Re: [NTB] Note Tab Lite and Perl script

  • Peter Richards
    Message 1 of 8 , May 4, 2003
      Hi Alec,

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess" <burale@a...> wrote:

      > I hadn't tried Perl before I upgraded to Pro so its just possible it
      won't
      > work in Lite though I doubt it.

      Have now been able to get it to work, thanks. Most of my problems were
      trying to drive a new product.

      > If that's not it, maybe put "^!Setdebug ON" at the top and step
      through one
      > line at time ...

      Okay, thanks for the tip

      > Just curious ... did you get the NumLines script to run successfully
      before
      > you modified the example?

      Because I'm no expert driver at present, and the overall "focus" and
      scope of libraries and clipbooks and windows is confusing me at
      present, I did try the Numlines, opened and closed a few different
      'views' and probably more by chance than anything else, it seems to
      work okay. The library SampleCode.clb is now showing with line
      numbers. But I can't remember how I did it, sorry !! :)

      Peter
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 8 , May 5, 2003
        Hi Peter,

        At 05:11 AM 5/5/03 -0000, you wrote:
        >Hi Alec,
        >
        >Because I'm no expert driver at present, and the overall "focus" and
        >scope of libraries and clipbooks and windows is confusing me at
        >present, I did try the Numlines, opened and closed a few different
        >'views' and probably more by chance than anything else, it seems to
        >work okay. The library SampleCode.clb is now showing with line
        >numbers. But I can't remember how I did it, sorry !! :)
        >
        >Peter

        Go to the menu bar and select View/Line Numbers. Actually, if this works,
        then all of your open documents show line numbers in the gutter area.

        Regards,

        Larry
        larryt@...
      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 8 , May 5, 2003
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Larry Thomas <larryt@c...> wrote:

          > Go to the menu bar and select View/Line Numbers. Actually, if this
          > works, then all of your open documents show line numbers in the
          > gutter area.

          Hi Larry,

          That's a Pro-only feature. Light is great and does all the basics,
          but Pro has many nice improvements. Another is the abiltity to
          display non-printing characters.

          Some differences between Light/Standard and Pro stem from or are
          compounded by the use of different "input controls". Light and
          Standard both use Microsoft's Riched32.dll while Pro uses a modified
          version of the TurboPower's Orpheus (per the help file). For example,
          the Orpheus control cannot display variable-width fonts.

          The Numlines Perl script in the SampleCode library actually alters
          the document by inserting line numbers. You must undo or reload to
          remove them.

          Perl scripts should work in Light/Standard and Pro.

          Regards,
          Sheri
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 8 , May 5, 2003
            Larry, Peter:

            The num-lines I was speaking of is the Perl script provided in the samples.
            It actually inserts numbers in the text as opposed to the "View/Line
            numbers" which puts them in the gutter as you said.

            I was asking Peter if he'd got it working just as step he might want to try
            towards getting his own Perl scripts.

            btw Peter: - you might want to check out PerlReplDialog.zip on the Notetab
            clips list posted by Sheri on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/files/

            " Clips and scripts for processing Perl Regexp Search and Replace functions
            on an open document in Notetab. Dialog uses Perl/Tk. "

            if you haven't already.

            Regards ... Alec

            >> Because I'm no expert driver at present, and the overall
            >> "focus" and
            >> scope of libraries and clipbooks and windows is
            >> confusing me at
            >> present, I did try the Numlines, opened and closed a few
            >> different 'views' and probably more by chance than
            >> anything else, it seems to
            >> work okay. The library SampleCode.clb is now showing
            >> with line
            >> numbers. But I can't remember how I did it, sorry !! :)
            >>
            >> Peter
            >
            > Go to the menu bar and select View/Line Numbers.
            > Actually, if this works,
            > then all of your open documents show line numbers in the
            > gutter area.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Larry
            > larryt@...

          • Peter Richards
            Message 5 of 8 , May 5, 2003
              Hi Alec,

              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess" <burale@a...> wrote:
              > The num-lines I was speaking of is the Perl script provided in the
              samples.
              > It actually inserts numbers in the text as opposed to the "View/Line
              > numbers" which puts them in the gutter as you said.
              >
              > I was asking Peter if he'd got it working just as step he might want
              to try
              > towards getting his own Perl scripts.

              I did get it working, but can't remember how I did it. I think it was
              more of a fluke, than anything else <g>

              > btw Peter: - you might want to check out PerlReplDialog.zip on the
              Notetab
              > clips list posted by Sheri on
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/files/

              Thanks, I will check that out. Thanks to Larry and Sheri for their
              replies. BTW, I'm also subscribed to the "ntb-clips" list, and get the
              daily digest, but for _this_ list (notetab) haven't got a daily digets
              since Saturday. I checked my group settings and it's set okay. Anyone
              else notice this ??

              Thanks,

              Peter
              Message 6 of 8 , May 7, 2003
                Hi All,

                Can you please stop sending the posts on this thread to the
                NoteTab Basic list and keep them coming on the Clips list?
                Thanks! They could have been posted to the Scripts list,
                but since they are already going to the Clips list, I'd leave
                them there. TIA

                My Internet connection has been down for awhile, so no telling
                when this will actually be posted.

                Happy Clip'n!

                http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm

                Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
              • Peter Richards
                Message 7 of 8 , May 8, 2003
                  Jody,

                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jody <av1611@e...> wrote:
                  > Can you please stop sending the posts on this thread to the
                  > NoteTab Basic list and keep them coming on the Clips list?

                  There have been no posts since mine on Tuesday; the issue is resolved.
                  Whether it be 'yahoo groups', web discussion forums, or newsgroups
                  (usenet), I find that, for a "new comer to a product", people have
                  quickly forgotten that they were once new comers and were facing the
                  question "where do I post this question". This is especially true of
                  moderators, who see the opportunity to flex their muscles.

                  At the time of posting, I was using NoteTab Lite, so I posted in the
                  notetab list, I had no idea the issue at hand was anything to do with
                  clips or scripts. Please be a little bit more considerate and patient
                  with ignornant people like me !! :)

                  I'm still evaluating the product of course.

                  Thanks,

                  Peter