Select all in all open files

  • elbourne <delbourne@cox.net>
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 23, 2003
      I have 730 files that I need to use NoteTab's nifty "join lines"
      feature on. Is there a way to select all the text in all the files and
      run the "join lines" all at once?

      Don A. Elbourne Jr.
      http://elbourne.org
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 23, 2003
        Hi Don,

        Short of a Clip you could use the Replace tool to do it with. I
        suggest you make a copy of the files first by going into Windows
        Explorer (or My Computer) to the file location assuming they are
        all in one folder. Do a Ctrl+A over the files to select them and
        then a Ctrl+C to copy, then Ctrl+V to paste into another folder,
        or just drag/drop the whole folder while holding the Ctrl key
        down so that your mouse cursor changes to a plus sign letting you
        know you are making a copy.

        Also assuming that you have a blank line in between your
        paragraphs I'd open the files and click on the Replace tool.
        Check the box to do All Documents.

        Find ^p^p and Replace with <>~~<^p^p>~~<>

        or some other unique text. After that do a:

        Find ^p and Replace with a space (" " w/o the quotes)

        Finally,

        Find <>~~< >~~<> and Replace with ^p^p

        If NoteTab Pro complains about lines/paragraphs being too long,
        use NoteTab Light (www.notetab.com/download.htm) or use Search
        Disk instead, but definitely make sure you have a backup of the
        files.

        It would not be hard to write a Clip if you do something like
        this all the time, but you need to sign up for the Clips list and
        ask on it. Please see my signature line to subscribe to it. TIA

        >I have 730 files that I need to use NoteTab's nifty "join lines"
        >feature on. Is there a way to select all the text in all the
        >files and run the "join lines" all at once?

        Happy Clip'n!

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
      • elbourne <delbourne@cox.net>
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 23, 2003
          Jody,

          Thanks! that worked like a charm. I should have thought of that.
          Actually that was better than the "join lines" feature anyway, because
          I used one ^p instead of two in the last step, thus getting rid of the
          extra blank lines in the files. That did exactly what I needed.
          NoteTab is great.

          Don A. Elbourne Jr.
          http://elbourne.org

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 23, 2003
            Hi Don,

            Whatever works! I'm glad I did not help you make a total mess of
            your files. <g>

            >Thanks! that worked like a charm. I should have thought of that.
            >Actually that was better than the "join lines" feature anyway,
            >because I used one ^p instead of two in the last step, thus
            >getting rid of the extra blank lines in the files. That did
            >exactly what I needed. NoteTab is great.

          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 25, 2003
              Jody, and, or Eric,

              Earlier on the clips list a short discussion evolved about using a clip
              to gather data for the SearchDisk dialog. It's obvious copy&paste won't
              work unless you're using a clipboard utility that allows multiple saves.

              I decided to try altering NotePro.ini with no success, at least in the
              attempt to alter the SearchFiles section. I tried to do ^!SaveValue's
              in several different ways.

              I could save the desired values to an entirely new section I created in
              NotePro.ini but no matter what I tried I couldn't alter the SearchFiles
              section of the .ini unless I edited it manually and rebooted NotePro or
              used SearchDisk dialog.

              My question, is the SearchFiles section of NotePro.ini protected in some
              way to prevent access to it other that a manual edit or the SearchDisk
              dialog?

              I already have clips that edit, or manipulate the Find and Replace data
              in NotePro.ini with no trouble. Is there a way to change the
              SearchFiles data with a clip?

              hrs
            • Sheri <silvermoonwoman@comcast.net>
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 26, 2003
                Hi Harvey,

                This didn't cause me any problem. Did you try the little clip I had
                posted? To avoid some potential problems, add ^!ProgIniSave to the
                top of it.

                Probably better to discuss this further on the clips list.

                Regards,
                Sheri