[NTB] undo greyed out - it gets worse

  • DaddyVL
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31 11:29 AM
      If I can't undo, I'm thinking the heck with this I'll have to start over
      with a fresh unaltered copy, I'll just close it and it will say "this has
      been changed, do you want to save changes?" and I'll say no.
      Guess what, it saved automatically the butchered up stuff!
      I'm not sure this is user-friendly to get into situations you can't back out
      of at all.

      Clifford in Houston

      PS - I'm using NTP 4.01 trial that I'm going to register tomorrow (well,
      probably)

      ----
    • Lawrence R. Thomas
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 31 12:02 PM
        At 01:29 PM 7/31/98 -0500, Clifford wrote:
        >If I can't undo, I'm thinking the heck with this I'll have to start over
        >with a fresh unaltered copy, I'll just close it and it will say "this has
        >been changed, do you want to save changes?" and I'll say no.
        >Guess what, it saved automatically the butchered up stuff!
        >I'm not sure this is user-friendly to get into situations you can't back out
        >of at all.
        >
        >Clifford in Houston
        >
        >PS - I'm using NTP 4.01 trial that I'm going to register tomorrow (well,
        >probably)

        When you can't undo an open document and you have a good copy saved Select
        Edit/Reload. You will get a message "Confirm reload name?". Answer yes
        and the good document from your hard drive will be loaded and replace the
        messed up document. If you do this by accident and don't want to lose the
        open document as you have changed it answer no and you can then save it or
        save as under another name if you want to keep the original document on
        your hard drive.

        Larry Thomas
        larryt@...

        ----
      • DaddyVL
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 31 1:15 PM
          At 02:02 PM 7/31/98 -0500, you wrote:
          >At 01:29 PM 7/31/98 -0500, Clifford wrote:
          >>If I can't undo, I'm thinking the heck with this I'll have to start over
          >>with a fresh unaltered copy, I'll just close it and it will say "this has
          >>been changed, do you want to save changes?" and I'll say no.
          >>Guess what, it saved automatically the butchered up stuff!
          >>I'm not sure this is user-friendly to get into situations you can't back out
          >>of at all.
          >>
          >>Clifford in Houston
          >>
          >>PS - I'm using NTP 4.01 trial that I'm going to register tomorrow (well,
          >>probably)
          >
          >When you can't undo an open document and you have a good copy saved Select
          >Edit/Reload. You will get a message "Confirm reload name?". Answer yes
          >and the good document from your hard drive will be loaded and replace the
          >messed up document. If you do this by accident and don't want to lose the
          >open document as you have changed it answer no and you can then save it or
          >save as under another name if you want to keep the original document on
          >your hard drive.
          >

          >Larry Thomas
          >larryt@...

          Thanks for response - I'm just bitterly disappointed about losing 2 hours of
          work because it was advertised as multiple undo.

          What's the big deal about undoing a paste? - ------ Mr Fookes????

          All the more surprising because of the overall extremely high tenor of the
          rest of the program.

          What you're saying is probably true, but it's one more thing to add to
          growing mental list of things to remember:
          (when you do X, remember to do H, then Q then W)

          and it makes me nervous thinking "what else is going to screw up because of
          some undocumented special thing I should know"

          Sorry, didn't mean to rant - just very surprised at such a basic thing after
          visiting all the web sites lauding the program.

          Clifford in Houston

          ----
        • Lawrence R. Thomas
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 31 1:34 PM
            At 03:15 PM 7/31/98 -0500, Clifford wrote:
            >Thanks for response - I'm just bitterly disappointed about losing 2 hours of
            >work because it was advertised as multiple undo.
            >
            >What's the big deal about undoing a paste? - ------ Mr Fookes????
            >
            >All the more surprising because of the overall extremely high tenor of the
            >rest of the program.
            >
            >What you're saying is probably true, but it's one more thing to add to
            >growing mental list of things to remember:
            >(when you do X, remember to do H, then Q then W)
            >
            >and it makes me nervous thinking "what else is going to screw up because of
            >some undocumented special thing I should know"
            >
            >Sorry, didn't mean to rant - just very surprised at such a basic thing after
            >visiting all the web sites lauding the program.
            >
            >Clifford in Houston

            I have a registered copy (Version 4.011iw) and I have not been able to
            duplicate the problem you describe. My undo button does not grey out even
            after pasting large blocks of text and I can do multiple undo's. If I save
            a test file and then deliberately mess it up with pastes including using
            the document as a pasteboard and then try to close the document, it gives
            me the same message you described. But when I answer no, it just closes
            without saving which is exactly what it should be doing.

            Larry Thomas
            larryt@...

            ----
          • Jody Adair
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 31 3:05 PM
              Hi Larry,

              >I have aregistered copy (Version 4.011iw) and I have not
              >been able to duplicate the problem you describe. My undo
              >button does not grey out even after pasting large blocks
              >of text and I can do multiple undo's.

              H="Add From clipboard"
              I don't know if this is what you all are talking about, but
              if I add a new heading and then paste text into the outline
              after the heading is added, that text cannot be undone (NTP
              4.5, final beta#1). The same thing if I "Add from Clipboard"
              with or w/o the H="Heading Format." Once the file is edited
              and saved, then I can do multilevel undos, but only to the
              point where I added new text to what was there already in the
              "Add Header" or "Add from Clipboard." Reload does not make a
              difference; I still cannot undo that text. I realize I can
              select and delete. :)

              However, I cannot redo/undo after save even though I have that
              marked in options.

              I noticed this in the HTML to OTL I am working on and have
              just now been able to isolate it. Thanks for giving me more
              info on it! :) It might explain some of the problems I have
              been having.

              c ya,
              Jody
              Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

              http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611

              ----
            • DaddyVL
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 31 3:24 PM
                At 05:05 PM 7/31/98 -0500, you wrote:
                >Hi Larry,
                >
                >>I have aregistered copy (Version 4.011iw) and I have not
                >>been able to duplicate the problem you describe. My undo
                >>button does not grey out even after pasting large blocks
                >>of text and I can do multiple undo's.
                >

                >H="Add From clipboard"
                >I don't know if this is what you all are talking about, but
                >if I add a new heading and then paste text into the outline
                >after the heading is added, that text cannot be undone (NTP
                >4.5, final beta#1). The same thing if I "Add from Clipboard"
                >with or w/o the H="Heading Format." Once the file is edited
                >and saved, then I can do multilevel undos, but only to the
                >point where I added new text to what was there already in the
                >"Add Header" or "Add from Clipboard." Reload does not make a
                >difference; I still cannot undo that text. I realize I can
                >select and delete. :)

                Apparently if the paste is into (any of) the just-created heading text wimdow
                it stays greyed out.

                As an experiment I saved, then pasted - !! undo button shows up !! BUT

                went to different heading window and pasted, goes gray...

                saved it again did paste in different text window, GOT the undo button!!

                went to another text window, (button turned gray) did paste - NO UNDO

                What to do?

                >However, I cannot redo/undo after save even though I have that
                >marked in options.
                >
                >I noticed this in the HTML to OTL I am working on and have
                >just now been able to isolate it. Thanks for giving me more
                >info on it! :) It might explain some of the problems I have
                >been having.
                >
                >c ya,
                >Jody
                >Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23
                >
                >http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611
                >

                >----
                >Read this list on the Web at http://www.makelist.com/list/notetab/
                >--
                >Start a FREE E-Mail List at http://www.makelist.com !

                ----
              • Lawrence R. Thomas
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 31 3:31 PM
                  At 05:05 PM 7/31/98 -0500, Jody wrote:
                  >Hi Larry,
                  >
                  >>I have aregistered copy (Version 4.011iw) and I have not
                  >>been able to duplicate the problem you describe. My undo
                  >>button does not grey out even after pasting large blocks
                  >>of text and I can do multiple undo's.
                  >
                  >H="Add From clipboard"
                  >I don't know if this is what you all are talking about, but
                  >if I add a new heading and then paste text into the outline
                  >after the heading is added, that text cannot be undone (NTP
                  >4.5, final beta#1). The same thing if I "Add from Clipboard"
                  >with or w/o the H="Heading Format." Once the file is edited
                  >and saved, then I can do multilevel undos, but only to the
                  >point where I added new text to what was there already in the
                  >"Add Header" or "Add from Clipboard." Reload does not make a
                  >difference; I still cannot undo that text. I realize I can
                  >select and delete. :)
                  >
                  >However, I cannot redo/undo after save even though I have that
                  >marked in options.

                  I have checked further and this affects v 4.011iw and v4.50 final beta
                  both. It appears to only affect the undo button when using or editing otl
                  files not regular text files as I was doing before. If I create a new otl
                  file and enter a new header and add some text to it, the undo button stays
                  greyed out and unavailable. It does not matter whether I type in the text
                  or paste it in - same result. I cannot undo the result. If after entering
                  some text and with the undo button staying greyed out, I switch to another
                  open document (any open document otl or not) and then switch back, the undo
                  button becomes available and works. It only works as Jody said on the last
                  heading opened. You cannot go back to earlier entries and get it to work.
                  It does not do multiple undo's. It will work in a previous heading if you
                  enter more text into that heading and then select another document tab and
                  then switch back but it will only work for the text you just
                  entered/pasted. It actually does not look to me like pasting text makes a
                  difference. You can get the same results typing it in.

                  In a normal text document the undo button becomes available just as soon as
                  you start entering text into the document. I have still not been able to
                  duplicate Curtis' "save on close" problem.

                  Larry Thomas
                  larryt@...

                  ----
                • Jody Adair
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 31 3:46 PM
                    Hi DaddyVL,

                    >What to do?

                    Wait for Eric's reply unless somebody else knows something we don't.

                    >Apparently if the paste is into (any of) the just-created heading text wimdow it stays greyed out.
                    >As an experiment I saved, then pasted - !! undo button shows up !! BUT
                    >went to different heading window and pasted, goes gray...
                    >saved it again did paste in different text window, GOT the undo button!!
                    >went to another text window, (button turned gray) did paste - NO UNDO

                    c ya,
                    Jody
                    Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                    http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611

                    ----
                  • Len & Mary
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 31 3:46 PM
                      Hi Clifford and Larry;

                      One quick question, did you have auto save on?
                      Undo greys out if no changes have been made since the last save.

                      We probably all know the feeling when work is lost.

                      Len

                      >>Thanks for response - I'm just bitterly disappointed about losing 2 hours of
                      >>work because it was advertised as multiple undo.
                      >>
                      >>What's the big deal about undoing a paste?
                      >>Clifford in Houston

                      >I have a registered copy (Version 4.011iw) and I have not been able to
                      >duplicate the problem you describe. My undo button does not grey out even
                      >after pasting large blocks of text and I can do multiple undo's. If I save
                      >a test file and then deliberately mess it up with pastes including using
                      >the document as a pasteboard and then try to close the document, it gives
                      >me the same message you described. But when I answer no, it just closes
                      >without saving which is exactly what it should be doing.
                      >Larry Thomas
                      >larryt@...

                      Len & Mary <mjlohj@...>

                      ----
                    • Eric G.V. Fookes
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 1, 1998
                        Hi Clifford,

                        >As an experiment I saved, then pasted - !! undo button shows up !! BUT
                        >went to different heading window and pasted, goes gray...

                        In outline documents, changing between topics resets the undo/redo buffer
                        as well as bookmarks. These features are associated with the input control
                        and since only one is used per outline document, NoteTab can only store
                        undo/redo and bookmark information for a single topic at a time while it is
                        active. I do hope to have the time to improve this feature in the future...

                        Otherwise, undo/redo and bookmarks should work normally within an outline
                        topic. But as you have demonstrated in a previous message, there is a bug
                        which needs fixing. I'm surprised it wasn't discovered sooner.

                        Best regards,
                        Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
                        Author of the award-winning NoteTab text editors for Windows
                        and also the 1998 "People's Choice" award!

                        ----
                      • Nicole Simon
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 3, 1998
                          DaddyVL wrote:
                          > Thanks for response - I'm just bitterly disappointed about losing 2 hours of
                          > work because it was advertised as multiple undo.
                          >
                          > What's the big deal about undoing a paste? - ------ Mr Fookes????

                          Works like a charme here - and I use it a lot.

                          I even have checked 'Undo after save' and it works without problem.

                          Nicole
                          --
                          Money is a powerful aphrodisiac, but flowers work almost as well.
                          Robert A. Heinlein

                          ----