Re: [NTB] *Select All* and document position

  • loracat2000
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 7 11:50 AM
      Thanks for the input Don, Robert, hrs and Pat.

      Robert -- I did try doing a full uninstall/reinstall with two
      different versions of NoteTab, an older one I had used and the 4.95.
      It still displayed the same behavior, but on the upside I'm now a pro
      at retrieving my configuration settings and favorites :)

      It does seem like it might be an XP thing, BTW my version is XP
      home. Even there though, sometimes it changes the view -- sometimes
      it doesn't. I'll try to hunt around and see what tweaks are
      available.

      Thanks again,

      Andrea S
    • Robert Romberger
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 7 11:53 AM
        On 7 Jun 2003 at 7:59, Pat wrote:

        > At 6/7/2003, hsavage wrote:
        > >I use XPHome, it performs nearly the same as Don says Win2k does.
        > >
        > >Except, in a file that spans more than a full edit window, when in the
        > >middle of the file the screen position does NOT shift or change. The
        > >cursor position however, does change, if less than a full screen, the
        > >cursor goes to row 1-col 1. You must scroll to top to see the cursor
        > >winking.
        > this is how it works for me - xphome and 4.95p
        > it doesn't reset the view of the document but it does move the cursor to the
        > top of the document after selecting all. Scroll up to see it. this behavior
        > might be an xp thing. I do longer remember what 98 did (my last op sys). paT

        Some more testing on my part. NTP 4.95 and XP Pro. If I am at the top of
        the file in the edit window, Select All has no change of the display
        position of the file. Likewise if I am anywhere in the file for the
        display window but have the cursor at 1:1, there is no change in where the
        cursor or display window are - nothing moves. If I have the cursor
        somewhere else in the file (not at 1:1) and the display window anywhere in
        the file, pressing Ctrl-A or Select All will reset the cursor to 1:1 but
        leaves the display window where it was when the selection was made.

        Going to my other computer and loading up NTP 4.8 on NT 4 SP 6 and doing
        the same steps gets the same results as above - ONLY the cursor position
        changes to 1:1. I do not have any other version of Windows to test this
        on, and have not seen any behavior being different than this. Scrap the
        uninstall/re-install thing, it isn't going to help or change anything.
        Likewise, there isn't going to be much chance of a Windows setting that
        will change the behavior either - it doesn't make a difference in two
        versions of Notetab on two versions of Windows (XP Pro and NT 4). Now, it
        might be something with the NT part of Windows, something that NT 4, 2000,
        and XP all share but isn't a part of Windows 95, 98, or ME.

        --
        Robert
        Thought for the day: Part of being sane, is being a little bit crazy.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 7 2:02 PM
            Robert,

            I think you're right about a Windows setting not being the answer.
            When I used the Windows Notepad to load a long text file and did the
            select all command, it shot me right up to the top of my document.
            So it does appear to be a NoteTab specific behavior on my system.

            Andrea S

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Romberger" <jestar@w...>
            wrote:

            > Likewise, there isn't going to be much chance of a Windows setting
            that
            > will change the behavior either - it doesn't make a difference in
            two
            > versions of Notetab on two versions of Windows (XP Pro and NT 4).
            Now, it
            > might be something with the NT part of Windows, something that NT
            4, 2000,
            > and XP all share but isn't a part of Windows 95, 98, or ME.
            >
            > --
            > Robert
            > Thought for the day: Part of being sane, is being a little bit
            crazy.
            > Janet Long
          • loracat2000
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 7 3:27 PM
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Grey Cat" <gc@g...> wrote:

              >I happen to prefet to find myself at the end when I do a Control+A
              but XP just LOVES doing things for you that you didn't know you might
              ever want done.

              LOL ... so I'm discovering. After some time spent working with it
              this way, maybe I'll prefer it too (I hope). I can always shortcut
              to the top of the document using control Home.

              Andrea S
            • Eric Drake
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 7 10:29 PM
                I'm using NoteTab Pro 4.95 and Windows ME. Ctrl-A and
                Select All set the cursor at 1:1

                http://calendar.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 10 1:37 AM
                  Hi All,

                  >So it's not a change with the new version ... I guess it could be a
                  >behavior particular to Windows XP.

                  Anytime text is selected in NoteTab, the cursor sits at the
                  beginning of the selection. So, if you Ctrl+A the cursor will be
                  at 1:1. If you select text manually and select from say 1:25 to 3:2
                  the cursor sits ant 1:25 not like you might think: 3:2 since that is
                  where you selected to before letting go of the mouse button.

                  H=GetCursor
                  ; ^!Select All
                  ^!Info ^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$