Re: [NTB] Will NoteTab open these files?

  • Scott Fordin
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4 5:02 AM
      Dianne,

      A couple of suggestions:

      1. Open it in a hex editor or hex-enabled editor like
      UltraEdit, and then copy and paste the text.

      2. Use the "strings" command on a Linux or UNIX box, or
      in a cygwin command shell under Windows. You can get
      cygwin from http://www.cygwin.com/. It's free, and
      it's a really useful thing to have in any case. The
      strings command can extract text strings from just
      about anything, even binary program files. (It's
      really interesting to see some of the embedded
      comments left behind by the programmers of some of
      your favorite apps.)

      To use the strings command in this case, you probably
      want to do something like:

      strings <filename> > <outputfilename>.txt

      For example:

      strings coolpoem.sharp > coolpoem.txt

      The strings command has numerous options, some of
      which you may want to use depending on what you get
      from your source format.

      Hope this helps.

      Scott