Associated file types editor

  • joljol56
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6 4:41 PM
      Hello,

      Using NoteTabPro on Win98SE I may have messed up my associated file
      types in the Registry.

      Under View | Optons | Associations I had 2 file types: htm and html.
      Another program wanted to print the contents of an html file it had
      put in TEMP. Trying to print called NoteTabPro which would then print
      the entire html code of the file, instead of the text content.

      Trying to stop that I deleted the htm and html file associations
      through the editor provided in View | Options | Associations. Sure
      enough NoteTabPro was then NOT called when that other program tried
      to print - nothing happened except the error message "Procedure not
      defined for this file type", or some such.

      Now trying to create a file type through Windows procedures I get the
      error message that a file type for html has already been defined as
      htmlfile. Only thing is htmlfile is NOT in the file list, so I can't
      delete it to recreate a html file type WITH Print by IE defined.

      What has IE to do with this discussion group? Well - did NoteTabPro
      take over the html file type association without properly setting the
      Registry so I can manually remove htmlfile ??

      NoteTabPro continues to function even though the file types htm and
      html are no longer shown as associated.

      Please advise,

      Joe O'Laughlin
    • joljol56
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 9 6:40 PM
        Using a 3rd party tool suggested by members of this list I was able
        to find that htmlfile was a synthesized filetype that Windows98SE
        would not report in the list of filetypes. Therefore I could only
        delete it with the 3rd party tool.

        Then I created through Windows 2 new filetypes HTML doc and HTM doc
        with respective associations and permissable functions like Open and
        Print. Now at least all .htm-ish files open in IE.

        What ghost flitted through my machine to create "htmlfile" in the
        first place - presumably substituting that for the previous
        straightforward filetypes that I have now recreated ?

        All may be well..