Re: [NTB] Problem opening log files with NoteTab pro

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 8 , May 27, 2003
      Hi Christophe,

      >(5) Back to NoteTab, I hear the "Question" Windows sound, which means that a
      >dialog box asking me a question was opened but this dialog box is not
      >visible. All I can see on the screen is the NoteTab application window.
      >
      >So I assume that this hidden dialog box is opened by NoteTab in order to ask
      >me if I want to reload "out.txt" but where is it hidden?

      You're correct. This problem often plagues programs like NoteTab that are
      written in Delphi. I've had similar experienced with a number of programs,
      including Norton Antivirus. Not sure if the source of the bug is in Windows
      or Delphi.

      >How can I bring this dialog box onscreen so I have a chance to answer it ?

      Try cycling through open windows using the Alt+ESC keyboard shortcut. I
      usually manage to display masked windows this way.

      Hope this helps.

      Regards,
      Eric G.V. Fookes
      Author of NoteTab, Mailbag Assistant, and Easy Imager

    • Lloyd
      Message 2 of 8 , May 27, 2003
        Hi All,

        When I installed NoteTab Pro 4.95 everything went well until it finished. A
        window then came up asking is I would like to check a couple of times a
        month for updates. Thinking this might be a good idea I responded yes. The
        program responded as if I couldn't get into a webpage. When I got tired of
        waiting I tried to close down NoteTab and found I was locked up. Finally
        Ctrl+Alt+Delete let me see NoteTab was not responding. When I tried to
        close it, it re-booted.

        When it all came up again I tried to get onto 'www.notetab.com' I couldn't
        get in. I even tried some of the .net's for notetab and couldn't get in.
        Other web pages allowed me in but just not Notetab.

        This morning I went on ok so I downloaded the wrapper again and re-loaded
        it. This time it didn't ask about checking for updates periodically.
        4.95/np (Full Version) is installed and seems to work fine. Is there anyway
        I can get this checking for updates working? Is it like F2 on Easy Imager?

        Lloyd
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 8 , May 27, 2003
          Lloyd wrote:

          >Hi All,
          >
          >When I installed NoteTab Pro 4.95 everything went well until it
          finished. A
          >window then came up asking is I would like to check a couple of times a
          >month for updates. Thinking this might be a good idea I responded yes.
          The
          >program responded as if I couldn't get into a webpage.
          >
          >When it all came up again I tried to get onto 'www.notetab.com' I
          couldn't
          >get in.
          >
          >This morning I went on ok so I downloaded the wrapper again and re-loaded
          >it. This time it didn't ask about checking for updates periodically.
          >4.95/np (Full Version) is installed and seems to work fine.
          >
          > Is there anyway I can get this checking for updates working? Is it like
          > F2 on Easy Imager?
          >
          >Lloyd

          Eric, Lloyd,

          I was away for the weekend, got back Sunday afternoon, downloaded the
          new version of NoteTab Pro and had trouble very similar to Lloyds'.

          My thought is the Update apparatus is tied to tightly to NoteTabs'
          function. In my case I eventually found out the web site wasn't
          available at the time.

          NoteTab froze in various stages, from all text and icons disappearing
          from the edit window to a totally white screen inside the outside edit
          window border.

          I was able to abort NoteTab thru the task manager without the need to
          reboot. I also reinstalled the previous version with the same symptoms,
          freeze-up and fouled up displays.

          This happened Sunday and part of Monday, website unavailable, with the
          foregoing results. Later Monday, and so far today, I just tried it,
          it's working fine.

          If you check for updates or poll for news and the website is unavailable
          NoteTab freezes. My interim solution is/was, uncheck 'Poll for News'
          and don't 'Check for Updates' unless you have several minutes to kill.

          hrs
        • Jim Hall
          Message 4 of 8 , May 27, 2003
            Eric et al,

            I just installed 4.95 over 4.86 on an XP machine and the installation was
            flawless and the News and Update feature worked perfectly.

            It must have been the timing :-)

            Regards,

            Jim

            At 09:32 AM 5/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:
            >Lloyd wrote:
            >
            > >Hi All,
            > >
            > >When I installed NoteTab Pro 4.95 everything went well until it
            >finished. A
            > >window then came up asking is I would like to check a couple of times a
            > >month for updates. Thinking this might be a good idea I responded yes.
            >The
            > >program responded as if I couldn't get into a webpage.
            > >
            > >Lloyd
            >
            >Eric, Lloyd,
            >
            >I was away for the weekend, got back Sunday afternoon, downloaded the
            >new version of NoteTab Pro and had trouble very similar to Lloyds'.
          • Timothy Crowder
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3, 2003
              I also installed it over 4.86 on a Windows XP machine. Everything
              is working fine had no problems so far.

              Tim

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 4, 2003
                Hi Lloyd,

                >This morning I went on ok so I downloaded the wrapper again and
                >re-loaded it. This time it didn't ask about checking for updates
                >periodically.

                It was remembered from your previous install.

                >4.95/np (Full Version) is installed and seems to work fine. Is
                >there anyway I can get this checking for updates working? Is it
                >like F2 on Easy Imager?

                What is it not doing? It is under Help | Poll for News & Check
                for Updates. The polling is done every two weeks if you have it
                checked to automatically check for you. The Check for Update can
                be used at anytime to check for a newer version.

                Eric went into detail to explain what it does:

                http://www.fookes.net/checknews.htm

                FWIW, I added this to the bottom instead of the top where it was. <g>
                It just explains the .net, .com, .ch, and .net again. :)

                >When it all came up again I tried to get onto 'www.notetab.com' I
                >couldn't get in. I even tried some of the .net's for notetab and
                >couldn't get in. Other web pages allowed me in but just not
                >Notetab.

                notetab.com & notetab.ch are NoteTab sites as in Fookes Software.
                fookes.net is Fookes Software

                notetab.net is my NoteTabbers Assistant site.

                Happy Tab'n,

              • Lloyd
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 4, 2003
                  Hi Jody,

                  There is no doubt Eric needs to write a program that updates this computer
                  above my shoulders. I read all that and for some reason thought it would
                  happen when I pressed F2. It didn't say that it is just what I understood.

                  It is working fine. No problem at all.

                  I received the hard copy of Easy Imager and NoteTab Pro.

                  Thank you,

                  Lloyd

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 4, 2003
                    Hi Lloyd,

                    NoteTab does not have the function key (F2) shortcut like EzImager
                    does. That might be what is messing you up.