Re: [NTB] *Select All* and document position on XP

  • loracat2000
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 6, 2003
      So it's not a change with the new version ... I guess it could be a
      behavior particular to Windows XP.

      Andrea S

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don Passenger" <dpasseng@i...> wrote:
      > win2000 control a cursor goes to top
      > same for edit select all
      >
      > if there is a setting I don't know about it, but it is acting as
      expected
      > for me
      >
      > --
      >
      > Don Passenger
      >
      > If you need an html fix visit
      > http://www.htmlfixit.com
      >
      > html/perl/php/xhtml/javascript presented
      > in easy tutorials with live help and forums
      > to fix your problems

    • Robert Romberger
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 6, 2003
        On 7 Jun 2003 at 1:54, loracat2000 wrote:

        > Control A produces the same results, I start with my cursor at the
        > top and end up looking at the bottom of the document. If this is not
        > normal behavior for the 4.95 version, perhaps I should do a complete
        > (and dreaded)uninstall/reinstall?

        Since I am using a similar setup (Notetab Pro 4.95 and XP Pro), I wanted
        to check what would happen if I did a Select All or Ctrl-A. Both times I
        was left at the top of the document 1:1 for the cursor position. I can
        think of no option to change this behavior or duplicate your problem. :(
        You *might* have a bad install of Notetab, so it might be worth the
        uninstall/reinstall of it.

        --
        Robert
        Thought for the day: Silence is the most perfect expression of scorn.
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 7, 2003
          Don Passenger wrote:

          > win2000 control a cursor goes to top
          > same for edit select all
          >
          > if there is a setting I don't know about it, but it is acting as expected
          > for me
          >
          > --
          >
          > Don Passenger
          >
          > > Control A produces the same results, I start with my cursor at the
          > > top and end up looking at the bottom of the document. If this is not
          > > normal behavior for the 4.95 version, perhaps I should do a complete
          > > (and dreaded)uninstall/reinstall?
          > >
          > > Andrea S

          Andrea,

          I use XPHome, it performs nearly the same as Don says Win2k does.

          Except, in a file that spans more than a full edit window, when in the
          middle of the file the screen position does NOT shift or change. The
          cursor position however, does change, if less than a full screen, the
          cursor goes to row 1-col 1. You must scroll to top to see the cursor
          winking.

          Chances are there is some setting in XP that needs tweaking but you
          might goes through Note tab's settings, just in case.

          hrs
        • Pat
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 7, 2003
            At 6/7/2003, hsavage wrote:
            >I use XPHome, it performs nearly the same as Don says Win2k does.
            >
            >Except, in a file that spans more than a full edit window, when in the
            >middle of the file the screen position does NOT shift or change. The
            >cursor position however, does change, if less than a full screen, the
            >cursor goes to row 1-col 1. You must scroll to top to see the cursor
            >winking.

            this is how it works for me - xphome and 4.95p

            it doesn't reset the view of the document but it does move the cursor to the top of the document after selecting all. Scroll up to see it. this behavior might be an xp thing. I do longer remember what 98 did (my last op sys). paT
          • loracat2000
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 7, 2003
              Thanks for the input Don, Robert, hrs and Pat.

              Robert -- I did try doing a full uninstall/reinstall with two
              different versions of NoteTab, an older one I had used and the 4.95.
              It still displayed the same behavior, but on the upside I'm now a pro
              at retrieving my configuration settings and favorites :)

              It does seem like it might be an XP thing, BTW my version is XP
              home. Even there though, sometimes it changes the view -- sometimes
              it doesn't. I'll try to hunt around and see what tweaks are
              available.

              Thanks again,

              Andrea S
            • Robert Romberger
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 7, 2003
                On 7 Jun 2003 at 7:59, Pat wrote:

                > At 6/7/2003, hsavage wrote:
                > >I use XPHome, it performs nearly the same as Don says Win2k does.
                > >
                > >Except, in a file that spans more than a full edit window, when in the
                > >middle of the file the screen position does NOT shift or change. The
                > >cursor position however, does change, if less than a full screen, the
                > >cursor goes to row 1-col 1. You must scroll to top to see the cursor
                > >winking.
                > this is how it works for me - xphome and 4.95p
                > it doesn't reset the view of the document but it does move the cursor to the
                > top of the document after selecting all. Scroll up to see it. this behavior
                > might be an xp thing. I do longer remember what 98 did (my last op sys). paT

                Some more testing on my part. NTP 4.95 and XP Pro. If I am at the top of
                the file in the edit window, Select All has no change of the display
                position of the file. Likewise if I am anywhere in the file for the
                display window but have the cursor at 1:1, there is no change in where the
                cursor or display window are - nothing moves. If I have the cursor
                somewhere else in the file (not at 1:1) and the display window anywhere in
                the file, pressing Ctrl-A or Select All will reset the cursor to 1:1 but
                leaves the display window where it was when the selection was made.

                Going to my other computer and loading up NTP 4.8 on NT 4 SP 6 and doing
                the same steps gets the same results as above - ONLY the cursor position
                changes to 1:1. I do not have any other version of Windows to test this
                on, and have not seen any behavior being different than this. Scrap the
                uninstall/re-install thing, it isn't going to help or change anything.
                Likewise, there isn't going to be much chance of a Windows setting that
                will change the behavior either - it doesn't make a difference in two
                versions of Notetab on two versions of Windows (XP Pro and NT 4). Now, it
                might be something with the NT part of Windows, something that NT 4, 2000,
                and XP all share but isn't a part of Windows 95, 98, or ME.

                --
                Robert
                Thought for the day: Part of being sane, is being a little bit crazy.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 7, 2003
                    Robert,

                    I think you're right about a Windows setting not being the answer.
                    When I used the Windows Notepad to load a long text file and did the
                    select all command, it shot me right up to the top of my document.
                    So it does appear to be a NoteTab specific behavior on my system.

                    Andrea S

                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Romberger" <jestar@w...>
                    wrote:

                    > Likewise, there isn't going to be much chance of a Windows setting
                    that
                    > will change the behavior either - it doesn't make a difference in
                    two
                    > versions of Notetab on two versions of Windows (XP Pro and NT 4).
                    Now, it
                    > might be something with the NT part of Windows, something that NT
                    4, 2000,
                    > and XP all share but isn't a part of Windows 95, 98, or ME.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Robert
                    > Thought for the day: Part of being sane, is being a little bit
                    crazy.
                    > Janet Long
                  • loracat2000
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 7, 2003
                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Grey Cat" <gc@g...> wrote:

                      >I happen to prefet to find myself at the end when I do a Control+A
                      but XP just LOVES doing things for you that you didn't know you might
                      ever want done.

                      LOL ... so I'm discovering. After some time spent working with it
                      this way, maybe I'll prefer it too (I hope). I can always shortcut
                      to the top of the document using control Home.

                      Andrea S
                    • Eric Drake
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 7, 2003
                        I'm using NoteTab Pro 4.95 and Windows ME. Ctrl-A and
                        Select All set the cursor at 1:1

                        http://calendar.yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 10, 2003
                          Hi All,

                          >So it's not a change with the new version ... I guess it could be a
                          >behavior particular to Windows XP.

                          Anytime text is selected in NoteTab, the cursor sits at the
                          beginning of the selection. So, if you Ctrl+A the cursor will be
                          at 1:1. If you select text manually and select from say 1:25 to 3:2
                          the cursor sits ant 1:25 not like you might think: 3:2 since that is
                          where you selected to before letting go of the mouse button.

                          H=GetCursor
                          ; ^!Select All
                          ^!Info ^$GetRow$:^$GetCol$