Re: [NTB] Program stops responding

  • Pat
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 4, 2003
      The file, browsers.dat, is in notetab's program directory and is only read by notetab. it's safe to edit it.

      pat

      At 3/4/2003, you wrote:
      >Are you talking about the DAT.file that is called Browsers?
      >If so, it says I could damage my system by changing it and also what
      >program should I use to open it?Linda--- In
      >notetab@yahoogroups.com, "W. Murray" <webmaster@t...> wrote:
      >> Are you using Win ME. This came up a few days ago and I was
      >having the
      >> same problem. Jody posted the following suggestion and it worked
      >for me.
      >>
      >> If you are running WinME open Browsers.dat found in NoteTab's main
      >folder
      >> and in the [IE] section change dde=1 to dde=0. You'll need to do
      >that with
      >> your other browsers that use dde if any.
      >>
      >> Bill

    • John Oney
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 4, 2003
        Yes Thank You. it works just fine now by replacing the 1 with 0 in
        Browser.dat
        > Are you using Win ME. This came up a few days ago and I was having the
        > same problem. Jody posted the following suggestion and it worked for me.
        >
        > If you are running WinME open Browsers.dat found in NoteTab's main folder
        > and in the [IE] section change dde=1 to dde=0. You'll need to do that
        with
        > your other browsers that use dde if any.
        >
        > Bill

        ---
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 5, 2003
          > ... and increased the room for cache ...

          I believe that IE (4,5,6) by default takes way way to much space for its
          cache and in fact the large cache it is quite happy to keep and keep and
          keep causes more problems than it solves.

          I'd suggest setting it down to around 10 MB and only increasing it if (a)
          you're running dial-up rather than high-speed (cable or equivalent) and (b)
          you can detect jerkiness - indicating that stuff from the cache is getting
          grabbed quickly while stuff that has to be downloaded is coming up
          unacceptably slower.

          Note ... just clearing the cache and / or decreasing its size probably won't
          have any impact on your underlying problem, but I don't think it can hurt.

          Actually, reading what you said > ...it worked for a while and then it
          stoped responding ... <
          Maybe that is the whole problem.

          You said originally: > I have windows Me and Internet Exployer5.0 <
          I know its *possible* to get WinME to work in general, but an awful lot of
          people have an awful lot of problems with it that don't seem to occur with
          Win98 or Win2K/XP.

          Regards ... Alec