Accessibility Issues

  • Veli-Pekka Tätilä
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8 2:40 AM
      Hi,
      I'm visually impaired and using Supernova v5.11
      (http://www.dolphinuk.co.uk/) in Windows XP as my screen reader. I'm
      running NoteTab Pro 4.92 as my main text editor.

      I've got a couple of minor accessibility issues with NTB. I hope
      these will be addressed in the future and of course any suggestions
      for possible fixes are welcome, too. Here are the issues:

      1. When I turn on the insertion mode, my screen reader loses focus.
      In other words, nothing is spoken if I move the cursor and the
      magnification and braille don't track the cursor any more. I think
      this could be fixd by changing the way the visible cursor change is
      done. Howabout increasing the caret width in real time (supported
      under ME, 2k and XP I think)?

      2. WHen I'm on the last line of the main text box and the scroll bar
      is shown, Supernova prompts "vertical scrollbar" after reading the
      line. An option to permanently hide this scroll bar as in MS Word
      would be nice.

      3. WHen using braille in logical mode, the document tabs (filenames)
      are shown at the start of every line before the actual content. I
      wish there was a way to auto hide the tab bar so that you could still
      swich documents on the keyboard and the tab bar would reappear when
      hovering over it like the auto-hidden Taskbar does in Windows.

      With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila
      @...)
      Accessibility, game music, synthesizers and more:
      http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 10 11:46 AM
        Hi Veli-Pekka,

        Currently we only have the Blind User Mode to check which does
        the following. As far as the other items you listed, I'll send
        them on to Eric to make sure he takes note of it for future
        releases. (He is busy programming now; "reclusive mode" :-)

        The feature is at View | Options | General and is called:

        Blind User Mode:
        Autoscroll hides dialog when active and message dialog boxes make
        a sound when displayed. The Find dialog box will automatically
        close after a search operation and the Replace dialog box will
        close after a "Replace All" operation. When an item is selected
        from the Quick List, Outline, or Clipbook list, the focus remains
        on the list control instead of jumping back to the document. This
        makes it easier to use NoteTab with screen readers.

        >I'm visually impaired and using Supernova v5.11
        >(http://www.dolphinuk.co.uk/) in Windows XP as my screen reader. I'm
        >running NoteTab Pro 4.92 as my main text editor.
        >
        >I've got a couple of minor accessibility issues with NTB. I hope
        >these will be addressed in the future and of course any suggestions
        >for possible fixes are welcome, too. Here are the issues:
        >
        >1. When I turn on the insertion mode, my screen reader loses focus.
        >In other words, nothing is spoken if I move the cursor and the
        >magnification and braille don't track the cursor any more. I think
        >this could be fixd by changing the way the visible cursor change is
        >done. Howabout increasing the caret width in real time (supported
        >under ME, 2k and XP I think)?
        >
        >2. When I'm on the last line of the main text box and the scroll bar
        >is shown, Supernova prompts "vertical scrollbar" after reading the
        >line. An option to permanently hide this scroll bar as in MS Word
        >would be nice.
        >
        >3. When using braille in logical mode, the document tabs (filenames)
        >are shown at the start of every line before the actual content. I
        >wish there was a way to auto hide the tab bar so that you could still
        >swich documents on the keyboard and the tab bar would reappear when
        >hovering over it like the auto-hidden Taskbar does in Windows.

        Happy Tab'n,