles\ind^[mmddhhnnss^].html"
                  >
                  > Also, you had a tab between the copy from/to paths. Might not be
                  > in the clip, but make sure it is a space anyway.

                  Thanks, Joseph. Works now. I've found a few other changes I'm
                  going to have to make before the upgrade, too.

                  Grandma, What's the URL of your latest help file?

                  Thanks,
                  David.

                  ----
                • Kay Roath
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 1, 1998
                    01.08.1998 8:16 PM djust@... wrote

                    > Grandma, What's the URL of your latest help file?

                    The WhatsNew.otl is at
                    http://freedom.n-i.com/notetab/whatsnew.zip
                    This has sections for all of the changes between 4.0 & 4.5.

                    An outline form of the ClipSyntax.txt file that comes with the
                    beta is at http://freedom.n-i.com/clipsyntax.otl

                    They basically contain the same info with WhatsNew being
                    alphabetical & ClipSyntax organized by type.

                    Wayne's Reference otl is an enhanced combo of both types.
                    http://www2.localaccess.com/waynemv/ntr45fb1.zip

                    There's also a link on my main notetab page for a zip of the help
                    file in otl format. (bigfoot link in sig)

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 1, 1998
                      > An outline form of the ClipSyntax.txt file that comes with the
                      > beta is at http://freedom.n-i.com/clipsyntax.otl
                      Returned a 404.

                      Thanks,
                      David.

                      ----
                    • Kay Roath
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 2, 1998
                        02.08.1998 1:46 AM djust@... wrote

                        >> An outline form of the ClipSyntax.txt file that comes with the
                        >> beta is at http://freedom.n-i.com/clipsyntax.otl
                        > Returned a 404.

                        Sorry - left out the /notetab part :(
                        http://freedom.n-i.com/notetab/clipsyntax.otl
                        I need to put those links on the page & stick with
                        http://www.bigfoot.com/~freedom9 which I tend to mess up less
                        frequently than when trying to send invididual file links.

                        --- Grandma Kay - NoteTab Tips & Clips weekly Newsletter
                        notetab-tips-subscribe@...
                        **new subscribers** - Important info & past issues
                        http://www.bigfoot.com/~freedom9

                        ----
                      • Eric G.V. Fookes
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 2, 1998
                          Hi David,

                          >1. I have NTP 4.011/iw. When the 4.5 release version comes out,
                          >I would like to first install it in a separate directory to see if I like
                          it,
                          >and then, if I do like it, install a second copy over my old
                          >c:\program files\NoteTab Pro (and erase the first copy of 4.5).
                          >Will this be possible, or will the upgrade only be willing to install
                          >itself directly over 4.011?

                          You will be able to install it anywhere you like.

                          >2. Will 4.5 be fully back-compatible with 4.011? In plain English,
                          >will my 4.011 clbs run without change in 4.5?

                          Yes, with some rare exceptions due to changes I made fogetting to keep
                          backward compatibility. Please tell me if you discover such problems.

                          Best regards,
                          Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
                          Author of the award-winning NoteTab text editors for Windows
                          and also the 1998 "People's Choice" award!

                          ----
                        • Eric G.V. Fookes
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 2, 1998
                            Hi David,

                            >Question no. 2:
                            >I have several clips of the general form:
                            >H="Back up index.html"
                            >^!COPYFILE:C:\WINDOWS\ùåìçï òáåãä\site2d\index.html
                            >c:\program files\super
                            >notetab\bookfiles\ind^[mmddhhnnss^].html
                            >in one of my clip libraries. (Don't worry about the gibberish in the
                            >middle: it reads just fine on my Hebrew windows). On my 4.011 in
                            >c:\program files\NoteTab Pro they work just fine. In the beta,
                            >sitting in c:\unzipped\notetabb1, I get a message from Windows
                            >(in Hebrew, of course) telling me that "the file name
                            >ind0802030844 is too long or illegal". What happened here
                            >between 4.011 and 4.5?

                            Do you have a tab character between the two parameters? With the new syntax
                            you should put double-quotes around the criteria (as they contain spaces)
                            and use a space as a parameter separator. For example: