Re: [NTB] Program stops responding

  • Pat
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 4, 2003
      At 3/4/2003, you wrote:
      >I have NoteTab pro 4.92 Full Version
      >It will work sometimes for a while and then everytime I try to view
      >in my default browser it stops responding. It is so frustrating I
      >cant get any work done at all. I have unistalled and reinstalled from
      >the disk.
      >Can somebody help me?
      >I have windows Me and Internet Exployer5.0

      just a hunch -- is the browser already open when this happens? is it on the task bar? have you opened it from the task bar? Some times explorer loads a page but doesn't always "maximize" the window at the same time

      paT

    • rtdodge99 <oneyjohn1@qwest.net>
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 4, 2003
        I have the same thing Going on. but running Exployer6.0
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Pat <kitpath@e...> wrote:
        > At 3/4/2003, you wrote:
        > >I have NoteTab pro 4.92 Full Version
        > >It will work sometimes for a while and then everytime I try to
        view
        > >in my default browser it stops responding. It is so frustrating I
        > >cant get any work done at all. I have unistalled and reinstalled
        from
        > >the disk.
        > >Can somebody help me?
        > >I have windows Me and Internet Exployer5.0
        >

        > just a hunch -- is the browser already open when this happens? is
        it on the task bar? have you opened it from the task bar? Some times
        explorer loads a page but doesn't always "maximize" the window at the
        same time

        > paT
        >

        > >To unsubscribe click on address below and send the message empty:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Pat
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 4, 2003
          maybe the cache is interfering. you could delete history and see if performance improves.

          At 3/4/2003, rtdodge99 <oneyjohn1@...> wrote:
          >I have the same thing Going on. but running Exployer6.0

          >--- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Pat <kitpath@e...> wrote:
          >> At 3/4/2003, you wrote:
          >> >I have NoteTab pro 4.92 Full Version
          >> >It will work sometimes for a while and then everytime I try to
          >view
          >> >in my default browser it stops responding. It is so frustrating I
          >> >cant get any work done at all. I have unistalled and reinstalled
          >from
          >> >the disk.
          >> >Can somebody help me?
          >> >I have windows Me and Internet Exployer5.0
          >>

          >> just a hunch -- is the browser already open when this happens? is
          >it on the task bar? have you opened it from the task bar? Some times
          >explorer loads a page but doesn't always "maximize" the window at the
          >same time
          >>
          >> paT
          >>

          >> >To unsubscribe click on address below and send the message empty:

          >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • W. Murray
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 4, 2003
            Are you using Win ME. This came up a few days ago and I was having the
            same problem. Jody posted the following suggestion and it worked for me.

            If you are running WinME open Browsers.dat found in NoteTab's main folder
            and in the [IE] section change dde=1 to dde=0. You'll need to do that with
            your other browsers that use dde if any.

            Bill
            It will work sometimes for a while and then everytime I try to view
            in my default browser it stops responding. It is so frustrating I
            cant get any work done at all. I have unistalled and reinstalled from
            the disk.
            Can somebody help me?
            I have windows Me and Internet Exployer5.0

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • lindason42
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 4, 2003
              Well I updated to IE6 and increased the room for cache. I thought I
              had fixed the problem because it worked for a while and then it
              stoped responding again! I dont think it is because the browser is
              not coming up as suggested, because it totally Freezes up. It wont
              respond at all. What next?
            • lindason42
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 4, 2003
                Are you talking about the DAT.file that is called Browsers?
                If so, it says I could damage my system by changing it and also what
                program should I use to open it?Linda--- In
                notetab@yahoogroups.com, "W. Murray" <webmaster@t...> wrote:
                > Are you using Win ME. This came up a few days ago and I was
                having the
                > same problem. Jody posted the following suggestion and it worked
                for me.

                > If you are running WinME open Browsers.dat found in NoteTab's main
                folder
                > and in the [IE] section change dde=1 to dde=0. You'll need to do
                that with
                > your other browsers that use dde if any.
                >
                > Bill

                Service.

              • Pat
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 4, 2003
                  The file, browsers.dat, is in notetab's program directory and is only read by notetab. it's safe to edit it.

                  pat

                  At 3/4/2003, you wrote:
                  >Are you talking about the DAT.file that is called Browsers?
                  >If so, it says I could damage my system by changing it and also what
                  >program should I use to open it?Linda--- In
                  >notetab@yahoogroups.com, "W. Murray" <webmaster@t...> wrote:
                  >> Are you using Win ME. This came up a few days ago and I was
                  >having the
                  >> same problem. Jody posted the following suggestion and it worked
                  >for me.
                  >>
                  >> If you are running WinME open Browsers.dat found in NoteTab's main
                  >folder
                  >> and in the [IE] section change dde=1 to dde=0. You'll need to do
                  >that with
                  >> your other browsers that use dde if any.
                  >>
                  >> Bill

                • John Oney
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 4, 2003
                    Yes Thank You. it works just fine now by replacing the 1 with 0 in
                    Browser.dat
                    > Are you using Win ME. This came up a few days ago and I was having the
                    > same problem. Jody posted the following suggestion and it worked for me.
                    >
                    > If you are running WinME open Browsers.dat found in NoteTab's main folder
                    > and in the [IE] section change dde=1 to dde=0. You'll need to do that
                    with
                    > your other browsers that use dde if any.
                    >
                    > Bill

                    ---
                  • Alec Burgess
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 5, 2003
                      > ... and increased the room for cache ...

                      I believe that IE (4,5,6) by default takes way way to much space for its
                      cache and in fact the large cache it is quite happy to keep and keep and
                      keep causes more problems than it solves.

                      I'd suggest setting it down to around 10 MB and only increasing it if (a)
                      you're running dial-up rather than high-speed (cable or equivalent) and (b)
                      you can detect jerkiness - indicating that stuff from the cache is getting
                      grabbed quickly while stuff that has to be downloaded is coming up
                      unacceptably slower.

                      Note ... just clearing the cache and / or decreasing its size probably won't
                      have any impact on your underlying problem, but I don't think it can hurt.

                      Actually, reading what you said > ...it worked for a while and then it
                      stoped responding ... <
                      Maybe that is the whole problem.

                      You said originally: > I have windows Me and Internet Exployer5.0 <
                      I know its *possible* to get WinME to work in general, but an awful lot of
                      people have an awful lot of problems with it that don't seem to occur with
                      Win98 or Win2K/XP.

                      Regards ... Alec