MDI and tab cycle order

  • bdclary <bdclary@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2003
      Hello,

      Just joined the list, but have been using NTP for a while now at work
      (since 4.5 I think). In anticipation of 5.0, I've had a couple of
      thoughts that I couldn't find using the search in Yahoo Groups, so I
      apologize if these have been covered before.

      MDI: Is anyone here familiar with the Opera web browser
      [www.opera.com]? Opera uses what they call MDI, or Multi Docuemnt
      Interface. Very close to tabbed browsing (such as what you'll find in
      Mozilla or Phoenix), but with some added functionality. In MDI, you
      can minimize or restore the individual tabs or "pages" as they call
      them. In regular tabbed browsing, all tabs are maximized (such as in
      NoteTab).

      My reason for this: common scenario at work involves me moving text
      from one file to another. If I unmaximize and resize the two files
      I'm working with, I could line them up side by side and simply drag
      the desired text from one file tab to the other. I've tried allowing
      multiple instances of NoteTab and dragged between instances, but that
      doesn't seem to work. For me, implementing MDI would add some welcome
      functionality.

      Tab Cycle Order: Currently, when I press ctrl-tab to switch tabs, the
      focus switches to the tab to the right. I would like the focus to
      switch to the most recently used tab. In the same manner, if I close
      a tab, the focus shifts to the tab to the left. I'd prefer the focus
      to switch to the most recently used tab. I haven't found a setting to
      change this.

      My reason for this: Since I can't simply drag text from one tab to
      another, I have to cut/copy and paste. If I'm using the keyboard,
      ctrl-tab is the easiest method to switch tabs. This works fine if I
      only have two tabs open, but I usually have at least five open during
      the day, so ctrl-tab doesn't simply switch back and forth between my
      two most recently used tabs.

      Opera also uses ctrl-tab to switch pages, but as you hold the key
      combo down, a list is displayed of open pages which you can cycle
      through with the tab key (similar to Windows' alt-tab).

      Would it be possible to add a setting in the options to set tab cycle
      order and maybe another setting to display a list of open tabs while
      holding down ctrl-tab?

      Comments/thoughts?

      Brian
    • Stefan Elssner
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 9, 2003
        Hello Brian,

        I can only strengthen the tips from Don's answer, and add 1 or two remarks:

        - From your scenario, CTRL-SHIFT-W for opening a second window in
        NoteTab really might help alot. There are some specialities when
        handling these windows from the keyboard -- however whenever in doubt
        hit F1 and the always good Help File should help you. The only thing
        _not_ working is having two windows to the _same_ file in this manner -
        AFAIK.

        - The straight order of jump to or close tabs comes very logical and
        handy together with the ability to reordering tabs as mentioned by Don.
        Right-Click on any tab, check 'Allow Reordering', and you can shift the
        document tabs in any order you like.

        - And try the Pasteboard feature as mentioned by Don. Sometimes _thats_
        the solution.

        :)

        Regards
        Stefan

        --
        Stefan Elssner
        mailto:elssner@...

        bdclary wrote:
        > Hello,
        >

        > Just joined the list, but have been using NTP for a while now at work
        > (since 4.5 I think). In anticipation of 5.0, I've had a couple of
        > thoughts that I couldn't find using the search in Yahoo Groups, so I
        > apologize if these have been covered before.
        >

        > MDI: Is anyone here familiar with the Opera web browser
        > [www.opera.com]? Opera uses what they call MDI, or Multi Docuemnt
        > Interface. Very close to tabbed browsing (such as what you'll find in
        > Mozilla or Phoenix), but with some added functionality. In MDI, you
        > can minimize or restore the individual tabs or "pages" as they call
        > them. In regular tabbed browsing, all tabs are maximized (such as in
        > NoteTab).
        >

        > My reason for this: common scenario at work involves me moving text
        > from one file to another. If I unmaximize and resize the two files
        > I'm working with, I could line them up side by side and simply drag
        > the desired text from one file tab to the other. I've tried allowing
        > multiple instances of NoteTab and dragged between instances, but that
        > doesn't seem to work. For me, implementing MDI would add some welcome
        > functionality.
        >

        > Tab Cycle Order: Currently, when I press ctrl-tab to switch tabs, the
        > focus switches to the tab to the right. I would like the focus to
        > switch to the most recently used tab. In the same manner, if I close
        > a tab, the focus shifts to the tab to the left. I'd prefer the focus
        > to switch to the most recently used tab. I haven't found a setting to
        > change this.
        >

        > My reason for this: Since I can't simply drag text from one tab to
        > another, I have to cut/copy and paste. If I'm using the keyboard,
        > ctrl-tab is the easiest method to switch tabs. This works fine if I
        > only have two tabs open, but I usually have at least five open during
        > the day, so ctrl-tab doesn't simply switch back and forth between my
        > two most recently used tabs.
        >

        > Opera also uses ctrl-tab to switch pages, but as you hold the key
        > combo down, a list is displayed of open pages which you can cycle
        > through with the tab key (similar to Windows' alt-tab).
        >

        > Would it be possible to add a setting in the options to set tab cycle
        > order and maybe another setting to display a list of open tabs while
        > holding down ctrl-tab?
        >

        > Comments/thoughts?
        >

        > Brian

        Bis zu 100 MB Speicher bei http://premiummail.yahoo.de
      • Stefan Elssner
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 9, 2003
          Help for the second window feature is in
          Reference Information | Menu Commands | Document Menu
          --
          Stefan Elssner
          mailto:elssner@...

          Bis zu 100 MB Speicher bei http://premiummail.yahoo.de
        • Brian Clary
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 10, 2003
            > Hello Brian,
            >
            > I can only strengthen the tips from Don's answer,
            > and add 1 or two remarks:
            >
            > - From your scenario, CTRL-SHIFT-W for opening a
            > second window in
            > NoteTab really might help alot. There are some
            > specialities when
            > handling these windows from the keyboard -- however
            > whenever in doubt
            > hit F1 and the always good Help File should help
            > you. The only thing
            > _not_ working is having two windows to the _same_
            > file in this manner -
            > AFAIK.

            Thanks. This second window tip from you and Don is
            just what I needed.

            > - The straight order of jump to or close tabs comes
            > very logical and
            > handy together with the ability to reordering tabs
            > as mentioned by Don.

            I think is more of a personal choice. Some, like me,
            find the "Recently used" tab order to be more
            intuitive, and others find the straight method more
            logical. Neither's right or wrong. What do you think
            of a setting (maybe in the tab bar section of the
            options) to choose the order of tab focus with
            ctrl-tab?

            > Right-Click on any tab, check 'Allow Reordering',
            > and you can shift the
            > document tabs in any order you like.

            I cannot find this when I right click on a tab. I'm
            using NTP 4.91. I do know that I can drag the tabs to
            any order. Very handy.

            > - And try the Pasteboard feature as mentioned by
            > Don. Sometimes _thats_
            > the solution.

            This wouldn't help me much since I need to drag to
            specific spots, but I can see the potential in this
            feature, and I like it.

            > :)
            >
            > Regards
            > Stefan