notetab add/remove puzzle

  • paul
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 11, 2003
      hi all,

      i'm in the process of spring cleaning my c drive - deleting files, removing underused
      software, etc...

      when i look in the add/remove programmes list, by far the biggest consumer of disk space
      is NoteTab. in fact, there are 2 entries for it: "NoteTab Pro" and "NoteTab Pro (Remove
      Only)".

      both are shown as having a size of 300mb! this duplication only applies to NoteTab.
      right-clicking on the NoteTab Pro folder shows the actual size of it's contents to be
      66.1mb (i have a few additional bits and pieces tucked away in there).

      is this typical? why are the sizes shown so large? is it safe to delete one or the other
      of the displayed entries for NoteTab, without risking the programme itself?

      i'm using winxp, if that makes any odds.

      tia,

      paul
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 11, 2003
        paul wrote:

        >hi all,
        >

        >when i look in the add/remove programmes list, by far the biggest consumer of disk space
        >is NoteTab. in fact, there are 2 entries for it: "NoteTab Pro" and "NoteTab Pro (Remove
        >Only)".
        >
        >both are shown as having a size of 300mb! this duplication only applies to NoteTab.
        >right-clicking on the NoteTab Pro folder shows the actual size of it's contents to be
        >66.1mb (i have a few additional bits and pieces tucked away in there).
        >
        >i'm using winxp, if that makes any odds.
        >
        >tia,
        >
        >paul

        Paul,

        I, also, am using XP. My information shows only one entry, 'NoteTab Pro
        (Remove Only). The size shows 118 MB.

        I have loads of subfolders and command line utilities added in but I
        guess the size shows only things pertinent to NoteTab Pro.

        hrs
      • musingman@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 13, 2003
          Hello Paul!

          I also use WindowsXP Pro. NoteTab Pro consumes about 2MB. I downloaded a
          bunch of other things associated with NoteTab, but NOT one of them is more
          than about 345 Kb (that file contains the help files). My suggestion is that
          you download a new copy of NoteTab Pro (you might need to contact the site
          from which you made your original download and explain to them what happened,
          unless you have downloaded NoteTab within the past three days).

          By the way, does NoteTab actually function on your machine? There is NO WAY
          that the .exe file should be that big.

          I hope this helps.

          David In Charlotte, NC
          musingman@...

        • paul
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 14, 2003
            hi dave,

            thanx for the reply.

            well, i finally managed to locate my back up copy of notetab setup.exe and have
            successfully deinstalled/reinstalled. the anomalous listing details in the add/remove
            section are now correct and all seems to be as it should.

            the only bum note is that i lost all of my favorites lists. these were extensive and an
            important part of my work order, so building them from scratch is going to be time
            consuming. why this happened when the clipbooks were left entirely intact, i've no idea.
            v. frustrating but at least everything is in working order.

            for what it's worth, the add/remove problem seems to have been caused by my upgrading from
            win98 to winxp. it's the only notetab related issue i've encountered, though. if only all
            programmes were as accommodating...

            cheers,

            paul

            > I also use WindowsXP Pro. NoteTab Pro consumes about 2MB. I downloaded a
            > bunch of other things associated with NoteTab, but NOT one of them is more
            > than about 345 Kb (that file contains the help files). My suggestion is that
            > you download a new copy of NoteTab Pro (you might need to contact the site
            > from which you made your original download and explain to them what happened,
            > unless you have downloaded NoteTab within the past three days).
            >
            > By the way, does NoteTab actually function on your machine? There is NO WAY
            > that the .exe file should be that big.
            >
            > I hope this helps.
            >
            > David In Charlotte, NC
            > musingman@...

          • Willaim Winters
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 14, 2003
              hi dave,

              I think there is an .ini file that contains the favorite list. you might save yourself some work if you can retrieve it from the recycle bin.

              Regards,

              William Winters
              Editor, Health Busters

              > I also use WindowsXP Pro. NoteTab Pro consumes about 2MB. I downloaded a
              > bunch of other things associated with NoteTab, but NOT one of them is more
              > than about 345 Kb (that file contains the help files). My suggestion is that
              > you download a new copy of NoteTab Pro (you might need to contact the site
              > from which you made your original download and explain to them what happened,
              > unless you have downloaded NoteTab within the past three days).
              >
              > By the way, does NoteTab actually function on your machine? There is NO WAY
              > that the .exe file should be that big.
              >
              > I hope this helps.
              >
              > David In Charlotte, NC
              > musingman@...

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 14, 2003
                Hi Paul,

                >when i look in the add/remove programmes list, by far the biggest
                >consumer of disk space is NoteTab. in fact, there are 2 entries
                >for it: "NoteTab Pro" and "NoteTab Pro (Remove Only)".

                Search your drive using Find for NotePro.exe That will find all
                your NoteTab Pro installations. I suspect that the one that does
                not say (Remove Only) is from an earlier version, but that is
                just a guess. While your at the folder(s) click around for
                awhile to see if there is anything out of the ordinary in them.

                >both are shown as having a size of 300mb! this duplication only
                >applies to NoteTab. right-clicking on the NoteTab Pro folder
                >shows the actual size of it's contents to be 66.1mb (i have a few
                >additional bits and pieces tucked away in there).

                The is the folder properties of a default full install. It will
                vary slightly depending on if you installed from the version that
                comes with the dictionaries in the installation program or not.
                The Add or Remove Programs via the Control Panel should show in
                the neighborhood of what the folder properties are.

                NoteTab Pro 4.92
                Size 4.67 MB (4,898,956 bytes)
                Size on Disk 5.11 MB (5,361,664 bytes)
                142 Files 7 Folders

                >is this typical? why are the sizes shown so large? is it safe to
                >delete one or the other of the displayed entries for NoteTab,
                >without risking the programme itself?

                Maybe you are downloading files into a directory in NoteTab's
                folder structure. :-) I think you will need to sort it out for
                yourself by going to the folders and do what you need to do. You
                might take a look at your shortcuts that you start NoteTab with
                and concern yourself with that install for the most part. Once
                you know where it is you can poke around in it; check the version
                number from Help | About. If you find another install, check its
                version as well. Once you figure out what you are keeping, you
                might want to zip up the one you want to trash and then go in its
                main folder and click on Uninstall.exe. You can always come back
                and delete the zip file later. You might see a bunch of junk in
                it though and trash it all *after* you use the Uninstall.exe - or
                use it first and then zip. ;) NoteTab shouldn't remove any of
                your files. (The ini is not yours although you may think it is.
                <bg> Ever since NoteTab removed my NoteTab.ini back around v2.63d
                or 3.0 I've had plenty of backups. ;) Your work in one of
                NoteTab's installed Libraries is not yours either as far as the
                uninstall goes.

                Oh, the (Remove only) just means that there are no choices to
                make once you click the [Change/Remove] button, except for most
                programs will warn/ask if you want to remove it. Some of your
                programs, the newer and larger ones might have two buttons when
                you click in the area. Word 2002 and PSP Anniversary have
                [Change] and also [Remove]. The some might surprise you and go
                right into an uninstall right away with no warning. <g>

                Happy Tab'n,

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 14, 2003
                  Hi Paul,

                  >the only bum note is that i lost all of my favorites lists. these
                  >were extensive and an important part of my work order, so
                  >building them from scratch is going to be time consuming. why
                  >this happened when the clipbooks were left entirely intact, i've
                  >no idea. v. frustrating but at least everything is in working order.

                  Uh, sorry I was late. ...and I forgot about the Favorites
                  anyway, but that is one of the reasons I mentioned to zip it all
                  up first. (If you had of uninstalled first and then zipped up,
                  you would have lost the .fvr's. Eric believes those belong to
                  him also. <bg> I grin because I can remember "jumping all over
                  Eric" years ago for deleting **my** NoteTab ini file!!! :) You'll
                  get over it. Look at it this way, in a few hours or whatever you
                  will have a fresh clean install just the way you want it. :) I
                  really ought to do mine sometime; it's been years and there are
                  about 208MB under it now. ;)

                  So, add to this, backup FVR files in the Favorites folder as well.
                  NoteTab shouldn't remove any of your files. (The INI is not
                  yours although you may think it is. <bg> Ever since NoteTab
                  removed my NoteTab INI back around v2.63d or 3.0 I've had plenty
                  of backups. ;) Your work in one of NoteTab's installed Libraries
                  is not yours either as far as the uninstall goes.

                  Personally, and I know you feel this way at the moment, I like
                  the programs that leave any files like ini or support files that
                  can be edited like NoteTab's Libraries (if they have changed) in
                  the folder with a popup saying you have to remove them manually
                  or at least a prompt that says, "Delete them anyway?" I'm sure
                  it is a support issue for the most part and pretty much standard
                  protocol. You might not feel like hearing it, but...

                  Happy Tab'n,

                • David
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 14, 2003
                    Hi
                    The best idea I think as soon as you get nts set up the way you want it ,
                    take a copy of the whole folder take the lot dump on partition or CD and it
                    even run just as the original does , if any thing goes weird you got a copy.
                    THANKYOU DAVE
                    > I also use WindowsXP Pro. NoteTab Pro consumes about 2MB. I downloaded a
                    > bunch of other things associated with NoteTab, but NOT one of them is more
                    > than about 345 Kb (that file contains the help files). My suggestion is
                    that
                    > you download a new copy of NoteTab Pro (you might need to contact the site
                    > from which you made your original download and explain to them what
                    happened,
                    > unless you have downloaded NoteTab within the past three days).
                    >
                    > By the way, does NoteTab actually function on your machine? There is NO
                    WAY
                    > that the .exe file should be that big.
                    >
                    > I hope this helps.
                    >
                    > David In Charlotte, NC
                    > musingman@...

                  • paul
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 14, 2003
                      hi jody,

                      thank for all the details contained in your previous mail and in this one.

                      > >the only bum note is that i lost all of my favorites lists. these
                      > >were extensive and an important part of my work order, so
                      > >building them from scratch is going to be time consuming. why
                      > >this happened when the clipbooks were left entirely intact, i've
                      > >no idea. v. frustrating but at least everything is in working order.
                      >
                      > Uh, sorry I was late. ...and I forgot about the Favorites
                      > anyway, but that is one of the reasons I mentioned to zip it all
                      > up first. (If you had of uninstalled first and then zipped up,
                      > you would have lost the .fvr's. Eric believes those belong to
                      > him also. <bg> I grin because I can remember "jumping all over
                      > Eric" years ago for deleting **my** NoteTab ini file!!! :) You'll
                      > get over it. Look at it this way, in a few hours or whatever you
                      > will have a fresh clean install just the way you want it. :) I
                      > really ought to do mine sometime; it's been years and there are
                      > about 208MB under it now. ;)

                      makes my 67mb seem quite reasonable! ;-)

                      i'm kicking myself actually. i have in my possession a very nifty piece of back up-ware
                      called 'second copy 2002' (http://www.centered.com) which is perfect for this type of
                      situation but i didn't have my thinking cap on. anyhoo, it's now set up for incremental
                      back ups of the .fvrs folder, here on in.

                      i think i was lulled into a false sense of security having done numerous upgrades over the
                      past few years. of course, these leave your personal settings well alone...

                      > So, add to this, backup FVR files in the Favorites folder as well.
                      > NoteTab shouldn't remove any of your files. (The INI is not
                      > yours although you may think it is. <bg> Ever since NoteTab
                      > removed my NoteTab INI back around v2.63d or 3.0 I've had plenty
                      > of backups. ;) Your work in one of NoteTab's installed Libraries
                      > is not yours either as far as the uninstall goes.

                      just as well i created my own libraries then, instead of tampering with the existing ones.

                      > Personally, and I know you feel this way at the moment, I like
                      > the programs that leave any files like ini or support files that
                      > can be edited like NoteTab's Libraries (if they have changed) in
                      > the folder with a popup saying you have to remove them manually
                      > or at least a prompt that says, "Delete them anyway?" I'm sure
                      > it is a support issue for the most part and pretty much standard
                      > protocol. You might not feel like hearing it, but...
                      >
                      > Happy Tab'n,
                      > Jody Adair

                      guess what? i'm in agreement with you! ;-) if a file is editable you should at least be
                      give the option of retaining them. the pop-up alert would be an ideal solution but it's no
                      use crying over deleted files... i'll still be moving up to the much anticpated v.5 when
                      it lands.