Will NoteTab open these files?

  • Dianne Reuby
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2003
      A fellow member of the writers tools mailing list has asked the following:

      My friend has two word processors (BROTHER LW-810C & SHARP FW-500
      Fontwriter) and has written loads of poems and plays on them, however
      she would like to get the text onto PC. Do you know where I could
      find utilities to extract just the basic text from her files which
      are stored on standard diskettes? The BROTHER diskette can be read on
      a PC with notepad, and the text seen within lots of other characters.
      I haven't got a diskette from the SHARP word processor so I can't
      tell about that one at the moment.

      I've suggested they try NT, and I've read the help files, but as I know
      nothing about word processing hardware, and what type of files and coding
      (ASCII, EBCDIC, etc) they use, I don't really know if it will work.

      Can anyone answer this for us?
      TIA,

      Dianne Reuby<><
      http://firstwebbuilder.co.uk
      http://freesitebuilder.co.uk
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2003
        Hi Dianne,

        > My friend has two word processors (BROTHER LW-810C & SHARP FW-500
        > Fontwriter) and has written loads of poems and plays on them, however
        > she would like to get the text onto PC. Do you know where I could
        > find utilities to extract just the basic text from her files which
        > are stored on standard diskettes? The BROTHER diskette can be read on
        > a PC with notepad, and the text seen within lots of other characters.
        > I haven't got a diskette from the SHARP word processor so I can't
        > tell about that one at the moment.

        If the Brother is the same model that my 85 yr old father has, then it has
        two "export as ASCII" options. One is "Plain Text" the other is "Text with
        Formatting". (I may have mis-remembered the precise terminology.) It also
        saves text in its native format, the one that you have seen.

        Your best bet is to get your friend to export all files as plain text. This
        places a "return" at the end of every paragraph and makes it pretty easy to
        import it into any PC-based text editor or word processor from where they
        can be edited. The "with formatting" version inserts a "return" at the end
        of every line, which tends to make life a little more difficult - NoteTab
        has the tools to solve that one! :-).

        The worst case is Brother native format. I haven't examined the codes in my
        fathers files in detail, but from recollection it was all 7-bit ASCII and
        you got bunches of codes at the end of every line of text. this would be
        trickier to extract on a PC, but may be possible with the use of some
        complex "regular expressions". It would probably be best to submit a small
        sample of ten lines or so, so the regular expression experts here, could
        suggest a "formula" to use.

        Greg