RE: SAM and SAM.LOG

  • Marc Stober
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 2003
      Hi Ray:

      SAM and SAM.LOG are part of the Windows registry. When I try to open them in
      regular NotePAD, I get an error message that they are in use, which I
      suspect is why Notepad can't open them as well (albeit a more generic
      message). I suspect these files are constantly "in use" by the operating
      system and are related to the Security Access Manager component of Windows,
      so they are not designed to be opened, although nothing lost by being
      curious!

      Incidentally, the registry is a sort of database. Some people assume that
      any .log file is always just a text file that records things that already
      happened. Databases often have different sort of log, which is used is to
      maintain integrity of the database and should be considered as important a
      data file as the main database itself. This is true for SQL Server, for
      example, so it might be a similar situation for SAM.log. These types of log
      files are usually in a proprietary format, although I once saw a database
      system that had a text-file log.

      Hope this helps,
      Marc
      mstober@...