Re: [NTB] Wake Up Printer

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 5, 2002
      Hi HRS,

      resources.<<<<

      That's definitely a possibility. If I were to close some big applications
      without re-booting, would that wake up a hung printer, or is it irretrievable
      once the printer freezes?

      Thanks for the insight.

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 6, 2002
        > Ray Shapp wrote:
        >
        > Hi HRS,
        >
        > That's definitely a possibility. If I were to close some big
        applications
        > without re-booting, would that wake up a hung printer, or is it
        irretrievable
        > once the printer freezes?
        >
        > Thanks for the insight.
        >
        > Ray Shapp
        > Watchung, NJ

        Ray,

        I'll respond here but lets take this OffTopic, it's not directly related
        to NoteTab usability.

        Yes, that may help, also opening and closing one or two other
        applications might help. It's kind of like memory CPR, kick it around
        to get it going again.

        Other items I recall helping: If this applies, You don't need the memory
        resident -printer control interface icon- in your tray, the printer
        starts just fine without it, and, if you're using a mouse control that
        adds an icon to the system tray you don't need that either.

        One thing you may lose, though not necessarily so, is mouse wheel
        scrolling, small price to pay for not having to reboot several times a day.

        One other, seemingly counter-productive item. I use a memory utility
        called RamIdle, there are others. Ramidle have a choice of what to
        display in the system tray and I display a resource meter.

        By getting used to and using the resource meter count you can watch for
        the critical percentage area and try the memory CPR methods before you
        actually start having too much trouble.

        Although I'm not the greatest of MS fans, I've been told that XP, for
        the most part, solves the resource problem.

        Zdnet has a nice gui utility, StartCop, to show and let you control most
        of the things you have running in the background, You can temporarily
        disable, or, remove these items from the Startup menu. Here's the link.

        http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,4148,2130,00.asp

        hrs