override spelling dictionary?

  • Pete Hoyle
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 16, 2003
      Hi -- After years of using NoteTab Lite, I'm a new user of NoteTab Pro. Thus I'm using the Spelling Checker for the first time. Unfortunately, when I write "see th cat", it seems to think that "th" is a proper English word. Is there any way to tell the spell checker to treat "th" as a misspelled word?

      The standard main dictionary seems responsible for this behavior. As a related question, if I ever add a wrong word to a user dictionary, is there any way to remove that entry?

      Thanks...

      --
      Pete Hoyle - via ACM forwarding - hoylesp@...
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 17, 2003
        Hi Pete,

        >Hi -- After years of using NoteTab Lite, I'm a new user of
        >NoteTab Pro. Thus I'm using the Spelling Checker for the first
        >time. Unfortunately, when I write "see th cat", it seems to think
        >that "th" is a proper English word. Is there any way to tell the
        >spell checker to treat "th" as a misspelled word?

        I can only confirm that the "th" is not detected when the spell-
        checker is run. I thought maybe I was having it check HTML code,
        but I still have it checked.

        >The standard main dictionary seems responsible for this behavior.
        >As a related question, if I ever add a wrong word to a user
        >dictionary, is there any way to remove that entry?

        Yes, from the Default.udt file. Mine is in the Dictionaries
        folder. I also have a Library called Edit.udt at my NoteTab site.
        It may be a Clip or Library, I forget which and on my way to bed.
        It makes editing the udt file a lot easier that doing it all
        manually. www.notetab.net

        Happy Tab'n,

      • loro
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 17, 2003
          Jody wrote:
          >I can only confirm that the "th" is not detected when the spell-
          >checker is run. I thought maybe I was having it check HTML code,
          >but I still have it checked.

          I think the explanation simply is this:
          Mon Tues Wed Th Fri Sat Sun

          Funny thing is that Eudora's checker allows all the weekday abbreviations
          except "Th". It wants "Thu".
          It seems like they have also taught the NTB spell checker parts of the
          periodic system but far from all. Come to think of, "Th" could also stand
          for Thorium. :-)

          Lotta
        • Pete Turner
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 17, 2003
            Lotta wrote:

            > I think the explanation simply is this:
            > Mon Tues Wed Th Fri Sat Sun

            More likely th as in 4th, 5th, etc.

            Does it also allow st and nd as in 1st and 2nd? I can't check it
            myself, because I only use NoteTab Light :)

            Pete
          • Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 17, 2003
              Hi Jody and Lotta,

              Incredibly, "kat" is also acceptable to the NTP spell checker. I searched
              default.udt and "kat" is not in it.

              Some folks may use "th" as an abbreviation for Thursday, but it is probably
              more often the result of an unintended weak finger on the "e" key. BTW, "th"
              is flagged as an error by MSOE in this message.

              Ray Shapp
              NTP v4.91
            • Pete Hoyle
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 17, 2003
                At 08:43 PM 3/17/2003 +0100, Lotta wrote:
                >Jody wrote:
                >>I can only confirm that the "th" is not detected when the spell-
                >>checker is run. I thought maybe I was having it check HTML code,
                >>but I still have it checked.
                >
                >I think the explanation simply is this:
                >Mon Tues Wed Th Fri Sat Sun
                >
                >..... Come to think of, "Th" could also stand
                >for Thorium. :-)

                I was hoping there was an override file or option in a user dictionary that would allow me to say that if I use a particular word that would otherwise pass as correct, I still want it flagged. Personally, I'd rather have Th for thorium in a specialized optional dictionary, but a general override capability would be most useful.

                I guess it's not there.

                --
                Pete Hoyle - via ACM forwarding - hoylesp@...