Using "Filter Binary Codes"

  • byzant98 <cfethe@cougar.kean.edu>
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 12, 2002
      I tried to open a Word document in NoteTab and got the message that
      the file could not be fully loaded and I should use the
      option "Filter Binary Codes." Being new to NT, I am having a problem
      finding where this option is located. Also, am I right in assuming
      this option deletes the images in the original Word document?
      TIA,
      Charles
    • Julie
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 12, 2002
        Hi Charles,

        >I tried to open a Word document in NoteTab and got the message that
        >the file could not be fully loaded and I should use the
        >option "Filter Binary Codes." Being new to NT, I am having a problem
        >finding where this option is located. Also, am I right in assuming
        >this option deletes the images in the original Word document?

        Rather than me explaining this in a 'round about fashion, here's a
        cut-and-paste from the NoteTab Help file...

        <insert>
        My Word processor file looks funny in NoteTab and some text is lost!

        Files produced by word processors are usually not saved as plain text
        files. They contain all sorts of control codes that only the word processor
        that created them (or compatible programs) can understand. Word processors
        use those special control characters to store text formatting information
        (bold, italic, line spacing, paragraph alignment, etc.).

        The NoteTab editor only understands plain text files (that's why it is so
        fast compared to a word processor) and will display the special control
        characters as funny symbols or rectangles on the screen. Some of the
        control characters may be interpreted by NoteTab as signaling the end of a
        file. This explains why such files are rarely fully loaded in the editor.

        Unless you really know what you are doing, you should not edit or save such
        files with NoteTab. Doing this may render them unreadable to your word
        processor!
        </insert>

        Julie
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 12, 2002
          > byzant98 wrote:
          >
          > I tried to open a Word document in NoteTab and got the message that
          > the file could not be fully loaded and I should use the
          > option "Filter Binary Codes." Being new to NT, I am having a problem
          > finding where this option is located. Also, am I right in assuming
          > this option deletes the images in the original Word document?
          > TIA,
          > Charles

          Charles,

          Julie answered part of your question, I'll try to answer the other part.

          Filter Binary Codes is found at - View > Options > Files - down the left
          side.

          IMO No, simply loading a Word doc into NoteTab will not in any way alter
          the original file on disk. Just don't save it with the same name.
          However, images, or anything other than text will not display in
          NoteTab, it is a Text editor.

          hrs