[NTB] HTMlib

  • DaddyVL
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 1998
      I would like to use the HTMlib recommended in the NoteTab help, but going to
      the site it seems to say that I have to have IE Explorer to use it.
      I thought I saw where an earlier version (3.X?) didn't need it, but I can't
      recover where I saw it (maybe one of Jody's files or emails?)

      Failing that, does anybody have any tips about installing IE Explorer
      without screwing up my computer ???

      Thanks
      Clifford in Houston

      ----
    • Erik Moeller
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 1998
        DaddyVL worte:

        > Failing that, does anybody have any tips about installing IE Explorer
        > without screwing up my computer ???

        Don't.
        --
        Journalist, Database Programmer, Humanist - Reichshof/Germany
        Phone: +49-2296-9179 - Web: http://www.excelsior.org/~erik

        ----
      • Jody Adair
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 1998
          Hi DaddyVL,

          >recover where I saw it (maybe one of Jody's files or emails?)

          This is from a "How-to.otl" I'm working on. Let me know how it
          worked for you please. Private e-mail preferred to spare the
          others. :)

          How to setup HTMLib.

          From Eric's help:

          "(* to create the shortcut: 1. open Explorer and select
          the HTMLib file; 2. press Ctrl+C to copy it to the
          Clipboard; 3. select the NoteTab directory and choose
          the command 'paste Shortcut' from the Edit menu. The menu
          command will be displayed in NoteTab after you restart it.)"

          The name of the shortcuts in the NoteTab folder are:

          For Version 3 HTMLib
          Htmlib95.hlp

          For Version 4 HTMLib
          HTMLib.exe

          That is the last window before selecting OK in the shortcut
          dialog and is also the name of the file that the shortcut
          must point to.

          For Version 3 HTMLib
          Target: C:\NTB450\HTMLib\Htmlib95.hlp
          Start in: C:\NTB450\HTMLib

          For Version 4 HTMLib
          Target: C:\Program Files\HTMLib.exe
          Start In: C:\Program Files\HTMLib

          At the time of this writing you could get HTMLib versions
          three or four at the following liks.

          Version three is faster loading and does not have all the
          bells and whistles than four does.

          Version 3: http://www.hooked.net/~tails/htmlib/

          Version four has the bells and whisltes in it and has some
          updating of HTML code, but not much.

          Version 4: http://hot.virtual-pc.com/htmlib/

          >Failing that, does anybody have any tips about installing IE
          >Explorer without screwing up my computer ???

          I believe that is a chance thing that depends on the computer
          itself. It just doesn't like to run on some. However, when I
          installed 4.04 I had no problems. Perhaps M$ fixed some bugs.

          c ya,
          Jody
          Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

          http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611

          ----
        • Len & Mary
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 1998
            Hi Clifford;

            I've been using IE 3 since it's release with no problems and
            only minor irritations and frustrations.
            If you are asking about IE 4, I will not use it.
            I tried the IE4 final beta, I disliked the way it was intergrated
            with so many functions that were not internet related and I had
            random problems with a number of programs that had previously
            operated correctly.
            I removed IE 4 but the problems continued. I finaly reformatted
            my main drive to get rid of all the left-over influences and
            totally reloaded windows 95 and my other programs.

            There have been a number of complaints from other users of IE 4.

            Good Luck, Len

            >Failing that, does anybody have any tips about installing IE Explorer
            >without screwing up my computer ???
            >Clifford in Houston

            Len & Mary <mjlohj@...>

            ----
          • Roger Williams
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 1998
              Erik Moeller wrote:

              > DaddyVL worte:
              >
              > > Failing that, does anybody have any tips about installing IE Explorer
              > > without screwing up my computer ???
              >
              > Don't.

              I endorse that. It cost me five hours on the phone to Gateway support,
              two reinstallations of Windows 95, and complete reinstallation of all my
              programs. Plus loss of a couple of working files that I created between
              backups. I have vowed never to allow Internet Explorer onto this
              computer again! If you MUST play with it, have nothing to do with the
              "run desktop like browser" (or something like that... I'm translating
              back from what the Japanese says).

              Whatever happens, you'll be glad that you don't have to wrestle with
              Japanese "help" files. <painful grin>

              Roger

              ----
            • Dr. Jai Maharaj
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 1998
                Aloha!

                On the other hand, installing Win95, IE Explorer,
                and later upgrading to Win98 was a breeze on my confuser. :)

                Jai Maharaj
                jai@...
                Om Shanti

                Roger Williams [mailto:roger@...] wrote:

                > Erik Moeller wrote:
                >
                >> DaddyVL worte:
                >>> Failing that, does anybody have any tips about installing IE Explorer
                >>> without screwing up my computer ???
                >>
                > > Don't.
                >
                > I endorse that. It cost me five hours on the phone to Gateway support,
                > two reinstallations of Windows 95, and complete reinstallation of all my
                > programs. Plus loss of a couple of working files that I created between
                > backups. I have vowed never to allow Internet Explorer . . .

                ----
              • David Martin
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 7, 1998
                  DaddyVL said on 10:28 AM 8/1/98 -0500:
                  >I would like to use the HTMlib recommended in the NoteTab help, but going to
                  >the site it seems to say that I have to have IE Explorer to use it.
                  >I thought I saw where an earlier version (3.X?) didn't need it, but I can't
                  >recover where I saw it (maybe one of Jody's files or emails?)
                  >
                  >Failing that, does anybody have any tips about installing IE Explorer
                  >without screwing up my computer ???

                  Don''t install the Active Desktop" component they say....

                  Regards,

                  Dave
                  David Martin
                  mailto:dave@...
                  RSA Key ID: 0x24DF806B *all other keys obsolete*
                  DH/DSS Key ID: 0xE30D335A Check X-Headers for URL to get keys

                  ----