Re: [NTB] Note Tab Lite and Perl script

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 8 , May 3, 2003
      Peter:

      It "looks" right.
      I hadn't tried Perl before I upgraded to Pro so its just possible it won't
      work in Lite though I doubt it.

      It looks to me as though you are trying to run a script called "Process" not
      "Process-test".

      If that's not it, maybe put "^!Setdebug ON" at the top and step through one
      line at time ...

      Just curious ... did you get the NumLines script to run successfully before
      you modified the example?

      Regards ... Alec

      Message 2 of 8 , May 4, 2003
        Hi Alec,

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess" <burale@a...> wrote:

        > I hadn't tried Perl before I upgraded to Pro so its just possible it
        won't
        > work in Lite though I doubt it.

        Have now been able to get it to work, thanks. Most of my problems were
        trying to drive a new product.

        > If that's not it, maybe put "^!Setdebug ON" at the top and step
        through one
        > line at time ...

        Okay, thanks for the tip

        > Just curious ... did you get the NumLines script to run successfully
        before
        > you modified the example?

        Because I'm no expert driver at present, and the overall "focus" and
        scope of libraries and clipbooks and windows is confusing me at
        present, I did try the Numlines, opened and closed a few different
        'views' and probably more by chance than anything else, it seems to
        work okay. The library SampleCode.clb is now showing with line
        numbers. But I can't remember how I did it, sorry !! :)

        Peter
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 8 , May 5, 2003
          Hi Peter,

          At 05:11 AM 5/5/03 -0000, you wrote:
          >Hi Alec,
          >
          >Because I'm no expert driver at present, and the overall "focus" and
          >scope of libraries and clipbooks and windows is confusing me at
          >present, I did try the Numlines, opened and closed a few different
          >'views' and probably more by chance than anything else, it seems to
          >work okay. The library SampleCode.clb is now showing with line
          >numbers. But I can't remember how I did it, sorry !! :)
          >
          >Peter

          Go to the menu bar and select View/Line Numbers. Actually, if this works,
          then all of your open documents show line numbers in the gutter area.

          Regards,

          Larry
          larryt@...
        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 8 , May 5, 2003
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Larry Thomas <larryt@c...> wrote:

            > Go to the menu bar and select View/Line Numbers. Actually, if this
            > works, then all of your open documents show line numbers in the
            > gutter area.

            Hi Larry,

            That's a Pro-only feature. Light is great and does all the basics,
            but Pro has many nice improvements. Another is the abiltity to
            display non-printing characters.

            Some differences between Light/Standard and Pro stem from or are
            compounded by the use of different "input controls". Light and
            Standard both use Microsoft's Riched32.dll while Pro uses a modified
            version of the TurboPower's Orpheus (per the help file). For example,
            the Orpheus control cannot display variable-width fonts.

            The Numlines Perl script in the SampleCode library actually alters
            the document by inserting line numbers. You must undo or reload to
            remove them.

            Perl scripts should work in Light/Standard and Pro.

            Regards,
            Sheri
          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 8 , May 5, 2003
              Larry, Peter:

              The num-lines I was speaking of is the Perl script provided in the samples.
              It actually inserts numbers in the text as opposed to the "View/Line
              numbers" which puts them in the gutter as you said.

              I was asking Peter if he'd got it working just as step he might want to try
              towards getting his own Perl scripts.

              btw Peter: - you might want to check out PerlReplDialog.zip on the Notetab
              clips list posted by Sheri on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/files/

              " Clips and scripts for processing Perl Regexp Search and Replace functions
              on an open document in Notetab. Dialog uses Perl/Tk. "

              if you haven't already.

              Regards ... Alec

              >> Because I'm no expert driver at present, and the overall
              >> "focus" and
              >> scope of libraries and clipbooks and windows is
              >> confusing me at
              >> present, I did try the Numlines, opened and closed a few
              >> different 'views' and probably more by chance than
              >> anything else, it seems to
              >> work okay. The library SampleCode.clb is now showing
              >> with line
              >> numbers. But I can't remember how I did it, sorry !! :)
              >>
              >> Peter
              >
              > Go to the menu bar and select View/Line Numbers.
              > Actually, if this works,
              > then all of your open documents show line numbers in the
              > gutter area.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Larry
              > larryt@...

            • Peter Richards
              Message 6 of 8 , May 5, 2003
                Hi Alec,

                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess" <burale@a...> wrote:
                > The num-lines I was speaking of is the Perl script provided in the
                samples.
                > It actually inserts numbers in the text as opposed to the "View/Line
                > numbers" which puts them in the gutter as you said.
                >
                > I was asking Peter if he'd got it working just as step he might want
                to try
                > towards getting his own Perl scripts.

                I did get it working, but can't remember how I did it. I think it was
                more of a fluke, than anything else <g>

                > btw Peter: - you might want to check out PerlReplDialog.zip on the
                Notetab
                > clips list posted by Sheri on
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/files/

                Thanks, I will check that out. Thanks to Larry and Sheri for their
                replies. BTW, I'm also subscribed to the "ntb-clips" list, and get the
                daily digest, but for _this_ list (notetab) haven't got a daily digets
                since Saturday. I checked my group settings and it's set okay. Anyone
                else notice this ??

                Thanks,

                Peter
                Message 7 of 8 , May 7, 2003
                  Hi All,

                  Can you please stop sending the posts on this thread to the
                  NoteTab Basic list and keep them coming on the Clips list?
                  Thanks! They could have been posted to the Scripts list,
                  but since they are already going to the Clips list, I'd leave
                  them there. TIA

                  My Internet connection has been down for awhile, so no telling
                  when this will actually be posted.

                  Happy Clip'n!

                  http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm

                  Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                • Peter Richards
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 8, 2003
                    Jody,

                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jody <av1611@e...> wrote:
                    > Can you please stop sending the posts on this thread to the
                    > NoteTab Basic list and keep them coming on the Clips list?

                    There have been no posts since mine on Tuesday; the issue is resolved.
                    Whether it be 'yahoo groups', web discussion forums, or newsgroups
                    (usenet), I find that, for a "new comer to a product", people have
                    quickly forgotten that they were once new comers and were facing the
                    question "where do I post this question". This is especially true of
                    moderators, who see the opportunity to flex their muscles.

                    At the time of posting, I was using NoteTab Lite, so I posted in the
                    notetab list, I had no idea the issue at hand was anything to do with
                    clips or scripts. Please be a little bit more considerate and patient
                    with ignornant people like me !! :)

                    I'm still evaluating the product of course.

                    Thanks,

                    Peter