Re: [NTB] Win 98, NTP, Garbled toolbar

  • Gregory R. Haynes
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 1998
      / -----Original Message-----
      / From: Eric G.V. Fookes [mailto:Eric.Fookes@...]
      /
      / I don't really know what the exact reason is. It seems that some graphics
      / drivers don't correctly handle "image lists". I have had to use such a
      / component in NoteTab to save on system resources when creating the toolbar
      / since there are more than 80 buttons available (there aren't many programs
      / that offer this much).
      /
      / >Why doesn't this
      / >problem manifest itself in other programs?
      /
      / They probably didn't need to use image lists because their toolbar is less
      / configurable.

      I use WordPerfect 8 and CorelDraw 8, and I have more than 100 buttons on my
      custom toolbar and property bar (flat-look button style), and they work
      fine, even though NTP has the garbled images. I suspect that Corel (and
      perhaps others) use a proprietary method of displaying the toolbars, or that
      they use a newer method for the dockable bars that isn't supported in Delphi
      3 (Delphi 4 released not long ago, but may not support it either).

      I had the problem on a Vivper V330 PCI and on an STB Velocity 128 AGP on 2
      separate systems. Both cards have an STB chip and driver and Win98.

      / Increasing the color depth setting might solve the problem.

      Not on my systems; I already run at 16-bit color.

      My solution is to be patient for a new video driver, which usually fixes
      most glitches in applications and DirectX games. In the meantime, the
      toolbar buttons I use most I already know the locations of (or the shortcut
      keys), and the others I can point at and get tooltips--a slight
      inconvenience, but ok for now.

      When I encountered a problem with CorelDraw 4 and an ATI driver where the
      eyedropper always picked the adjacent color instead of the color being
      selected on a color palette, ATI's tech support was prompt to let me know
      the problem had been identified and would be fixed in the next driver (and
      it was fixed); I've heard similar reports about other companies.

      I submitted a report to STB via their website detailing the problem, and I
      think at least one other person has mentioned doing the same, so maybe we'll
      see an upcoming fix within a month or two.

      Greg

      Greg R. Haynes
      Web/Multimedia Designer
      Kansas SRS Supervisor Training Project, Kansas State University
      grh@..., http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~grh

      InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, K-State: http://www.ksu.edu/ivcf
      World Christian Fellowship, K-State: http://www.ksu.edu/wcf
      American Council on Rural Special Education: http://www.ksu.edu/acres

      ----
    • John
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 31, 1998
        Until some one fixes this for Windows 98 garble what I'm doing is
        changing my Toolbar Options.

        Click
        View | Options | Toolbar
        then enable
        "Show Captions" and "Show Tool Tips"

        Regards,
        John

        ----
      • Len & Mary
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 31, 1998
          Hi John and All;

          Is there a possibility some other program is incompatable with
          NoteTab? I experiment with a lot of software and I have seen
          several compatibility problems (not with NoteTab)
          The most recent was:
          P-Bar hidden at the top, Winsize enabled.
          Winsize checks for new open windows at specified intervals.
          Each time Winsize checked for new windows, P-Bar cycled visible
          and re-hidden. Rather disconcerting until I found the problem.

          Len & Mary <mjlohj@...>

          ----