printing problem

  • active_reader
    Message 1 of 5 , May 7, 2003
      I have "NoteTabPro 4.92/np full version". And have been a happy user
      for several years.
      My computer is a Dell with 768MB of memory, and I run Windows ME
      (ugh) fully updated with all the service updates.

      For a little while (not sure when it started, but only with my
      current version) I occasionnaly get a printer problem:

      If I cut a section or page from a webpage, and paste it to NTab, it
      looks fine, and I can read the entire thing. If I print it, however,
      there are sometimes some lines that do not print. It looks like they
      have just run off the right side of the page, although they only
      extend a small amount past the margin of the other lines. Usually
      several lines of the original NT file are missing in the printout. A
      few lines later, the text is fine.

      TOnight I had this problem, and decided to Select ALL from the NT
      screen and paste it into MS Word to see what happens there. Lo and
      behold, the document is fine!!! It prints all the text. So it
      appears that my problem is in the transition from NT to the printer..
      I use an HP 1200se laser printer with a driver from HP installed long
      enough ago that it worked fine (or so I remember!).

      Any suggestions?

      Thanks...

      Bill
      Message 2 of 5 , May 12, 2003
        Hi Bill,

        We've seen this a few time over the past few years and have never
        been able to replicate the problem and do not know what it
        happens other than an incompatibility issue perhaps or somewhere
        deep in the Delphi code (that Eric uses to build NoteTab with).

        You might try out a freeware printing utility that actually adds
        quite a few more printing options and preferred by many of our
        users over the regular windows print dialog used by NoteTab. It
        will bypass any of the Delphi code that may have the problem. It
        has worked for the few that had the problem like you are
        experiencing.

        You can download the Library that Eric Fookes made which has a link
        to the small TxtPrint utility (both links are below) in it which
        will give you print preview, page n of pages n and allow you to
        print selections of text instead of the whole document. It has a
        number of other small nice to have features too.

        You need to have a compression utility to unzip the zip files. Ask
        me if you do not know what that is. Install TxtPrint10, the
        software, wherever you would like. Install the .clb file Eric made
        to the NoteTab Libraries folder. It will show up on the Libraries
        Bar at the bottom of NoteTab. Click on it to activate the Library.

        Clipbook Library - goes in Libraries folder:
        http://www.notetab.com/clipbooks/txtprint.zip
        TxtPrint10 - Install wherever you want:
        http://www.notetab.com/ftp/txtprinten10.zip

        You can put the printing Clip on your default Clipbar if you
        wish. For more information about the Clipbar in registered
        versions of NoteTab and some basic Clip information please read
        the following web page. http://www.notetab.net/html/clipbar.htm.

        Also, you can go into Windows Explorer (or My Computer) and right
        click over TxtPrint.clb and then check Properties. Click on Hidden
        and that will hide the Library off the Libraries Bar. You can still
        access it from the Clipbook's combo box, the small upper window
        which is above the Clip items in all Libraries. Please see Help |
        NoteTab's Glossary for terms you might be unfamiliar with.

        >If I cut a section or page from a webpage, and paste it to NTab,
        >it looks fine, and I can read the entire thing. If I print it,
        >however, there are sometimes some lines that do not print. It
        >looks like they have just run off the right side of the page,
        >although they only extend a small amount past the margin of the
        >other lines. Usually several lines of the original NT file are
        >missing in the printout. A few lines later, the text is fine.

        Happy Tab'n,

      • Edward Iglesias
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 8, 2005
          Greetings All,

          I am experiencing a problem printing out a document.
          The third paragraph seems to be collapsing into one
          line. I was able to make it print correctly by simply
          inserting an extra return in the center of the
          paragraph. Is there a simple solution to this?

          Edward Iglesias

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 8, 2005
            Edward Iglesias wrote:
            > Greetings All,
            >
            > I am experiencing a problem printing out a document.
            > The third paragraph seems to be collapsing into one
            > line. I was able to make it print correctly by simply
            > inserting an extra return in the center of the
            > paragraph. Is there a simple solution to this?
            >
            > Edward Iglesias

            Edward,

            Are you using the built-in 'Print' function or the 3rd party utility
            Txtprint? It can be downloaded from "http://www.notetab.com/download.php".

            Sounds as if you're not using Txtprint, I use it frequently and never
            have problems. I believe you'll have more success with print jobs using it.

            If you download Txtprint be sure to click the link on the same line for
            the Clipbook library written for use with it.

            To make Txtprint most accessible you'll have to add icons for each clip
            to a Personal Toolbar.

            ºvº
            05.09.09
            hrs > hsavage@...
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 18, 2005
              Jae wrote:
              > i'm having this same issue with text i CREATE in notetab. The only
              > change i made was now i use a different printer...a canon pixima,
              > rather than am old lexmark. Now all my text dissapears on printing--
              > runs off the side of the page as others have said.
              >
              > What's so difficult about just correcting the print glitch? why would
              > i purchase this program when such a simple thing can't be fixed? I
              > love this program otherwise, but lately, this problem has made me
              > just go back to notepad.
              > this is not a small matter...why should i have to download a 3rd
              > party print program?

              Jae,

              I don't know if you intentionally replied to my email address and not
              the 'notetab' list, but that's what you did so I'll try to respond.

              I've been using NoteTab for quite a while and have, in fact, never used
              the built-in print routine, other than once or twice for test purposes,
              as now. The reason being the self-admitted shortcomings of the built-in
              routine.

              I have always used Txtprint and don't feel I've sacrificed anything by
              downloading a 3rd party print utility.

              Apparently you don't use clips much or you wouldn't be willing to
              continue using NotePad. The inconvenience of switching between the 2
              editors is much greater than the inconvenience of downloading Txtprint.

              We would all like to see requested improvements in NoteTab and
              eventually, I think, we will. In the meantime NoteTab offers so much
              more in the way of text manipulation and with template and outline
              functionality along with html page building no other single text editor
              is very close, at least, none I've downloaded and tried to use.

              Thus far, this has been a personal view, now back to the printing problem.

              I know nothing of the 'Canon Pixima' you reference but I have used
              Canon, Lexmark, Epson and Hewlett-Packard models, all dot-matrix except
              the Lexmark and it is a laser and all did a great job of printing, with
              the 3rd party utility.

              I did try a quick test with the built-in routine with a temporary
              document with some very long lines. Since I am not very familiar with
              the print routine I looked at all the tabs in the dialog window.

              Under the 2nd tab, 'Margins' the first setting is type of measurement,
              inches, centimeters and pixels, the second place you can change a
              setting is directly to the right of that and it is 'Wordwrap, check or
              no-check'.

              On my 'HP all-in-one' printing a page with Wordwrap unchecked gave me
              the result you describe, long lines truncated at the right margin. With
              Wordwrap checked it printed normally. You might check that setting and
              give it another try, it's possible your setting might be unchecked.

              If you reply, you should reply to the NoteTab group address, many more
              users will see it and may be able to offer more experienced suggestions
              than I.

              ºvº
              05.09.18
              hrs > hsavage@...