Creating multiple webpages with ^!Keyboard clip

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 7 , May 8, 2003
      This is fun. I have been using NoteTab for about a year doing HTML
      programming, and today dicovered the ^!Keyboard command.

      What I wanted (This morning) and now have is a method to highlight a
      portion of text, execute a clip, and have a fullly formed topic
      specific webpage from a template. My CUT-NEW-PASTE-Wordwrap-Select all
      then executing the template I had created was wearing my fingers out
      and hypnotizing me.

      I am recreating a website and creating individual web pages for each
      of over 7,000 obituaries and Biographies on the site.

      What took about a minute per page now takes about 20 seconds.

      The ^!Keyboard pattern I am using is

      ^!Keyboard CTRL+X CTRL+N CTRL+W

      followed by the HTML for the template, of course where want the text
      planted is set by placing the "^&" in the template in the proper
      place.

      Action is Hignlight text, execute Clip (The Clip Cuts, opens a new
      document, pastes the template and the highlighted text , Then turns
      on word wrap.)

      The webpage is ready for saving, and FTP to the server in about ten
      seconds.

      This method promises to be a LARGE timesaver in the future, and
      assures that the templated HTML is universal (for global changes)
      AND THE CREATION PROCESS TIME IS CUT BY AT LEAST HALF.

      (It is a different way of doing CSS type websites, although it uses
      MORE server space.)

      --

      Jeffery Scism, IBSSG

      Links to my Homepages: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scismfam/

      Use the link below to join the S250 DNA project and order your DNA
      test.
      http://www.familytreedna.com/surname_join.asp?code=L10857

      "These cowards have no morals. They have no shame about lying"
      Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf AKA "Baghdad Bob"
    • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
      Message 2 of 7 , May 8, 2003
        To All.

        Everyone, L O O K O U T ... QUICK, D U C K!

        Jody is about to ADMONISH us posters once again after her
        reads the post in the "Subject:" line.

        Now, please understand, you received this message in pure
        jest and jolly. Do not shoot arrows at me.

        :-) :-) :-)

        Regards,
        Christopher J. Spilker
        mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
      • Julie
        Message 3 of 7 , May 8, 2003
          Now Christopher. You've been around long enough to know Jody is a him (I
          think that was an accidental "r" on the "he" below <G>). I thought I'd
          make that clear for anyone that might not have realized that.

          And, since I'm here, here's the obligatory public service announcement...

          Any clip related questions should be directed to the clips list

          To subscribe you need to send an email to
          Ntb-Clips-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          Here are some other helpful addresses for subscription management...

          Send mail to the list: Ntb-Clips@yahoogroups.com
          Switch to digest: Ntb-Clips-digest@yahoogroups.com
          Swich to Nomail: Ntb-Clips-nomail@yahoogroups.com
          Switch to normal mail: Ntb-Clips-normal@yahoogroups.com
          Subscribe: Ntb-Clips-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          Julie,
          part time moderator,
          who really is a she <G>

          At 2035 05/08/2003 -0400, you wrote:
          >To All.
          >
          > Everyone, L O O K O U T ... QUICK, D U C K!
          >
          > Jody is about to ADMONISH us posters once again after her
          >reads the post in the "Subject:" line.
          >
          > Now, please understand, you received this message in pure
          >jest and jolly. Do not shoot arrows at me.
          >
          > :-) :-) :-)
          >
          >Regards,
          >Christopher J. Spilker
          >mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
        • Hunsbergers
          Message 4 of 7 , May 8, 2003
            Thanks for the news about the ^!Keyboard command, ... I was not aware of it,
            and will certainly find that useful.

            What is interesting is that I was doing all that you outlined below,
            successfully within the Clip
            Language, using the ^!Toolbar <command> ... For example

            ^!Toolbar CUT
            ^!Toolbar PASTE NEW
            etc..

            It looks like the ^!Keyboard command is all that ^!Toolbar offers, plus the
            ability to
            enter anything ELSE (i.e. stuff NOT available from the normal Menus), where
            ^!Toolbar
            would have worked.

            Great!

            By the way, I have been using NoteTab Lite, and writing Clip libraries for
            quite some time, but only
            recently signed up for the various mail lists.

            Although I always feel that my clip libraries are 'rough' and 'not ready for
            prime time'... I have been
            very successful in getting them to do what I want, and when that happens, I
            move on to something
            else... (umm... that means that they are never as 'clean' as I want)...

            Some of my best 'moments' in clip writing include libraries like these...

            -An IDE for the plethora of C, C++, languages, where you can reconfigure the
            build commands as needed...
            -An IDE, and editor helper for the MusixTex/PMX/M-Tex Music Score Tools,
            based on Tex.
            -A clip catcher (clipboard watcher) that formats document/paragraph text
            excerpts in XML for import into Microsoft Access (used for building
            requirements traceability/audit databases.)
            -A library of 'steps' to reformat text dumps of Numbered Paragraph
            documents from Word into highly-structured --XML for display on an
            Intranet... (Notetab is only part of the toolware, but it gets the job
            done...
            -Various URL reformatters, cleaners, downloaders, etc. based on many good
            examples in the Libraries already.

            The power of the Clip Language (you all know) is that you CAN easily do just
            what you want. It is surprising that there is so much that is useful and
            reusable in the libraries in the Web collection, but that indicates that the
            Clip Language is truly a sound and vital part of the tool.

            I go on like this because (I was just astounded) the other day talking to a
            friend. I learned (for the first time), that he was a NoteTab user, and he
            was excited about NoteTab. However, he had NEVER used a clip, had not
            discovered the Clip Libraries, and was simply speechless to learn that I
            preferred NoteTab for any number of tasks that he had frequently resorted to
            various tools to complete.

            (Okay, I just learned about ^!Keyboard too, so we are Even :-))

            Looking forward to contributing (something !) in the future.

            Joel Hunsberger

            > This is fun. I have been using NoteTab for about a year doing HTML
            > programming, and today dicovered the ^!Keyboard command.
            >
            > What I wanted (This morning) and now have is a method to highlight a
            > portion of text, execute a clip, and have a fullly formed topic
            > specific webpage from a template. My CUT-NEW-PASTE-Wordwrap-Select all
            > then executing the template I had created was wearing my fingers out
            > and hypnotizing me.
            >
            > I am recreating a website and creating individual web pages for each
            > of over 7,000 obituaries and Biographies on the site.
            >
            > What took about a minute per page now takes about 20 seconds.
            >
            > The ^!Keyboard pattern I am using is
            >
            > ^!Keyboard CTRL+X CTRL+N CTRL+W
            >
            > followed by the HTML for the template, of course where want the text
            > planted is set by placing the "^&" in the template in the proper
            > place.
            >
            > Action is Hignlight text, execute Clip (The Clip Cuts, opens a new
            > document, pastes the template and the highlighted text , Then turns
            > on word wrap.)
            >
            > The webpage is ready for saving, and FTP to the server in about ten
            > seconds.
            >
            > This method promises to be a LARGE timesaver in the future, and
            > assures that the templated HTML is universal (for global changes)
            > AND THE CREATION PROCESS TIME IS CUT BY AT LEAST HALF.
            >
            > (It is a different way of doing CSS type websites, although it uses
            > MORE server space.)
            >

            > --
            >

            > Jeffery Scism, IBSSG
            >
            > Links to my Homepages: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scismfam/
            >
            > Use the link below to join the S250 DNA project and order your DNA
            > test.
            > http://www.familytreedna.com/surname_join.asp?code=L10857
            >
            > "These cowards have no morals. They have no shame about lying"
            > Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf AKA "Baghdad Bob"

          • Lloyd
            Message 5 of 7 , May 9, 2003
              Hi Christopher,

              I suspect one of the reasons you don't use the name Chris is because people
              ASSUME that is a girls name Just like the name Jody. He will probably tell
              me this should be on the NTO list but I am not sure you are on that list
              also. Does that make your "jest and jolly" backfire a little?

              Lloyd
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              >To All.
              >
              > Everyone, L O O K O U T ... QUICK, D U C K!
              >
              > Jody is about to ADMONISH us posters once again after her
              >reads the post in the "Subject:" line.
              >
              > Now, please understand, you received this message in pure
              >jest and jolly. Do not shoot arrows at me.
              >
              > :-) :-) :-)
              >
              >Regards,
              >Christopher J. Spilker
            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 7 , May 9, 2003
                Hi Jeff,

                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <scismgenie@a...> wrote:
                > This is fun. I have been using NoteTab for about a year doing HTML
                > programming, and today dicovered the ^!Keyboard command.

                > ^!Keyboard CTRL+X CTRL+N CTRL+W

                Its great that you are getting results and saving time using the ^!
                Keyboard command and I won't knock it. But starting with version 4.9
                there is a ^!Menu command in the clip language that permits access to
                every feature in Notetab's top menu. Examples:

                ^!Menu Edit/Cut
                ^!Menu Edit/Paste New
                ^!Menu Document/Word Wrap

                There's often more than one way to things, and for all of the above
                there are also ^!Toolbar equivalents. But in the case of word wrap,
                both are simple toggles. To affirmatively set word wrap on, there is:

                ^!SetWordWrap On

                Though the ^!Keyboard command works for native Notetab processing, it
                can be prone to timing issues. I use it to control other programs
                besides Notetab via clips, usually with plenty of ^!Delay commands
                peppered in. For native Notetab processing, timing issues are
                generally avoided by using the "real" commands.

                > I am recreating a website and creating individual web pages for each
                > of over 7,000 obituaries and Biographies on the site.

                If you're getting all the info from one existing page, chances are
                you could enhance your clip to split out the entire original file
                automatically, saving each new page as it goes.

                I would encourage you to join the clips list, but do it here:
                so your Yahoo ID will be tied in (you can still use your regular
                email address, or even elect digest or no mail). A Yahoo ID must be
                associated with a group subscription to be able to access posted
                group files.

                From the clips files area

                you can download my Clipcode syntax clip ClipcodeSyntax_v4.02.zip.
                With it, you can do things like type in

                wrap

                run the clip and have it present all clip commands and functions that
                include it. You pick one, e.g., ^!SetWordWrap, and then it prompts
                (lets you pick) "On" or "Off". Then the fully formed clip command is
                in your clip without error. It also incorporates Wayne
                VanWeerthuizen's Menu clip, so when you search

                menu

                it allows you to navigate Notetab's menu in order to get to the
                desired ^!Menu command.

                Its a friendly bunch on the Clips list, and if you need any help just
                ask.

                Regards,
                Sheri
              • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker